Another WOF Passed

Anything about BXs
kiwi
Over 2k

Another WOF Passed

Post by kiwi »

The TZS was in for its twice yearly WOF(MOT) yesterday and passed with No Advisorys.

Pretty chuffed given looking from its passed Wofs an annual (every other wof) tradition of picking on a little drip or damp patch caused by the hydraulic system thats proved to be nothing.

Tyre wear is something I have been keenly watching since putting 4 new tyres on last May and July.

Rear Tyre Wear shows minimal wear (as expected) in 10,000kms @ 7mm

Front Tyre Wear in 11,000kms @5mm

The big test was the theory that Nitrogen reduces tyre wear? Well not that I can see in fact given that Firestone NZ over inflate tyres I think the reverse is true. The only benefit I noticed with removing oxygen from tyres is that the pressure loss over the distance and time was probably due to monthly pressure testing.

Anyways a good feeling when your car passes the tests 8)
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Well done. \:D/
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

Great news, all these BXs passing there MOTs is great news, who needs a new car!
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
MULLEY
Over 2k
My Cars: 1999 Xsara LX 2.0HDI (90) Hatch - Fern
2002 C5 2.0 HDI (110) Estate - Jasmine - SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - SORN
1992 TZD Turbo Estate - SORN
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired - SORN
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

Post by MULLEY »

Mine is due in a couple of weeks, so there's always a chance i could end this running streak :lol:
2002 C5 2.0 HDI Estate - Jasmine - Now SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - My daily
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired.
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

I'm not just a username, i'm also called Matthew.
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

Me too mate, TZI is due and the GT needs a pre continental jaunt shake down!
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
macplaxton
BXpert

Post by macplaxton »

Good news!

\:D/ ^^bx> \:D/

Having just looked up the WOF, it's a bit of a money making racket doing them 6 monthly, when the some places in the EU manage to get by with doing them every 2 years. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for keeping vehicles in safe condition, but I don't think there's much benefit to testing them twice a year compared to once. Two year is too long though.
kiwi
Over 2k

Post by kiwi »

macplaxton wrote:Don't get me wrong, I'm all for keeping vehicles in safe condition, but I don't think there's much benefit to testing them twice a year compared to once. Two year is too long though.
The logic behind it is outdated thats for sure. It dates back to the days when the majority of roads were gravel which was not that long ago (10-15 years) and a fair few side roads are still gravel in the rural areas.
The thought is you get your service done at the same time as the twice yearly WOF :wink: and the other old habit is an oil chnage every 5000kms (3000miles).

In comparison to the UK tests I would say we are more slack though, I mean where else can a CV boot pass with a whooping split in it?

Well next month (May) the TRS is heading in for its WOF but I doubt she will fair so well. Not that she will be scrapped just put in mothballs in the corner of the garage.
macplaxton
BXpert

Post by macplaxton »

Well here in Ireland, they only got round to testing cars 10 years ago because of an EU directive that all member states had to.

Roads by all accounts were in a much worse state than they are now, and even insurers didn't bother asking for an "engineer's report" before a car was 10 years old. A few good cars and a lot of death-traps were removed from the road in a scrappage scheme they had in the '90s.

Go to a classic car show and a lot of the vehicles are imports from the UK. There isn't that much original Irish stuff left because it was generally run into the ground (some of the "original Irish" stuff are actually "swimmers" - a UK import bearing the identity of an Irish car ;) ). Plus there's not much interest in them compare to tractors!

Anyway, I'm struggling to remember when I last saw a BX here? :?
kiwi
Over 2k

Post by kiwi »

A sad day

The BX TRS Failed :cry:

Well to be honest it was not really expected to be used for anything as parts when I got it and two years down the line it still goes quitew well.

Last WOF the CV Boot was split yet it will pass like that and since then still not rplaced it but it passes until it splugs onto the Barking system. Also passed on a creeking noise from the nearside rear I suspect is the rear arm bearings dry.

So what did it fail on then? Nothing major so once can sort them out will be still roadworthey.

Item one the infamous windscreen Washer

Second Suspension oil leaks Right Front and centre of engine (basically I did not give it a clean before taking in :oops: Although the leak from the strut return hose that has had a quick repair maybe needing replacement with the spare I have that I did not want the hassle of fitting before.

Last but not least which given the chewy road surfaces here and I knew they were on the way out the rear tyres. One failed which I was surprised at the other is close! Guess with the high miles my wifes been clocking up they simply got closer to the end than I thought they would.

So I got a good matching spare to use to get it to pass but given the knowledge of the conditions of winter here then the car will be snug in the garage on those wet or icey days at least until the other BX tyres reach the 4mm I intend to change them at.

Looks like it may survive a bit longerthe goal of 300k is just 9000 to go.
kiwi
Over 2k

Post by kiwi »

Well the 19TRS went in for another WOF with its split cv boot again and this time I promised to replace the boot IF it passed with minimal fuss.

Well it passed with just an advisory for...yup the CV Boot :lol:

No surprise it passed though given it had only done 700km since the last wof :o

Still got that 8000km still to go to the magic 300,000km 8)