Anything about BXs
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

Hope not, a sad event nonetheless. :(
1991 BX19GTi Auto
scarecrow

Post by scarecrow »

Bloody awful - I can only imagine the circumstances which would cause two people to become trapped in a vehicle which has caught fire but apparently not been involved in an accident.

I'm going to get myself one of those window breakers for in the car...
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

I cannot understand how they couldn't get out of the car.
It doesn't say the car exploded, so I'd have thought even if the doors were locked and there had been total electrical failure they'd still have had plenty of time to get out. The pull locks are manual and seperate to the solonoids so they'd still have been able to open the doors.
All seems really really odd.
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
kiwi
Over 2k

Post by kiwi »

News travels fast in the modern age.

http://www.silobreaker.com/citron-bx-11_86415130

That picture they used looks familier?

electrokid
1K Away

Post by electrokid »

Very sad - and very strange - maybe they were overcome by smoke before they could think to get it on the hard shoulder and get out. 2 cars on fire - also strange.
1992 BX19 TGD estate 228K Rusty - SORNed
2002 C5 HDi SX estate
kiwi
Over 2k

Post by kiwi »

electrokid wrote:Very sad - and very strange - maybe they were overcome by smoke before they could think to get it on the hard shoulder and get out. 2 cars on fire - also strange.
Be careful thats how chinese whispers start.

The story released is not all the story thats for sure, from experiance with the Emergency Services the media is often guilty of misqouting the information given to them which in itself is not the full information.

To give an example http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/artic ... d=10662122
Police are warning motorists to take care on icy roads after a man suffered serious injuries when his car slammed into a bridge in Tongariro National Park this morning.

The man in his mid-30s was cut from the car after he crashed into the barrier of the Whakapapanui bridge on State Highway 48, several kilometres from Whakapapa village at the base of Mt Ruapehu, about 7.45am.

"He's lost control on the icy road and slipped across and hit the barrier on the bridge," Constable Conrad Smith said.

"It just highlights the need to drive slowly and carefully in shaded areas when the sun is not on the road and it's all icy."

The Youthtown Trust rescue helicopter was called about 8am and the man was flown to Wanganui Hospital, where he is in a serious condition.
He was never cut from the vehicle or in a serious condition! Two reason I know firstly the Fire Appliance with cutting gear was turned around before reaching the scene, second he was discharged from hospital the same day. I know because I was involved but just shows how the media can get things wrong from a Police release.

Piece together the two stories

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-somerset-11410086
He said two cars had been on fire in lane two of the carriageway and firefighters were in attendance.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-somerset-11411260
An Avon and Somerset Police spokesman said it was believed the white Citroen BX may have been travelling slowly or was stationary prior to the incident.
A police spokesman said: "The vehicle ended up on the hard shoulder. The Citroen driver and passenger died from their injuries.
That indicates to me that the Citroen was hit from behind in the middle lane of the motorway at the end of a line of stationary/slow moving traffic and shoved by the force onto the hard shoulder. The impact resulting in a fuel tank rupture!

What I would like to know is what hit them? Was it a 4WD tank?
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

I think the report infers two vehicles were involved, in which case maybe they couldn't get out, or were killed by the impact before the car caught fire?
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...