HP Pump

Buy or sell parts etc. Please put 'Wanted' in the title if it is a request for parts.
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

HP Pump

Post by Tim Leech »

On the look out for a new HP Pump for the TZI, GSF list one for diesels only, Pleides want over £200 for a recon one.

Any suggestions.

Thanks
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

If you want a new one, it's pay up or else I'm afraid :(

other than that find a s/h one
They think it's all over, it is now!
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

Ok Ken thanks.

Anyone got one used then??
Linegeist
BXpert

Post by Linegeist »

Can I suggest you're fairly careful who you buy a reconditoned one from? :?

I've just removed my second 'weird' pump (a replacement for the first (defective) one) and refitted the original (noisy) pump to rectify problems like snatchy steering and clattering noises with the two recon units.

Given the problems I've had the last 6 weeks, I'm seriously toying with the idea of doing a bench photo-strip and DIY-recon of a HP pump if I can get the seals - when the weather warms up next month (old geezer syndrome :roll: ).

Would there be any worthwhile interest ........?
Aerodynamica
BXpert

Post by Aerodynamica »

Would there be any worthwhile interest ........?
Yes!

You might need special tools to compress the springs in the pistons.

Incidently, I just reshimmed my CX pressure regulator to raise the cut in and cut out pressures - the hydraulics work a lot better now!
Graeme M

CX 2400 Pallas LPG
2CV6 dolly (SORNed)
Mk1 Xantia 1.9TD SX

'c'est hydropneumatique'
Linegeist
BXpert

Post by Linegeist »

Now there's a neat idea.... :twisted:

My instincts are, with an older machine, to de-stress as many systems as I can in the interests of longevity (which is also a good excuse to drive a like a slug in molasses) but I like the idea of pepping up the working pressure of the hydraulics slightly to compensate for wear.

I imagine the weakest link would be the steering rack .... right?
Aerodynamica
BXpert

Post by Aerodynamica »

I imagine the weakest link would be the steering rack .... right?
Not sure, I think on the BX the weakest link is the front struts! And of course, the HP pump as Tim requires.

Sorry Tim, I have a pump but it's worn and wouldn't improve your car - I was going to make a sphere tester out of it.
Graeme M

CX 2400 Pallas LPG
2CV6 dolly (SORNed)
Mk1 Xantia 1.9TD SX

'c'est hydropneumatique'
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

Bob theres money waiting for you here if you want to recon my pump!

So the pump you got from pleides was no good? prefer to buy new if possibly but again it depends on how much it is, havent even bothered to ask Citroen as I imagine its probably more than the cars value.
Linegeist
BXpert

Post by Linegeist »

Hi Tim, 'fraid not .. either of 'em. :cry:

I'm having the germ of an idea here .......

I want to know how these pumps are 'fixed'. I have the time (semi-retired & self employed) to find out, the facilities (I'm an engineer with a workshop & fabrication kit) and the motive (I want my own pump fixed and it'd be nice to teach club members how it's done).

What I need first is information. Where can I get exploded diagrams of the HP pump and where can I obtain overhaul parts/kits? (preferably not from Pleiades).

I can probably make up any pullers/extractors necessary as I go and, if we can get this done as a group project (with you guys supplying the newbie with information) I'll be more than happy to post the required kit out on a 'round robin' basis, and with instructions on the internet, so folks can then do their own. If it's as straightforward as most of these jobs are, then I;d be happy to do a couple of rebuilds for members - but I've learned the hard way to draw a line at 'several'. :shock:

I did a photo strip recently for a Motorcycle club I belong to... this is the kind of thing I'm thinking about for the HP pump http://www.totalaptitude.com/skorp/
Brian
BXpert

Post by Brian »

Hi Bob,

Great idea, I have thought and asked about this in the past, but it seems that no one (Unless someone knows different) has dismantled a BX pump without damaging.

I have on file an article by the late Bob Smith in Adobe format, but I can't load that to Photobucket, I do have one picture from that article as below.

He had to cut off the casing and pulley, as it seems they are heat shrunk on.

I have made a sphere pressure tester using an old pump, and this does allow the testing of each piston in turn, and thus a comparison can be made.
This is a good way to find if one or more pistons are faulty.

And if any are below par, then running flushing fluid through the pump over a period of time may improve their performance.

Cheers
Brian
rhv100
Confirmed BX'er

HP pump

Post by rhv100 »

Tim, New pumps were over 1200 quid last time I looked........

Bob, Sorry to hear you had problems with Pleiades.I had a recon pump
from them a couple of years ago.Its performed faultlessly ever since I
fitted it. Ordered it from Malcolm LOckwood at 4.00 on Fri. it arrived at
8.30 Sat.from Pleiades.You dont get service like that from Cit!!! Cost £140 as I recall.
I would be very interested to see a pictorial refurb though,as I still have
the knackered one somewhere.

Richard
Linegeist
BXpert

Post by Linegeist »

Brian wrote:I have on file an article by the late Bob Smith in Adobe format, but I can't load that to Photobucket, I do have one picture from that article as below.

Cheers
Brian
Hi Brian,

Thanks for that pic - that is amazingly useful. I finally have some clues.

I'll PM you my email address - if you would be so kind as to send me a copy of that PDF file, I'll use it to get up to some kind of speed on how these Staffa-motors-in-reverse come apart.

Great stuff! I'm kind've starting to have a good (read naive) feeling about this ..... :roll: :wink:

Anyone care to donate a totally stuffed pump to this? I'll fund the postage. Preferably something that's beyond repair and doesnlt matter if it gets destroyed in the process?? (If it actually gets fixed in the process, we can all huddle around it, lay hands on the thing, and shout "Hallelujah" 'n stuff!) :shock: :twisted:
Brian
BXpert

Post by Brian »

Bob Wrote:
I'll PM you my email address - if you would be so kind as to send me a copy of that PDF file, I'll use it to get up to some kind of speed on how these Staffa-motors-in-reverse come apart.
OK by all means, them I will try and enclose / attach the said file..

Cheers
Brian
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

Hi Richard

Does Malcolm lockwood still stock them do you know?

Thanks.

£1200! HAHAHAHAH!
scarecrow

Post by scarecrow »

Bob, I'm probably just stating the obvious here, but couldn't it be that the problem wasn't the pump after all, as you'd tried two recons?

Steve