Its a small world!

Buy or sell parts etc. Please put 'Wanted' in the title if it is a request for parts.
tim leech

Its a small world!

Post by tim leech »

Small world isnt it,

My dads new company car in 1994 was a brand new Xantia 1.8iSX (M908HRY) to replace a highish miles 1991 BX19TGD (J511LAY), as a BX hatchback was no longer available he chose the new model, which I have to say gave 3 years of sterling service with no faults except a appetite for oil! After the 3 years(and 76000miles) was up the then boss decided that all new company cars (all 3 of them!) wouldl be Nissans as he himself had one and was very impressed with its 3 year warranty. :shock:

Rather discruntled by this (having run Citroens for 10 years) my dear old dad got a bit of a win and ended up with a top spec 2.0SE New shape Primera (96 onwards) complete with leather aircon 6 disc etc, much superior to the mid spec Xantia. At the time I was working for the same company (4 members of staff in all) so when the new Primera arrived the Xantia became a "spare" which I used for a while, I currently had a Saxo (having driven it regularly for 3 years already) before being sold in 1998 for not very much.

The Xantia was much missed as had become a faithful friend to Mum, Dad and I who all drove it regularly, and the Primera although much quicker and far better equipped was neither as comfortable or characterful!. Later that year dad died suddenly and the unloved Primera (R207NRA) was handed back to the company who sold it on. The xantia itself had been sold locally to a dealer and I saw it from time to time up until a few years ago when it seemed to dissappear (fearing that it had been scrapped) as it would have alot of miles on it by now and it being petrol!!

Fast forward 8 years to this morning (Monday) and my uncle rings me, to tell me that my cousin (his son) has a new girlfriend (another one!) and her father drives a red M plate xantia. You guessed it! same car! memories come flooding back especially as we lost dear dad very suddenly at christmas in 1998, I am currently trying to negotiate the purchase of our old friend as I am told its in excellent condition haveing been well maintained by its second owner who know is selling it on.

If that happens (which I hope it does) my lovely '93 19TXD with the leather and alloys will have to go to make room, will keep you posted and if anyones thinking of a very tidy bx with 10 months mot, and alot of history please let me know.

Thanks for reading.
Last edited by tim leech on Thu Aug 10, 2006 4:28 pm, edited 5 times in total.
M

Post by M »

Touching and I hope it comes to pass for you.

I regret selling two of my cars which belonged to my father -
VTC 263H - Austin 1300
D269 RFV - Austin Metro

both scrapped and my grandfathers Fiesta which Joanne had for many many years and drove till it fell to bits E372 KRN
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

Funny isnt it. My dad and I were very close and both car enthusiasts so I guess it would be nice to have it back and look after it in its old age! Shame he isnt here to see it.
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

Good luck Tim, my dad had loads of company cars over the years and I always hoped his Austin 3 litre would be found somewhere but I think it`s long gone. If anyone ever finds EFO 177H please let me know.
I used to see his old Mk3 Cortina estate around Chester quite a few years back but that`s probably gone now too :cry:
Vauxhall apologist.
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

Thanks Cavmad, would be nice to get it before its had it and put out into retirement, would be weird driving for the first time in 8 years! Wouldnt normally be swapping a BX for a Xantia but this ones special!

If anyone heres of a 19TGD J511LAY or 19RD E945AVW please get in touch.
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

Heres a quote from my prophet of doom handbook.

Dont get sentimental about old cars, they'll end up costing you a fortune.
They think it's all over, it is now!
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

Theres more to life than money though! another thought is that you can only drive one car at once, so why have 4 like me! Whatever floats your boat i expect.
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

tim leech wrote:Thanks Cavmad, would be nice to get it before its had it and put out into retirement, would be weird driving for the first time in 8 years! Wouldnt normally be swapping a BX for a Xantia but this ones special!

If anyone heres of a 19TGD J511LAY or 19RD E945AVW please get in touch.

J511 LAY: last tax expiry date was 01.11.`03-possible chance it`s still around somewhere.

E945 AVW: date of last taxed UNKNOWN. Probably scrapped as this date is usually available. Last V5 change on this one was 15.07.`92.
Vauxhall apologist.
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

E945AVW was apparently exported in 1992 according to experian, as for J511LAY i havent seen it for years. Last seen in leicester looking rather battered so probably scrapped now. Shame as we had that brand new as well! Wouldnt it be lovely to find a bx as new stored unregistered with no miles on as the odd P6/MGB etc shows up sometimes at auction!
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

The DVLA site doesn`t seem to tell you whether a car has been scrapped or not, I`ve entered a couple of numbers from cars which I have scrapped myself in the past and it comes up as last date of road tax as unknown so maybe that`s a clue?

As an aside Tim what are you doing on Thursday? It`s just possible I have the day off but my bosses are not in to allow/disallow me this so should hopefully know tomorrow.
Vauxhall apologist.
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

Im working all week but can leave the keys and log book in the car and my mum will be in to relieve you of the dollars!
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

Thanks Tim, like I say can`t promise but will do my best.

Sounds like E945 is obviously `unkown` on the DVLA register due it being exported.
I often wondered if there`s some remote part of the world where these cars are desperately sort after. Locally 9and nationally) people are clambering to buy Bluebirds, old Jap rear wheel drive cars and Peugot 405/505 cars with petrol engines. South Africa/Nigeria favourite destinations it seems.
Vauxhall apologist.
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

Update!

I have agreed a price on the Xantia of £400 which i think is abit steep for a petrol with one montsh MOT, to be honest i didnt really care how much it was, which means sadly my lovely 1993 19TXD will need a new owner, Now wearing 16v wheels and 2 brand new tyres, (new wheels bolts cost a fortune!!) and a lovely leather interior! Excellent bodywork besides a bit of paint on the spoiler, has mot until 0CT 2006 and tax until FEB Loads of history, 145000 miles runs fabulously, just needs a heater resistor to make pefect, Just had a oil change too. All books and both keys etc

Finished in silver moss metallic. (see picture)

I think at £400 to break even im being fair as the wheels and interior are worth more than half that! It must go to someone in the club tho who will look after her, i wouldnt be selling trust me if I had the space but I cant turn this opportunity downand the history of the 19TZD is too interesting to let it go!

PM if interested.