c/o macplaxton 1992 BX 19 TXD AUTO update

Anything about BXs
macplaxton
BXpert

c/o macplaxton 1992 BX 19 TXD AUTO update

Post by macplaxton »

Following the mystery of the jumped cambelt mentioned in this thread. I have a couple of updates to report.

First bit of news was that the car successfully completed a 250 miles round trip after I left.

I then received some sightings of the vehicle down in England and have heard from the owner today that, that he is back from said trip.

Mpg has been reported at 70mpg / 48mpg. I'm told that the reason for the low mpg on the return leg was (against my advice NOT to kick the dick out of it :roll:) "...some intermittent screeching, which I am sure is a speedo cable, but running really well – as verified sadly by the constabulary, who took a dim view in their black un-marked BMW five series estate, of my cruising up the M74 in the mid 90’s"

In short, the BX is running better than ever and I guess it has another 1000 miles on it. (so c. 1400+ since repair and even with the missing bolt which is a niggle on the back of my mind)

(Must get back to doing the heater cable on the GS. ;))
Way2go
Over 2k

Re: c/o macplaxton 1992 BX 19 TXD AUTO update

Post by Way2go »

macplaxton wrote:...some intermittent screeching, which I am sure is a speedo cable
Screeching is normally the domain of the HP Pump belt, are you sure this is tight enough?

Bad luck about the ticket but on the bright side being close to, but not over, 100 meant you weren't up for an immediate ban!
1991 BX19GTi Auto
macplaxton
BXpert

Post by macplaxton »

That's what I thought it was and relayed the message earlier.

I know that the new belt on it was tight, but may have been affected by the cam covering coming loose on the first run (my fault, I'd left the job for 7 weeks and come back to it thinking they were tight) and oil misting out of it, some of it in the direction the HP belt.

Thanks for the reminder. Muchos appreciated.
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

macplaxton wrote: I know that the new belt on it was tight, but may have been affected by the cam covering coming loose on the first run
Could be, but new belts tend to "ride up with wear" and need to be retightened after settling in.
1991 BX19GTi Auto
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

Tell your friend he should really start and look after this car, they are getting very rare now as can be seen by the prices they are bringing.
They think it's all over, it is now!
macplaxton
BXpert

Post by macplaxton »

Don't worry, I've told him and will keep telling him!
macplaxton
BXpert

Post by macplaxton »

Thought I'd dig this thread up as I haven't been around for a bit. :D

A quick summary:
March 2010 MOT: 5 advisories and a pass.
April 2010: Spheres re-gassed and two new front tyres.
March/Apri 2011 MOT: not sure on the details but got another ticket relatively painlessly.
March 2012 MOT: pass and no advisories.

Various minor things inbetween, nothing that leaps to my mind.

So, I had an update on 4th September 2012: "Cambelt gone. The camshaft is broken as is one of the cam followers."

Spreadsheet note from owner was that I got this going again 24/02/2010 @ 139658 miles. Mileage as of 02/09/2012 (I assume last fill-up) was 168033, so 28375 miles with a missing tensioner bolt (the one that screws into the monkey-metal bit of the head). I'd left it out with advisory to do it later, as the thread was already stripped before I waded in, and access was poor in-situ to do a helicoil job on it.

I can only guess that the pivot nut had loosened sufficient for the belt to just be under the spring tension and prone to bounce. Following that, the belt jumped and took a few bits down with it. I doubt he'll give up on it, but just in case he does, I've pitched my interest. I quite like the idea of slow, asthmatic, waft-o-matics. Even though I don't need one, I thought I'd get in early so to speak.

I think it would be quite easy either to do the head properly this time (and possibly put the slight coolant consumption issue it's had for a long, long time to bed) or just swap in a cam and follower, to get it a bit further down line.
citronut
Over 2k

Post by citronut »

macplaxton wrote: as verified sadly by the constabulary, who took a dim view in their black un-marked BMW five series estate, of my cruising up the M74 in the mid 90’s" [/size]
so you've bin back to the future in a BX then Max, 1995 is that :twisted: :roll: :shock: :wink:

regards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
H reg CX saffari 2.5 TRI (now gone to Malaysia)
R reg xantia 1.9TD est (gone to meet its maker)
electrokid
1K Away

Post by electrokid »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
1992 BX19 TGD estate 228K Rusty - SORNed
2002 C5 HDi SX estate
macplaxton
BXpert

Post by macplaxton »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

95mph I think was the ticket my friend had. It was a long, drawn out process due to an old paper licence being misplaced somewhere in his house. A new duplicate was applied for, which was caught up it the labyrinth that is the DVLA medical unit...Upshot was a fix penalty could not be availed of and despite informing the court of the above issues in mitigation, they ignored them and doubled the fine to £120.

The moral being, don't keep you licence in so safe a place that you can't find it. #-o

I do wonder about nipping over to fix this. Sort of turn up in the morning with a belt, cam and follower and just have it done by lunchtime. Drink loads of tea and catch the last flight/boat back. The head swap could wait for another day.