Mk1 White

Tell us about BXs you have spotted on the road, or BXs/parts spotted for sale including eBay finds.
richardd1652
1K Away

Mk1 White

Post by richardd1652 »

1985 MK1 BX Digit
1986 MK1 BX Leader
1988 19RD
1983 Tin Snail

RogerPorter
Confirmed BX'er

Post by RogerPorter »

That looks very good (bearing in mind my proviso about flattering photographs in another thread) and a better economic bet than a car which has sat on damp ground for ages. And you could drive it home! :lol:
1999 XM 2.1TD VSX Auto
1998 Xantia TD
1992 ZX 1.6 Aura Auto
1990 XM 2.0Si
1985 2CV6 Special
1983 Visa Super E
1981 Dyane 6

DLM
Our Trim Guru
My Cars: Historically, lots of BX hatches/estates in the 90s/00s
Now - Scruffy diesel estate - the Red Shed

Post by DLM »

"Pour le C.T,à changer alternateur et silencieux"

To me, that means it's not a legal drive-away car: my rough translation is "for CT, needs alternator and silencer".
Occasionally constrained by geography. When not driving, can rely on ferry, two wheels and musclepower when a couple of miles as the crow flies would become a round-road-trip ten times the distance.

RogerPorter
Confirmed BX'er

Post by RogerPorter »

To me, that means it's not a legal drive-away car: my rough translation is "for CT, needs alternator and silencer".
I should have paid more attention in French class :)
1999 XM 2.1TD VSX Auto
1998 Xantia TD
1992 ZX 1.6 Aura Auto
1990 XM 2.0Si
1985 2CV6 Special
1983 Visa Super E
1981 Dyane 6

Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

DLM wrote:"Pour le C.T,à changer alternateur et silencieux"

Surely it would't be legal here anyway even if it had a a CT as a British Resident? Once you drive off the boat here you will be driving an unregistered, untaxed car without an MOT even if you are the legal owner. Suspect there are complications on insurance too until formalities are resolved.

These legalities can be managed easily for a new car bought abroad but this must become more complicated for older second-hand cars unless you trailer them back, would it not? :?
1991 BX19GTi Auto

saintjamesy89
1K Away
My Cars: 1985 Citroen BX19 GT
1988 Volvo 740 2.0 GL Hearse
2007 Lexus RX 400h SE

Post by saintjamesy89 »

Complications aside, look at those wheel trims!! Wow. And it's a 1.4, would that be the one with the sump-mounted gearbox?

I really like this car, Mk1, white, sexy wheel trims and a 14! A trip to France may be in order. Hang on a minute, I can't put it anywhere, and can't afford a third project. Reality sucks.
I'm not a Saint, or a James, but a Tom Saint-James!

Mes voitures:
1985 Citroen BX19 GT
1988 Volvo 740 2.0 GL Hearse
2006 Lexus RX 400h SE hybrid

citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

Surely it would't be legal here anyway even if it had a a CT as a British Resident? Once you drive off the boat here you will be driving an unregistered, untaxed car without an MOT even if you are the legal owner. Suspect there are complications on insurance too until formalities are resolved.

These legalities can be managed easily for a new car bought abroad but this must become more complicated for older second-hand cars unless you trailer them back, would it not?
I believe that when buying a car abroad to drive back, you will need to arrange UK insurance against the chassis No., which may need a bit of phoning round as some compainies will not do this. So long as the car is otherwise road legal in it's country of origin, (which in Holland & Germany, for example, means buying export plates for it) you can then drive it home. Once you land here, you need to make sure you inform customs you are importing the car (which normally means filling out paperwork, but rarely needing to pay anything), then you are only allowed to drive home from the port before keeping it off the public highway until UK registered, or to and from an MOT station for testing.

The regulations have just changed, but you will need a UK MOT (again on the chassis No.) and either the registration documents from the country it came from or, for vehicles built after 1973, a dating letter from the manufacturer. Earlier cars can be dated by a car club so long as they are on DVLA's approved list. Then there's more forms, proof of your identity (photo ID like passport or drivers licence), and a registration fee, as well as the money for car tax. If you are unlucky, they may wish to inspect it, which will mean having to transport it to where the inspection will take place - you cannot drive there otherwise you'll be done for driving an unlicenced vehicle.
Mike Sims
BX 19RD Estate Mk1 - Timex!
BX 4X4 Estate - Oh god, I've done it again!
BX 17RD MK1 - it called to me!
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
XM Turbo SD,GS Club Estate,Visa 17D Leader,HY Pickup,Dyane Nomad,Dyane 6,2CV AZL,Falcon S,Trabant P50,3x Land Rovers (88" series 1,109" series 2a FFR,series 2a Marshall ambulance),DKW F7, Lambretta LD150 x 1.5,Mobylette SP93,Ural Cossack,Ural M63,CZ 250 Sport,Honda Varadero 125,lots of bicycles & tricycles including (but not only) Sunbeams,Higgins & Bates!

richardd1652
1K Away

Post by richardd1652 »

So if I went accross with a trailer ,then i would drive back through "red" channel at customs would I?
Dont think I would risk driving something back from abroad,far simpler to tow a trailer with something I trust.
Richard.
1985 MK1 BX Digit
1986 MK1 BX Leader
1988 19RD
1983 Tin Snail

DLM
Our Trim Guru
My Cars: Historically, lots of BX hatches/estates in the 90s/00s
Now - Scruffy diesel estate - the Red Shed

Post by DLM »

Someone I know bought a Spanish-registered car in the UK a dew months ago and had all sorts of problems with the reg and replating process (though to be fair he hadn't researched it thoroughly beforehand). Q plates may attract an insurance hike as well if it's UK re-plated, should that be the intention.
Occasionally constrained by geography. When not driving, can rely on ferry, two wheels and musclepower when a couple of miles as the crow flies would become a round-road-trip ten times the distance.

Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: LOTS!

Post by Tim Leech »

Nice car, Ive owned a couple of early 1.4 motors, they have charm but really feel like they are from a different age and make the BX feel very old. the TU cars are MUCH nicer to drive.
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....

grecian
Confirmed BX'er

Post by grecian »

looks like I must have bypassed the system with my M5.

bought on e-bay; trailered from Alicante via Plymouth by someone else; I eventually got it Mot'd; insured it; drove it to Exeter DVLA centre; Bob's your uncle - registered in UK

no paperwork trail; it was so simple
previous- GS, Visa, 19DTR, 4x4, now ZX 1.9D and 1985 BMW M5

citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

Someone I know bought a Spanish-registered car in the UK a dew months ago and had all sorts of problems with the reg and replating process (though to be fair he hadn't researched it thoroughly beforehand). Q plates may attract an insurance hike as well if it's UK re-plated, should that be the intention.
Buying a foreign registered car over here can sometimes be an issue, as you're not the importer. You then need to either satisfy Customs & Excise that whoever brought the car in did the necessary paperwork (a long process with little chance of success if the original paperwork didn't come with the car).

Also, I believe some countries don't put the age of the car on the rgistration document, necessitating a dating letter. I've also come across DVLA demanding an EU type approval certificate from the manufacturer if the typ of vehicle imported was never sold in the UK.
Mike Sims
BX 19RD Estate Mk1 - Timex!
BX 4X4 Estate - Oh god, I've done it again!
BX 17RD MK1 - it called to me!
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
XM Turbo SD,GS Club Estate,Visa 17D Leader,HY Pickup,Dyane Nomad,Dyane 6,2CV AZL,Falcon S,Trabant P50,3x Land Rovers (88" series 1,109" series 2a FFR,series 2a Marshall ambulance),DKW F7, Lambretta LD150 x 1.5,Mobylette SP93,Ural Cossack,Ural M63,CZ 250 Sport,Honda Varadero 125,lots of bicycles & tricycles including (but not only) Sunbeams,Higgins & Bates!