BX 1992 16TXi

Buy or sell parts etc. Please put 'Wanted' in the title if it is a request for parts.
peterhore

BX 1992 16TXi

Post by peterhore »

I think this is a common problem with age but can anyone help me find a heater know (all three are the same but my air distribution know has broken where it fits on the spindle-I suppose they get brittle with age and this one has been glued and wired by prvious owner!
Other than tis the car is running superbly and I have decided to keep her. She starts on the button even in this freezing weather!
Just one minor niggle-the autobox is relutant to change into top gear until very warm and doing about 45mph-any thoughts on this please-the gear oil is nice and clean.
Pete
RxBX
Over 2k

Re: BX 1992 16TXi

Post by RxBX »

peterhore wrote:I think this is a common problem with age but can anyone help me find a heater know (all three are the same but my air distribution know has broken where it fits on the spindle-I suppose they get brittle with age and this one has been glued and wired by previous owner!
Other than tis the car is running superbly and I have decided to keep her. She starts on the button even in this freezing weather!
Just one minor niggle-the autobox is relutant to change into top gear until very warm and doing about 45mph-any thoughts on this please-the gear oil is nice and clean.
Pete
Hi Peter,

I've read you post and tried to decipher it, I think it's a heater knob that your after if I'm correct :?
It might help to state what colour your after (Grey or Black) and how many your actually after, then hopefully you may get a response to your request :wink:

Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Auto-box... when was the fluid (Dextron II ONLY remember) last changed? Also, check the level (when the box is hot)...

If the fluid is dirty, change it for nice fresh DII fluid (although you won't be able to replace it all - maybe consider a couple of changes within 1,000 miles or so as I did on mine; worked well)... As for filter cleaning others on here might be able to advise, but a fluid change would be trying first.
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

sounds more like the kickdown cable wants just a touch of adjustment.
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

oh, that too lol! (although it didn't help my issue with sluggish changes at the top end of the gears in my previous GTi auto, although a fluid change did, I have to say). :lol:
docchevron

Post by docchevron »

there's a difference between sluggish changes and hanging on to lower gears too long though.

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

I is told :wink:

:)
docchevron

Post by docchevron »

not necessarily, since having re-read the OP he doesn't state whether it's just reluctant to upshift, or sluffish in so doing..

The fact it's better when warm may indicate a hydraulic problem, at which point I'd say change the filter, I doubt it's ever been done!

Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

The box will NEVER change up into 4th though until doing at least 42mph. It will also drop back into 3rd if you slow to 38mph irrespective of whether the box is hot or cold. Good "fun" in 40mph zones. :(

It is an irritating quirk of the BX that you learn to live with and presumably designed in as the torque converter is totally by-passed in 4th gear. As far as I am aware, this speed-point range is non adjustable and the only variation is under harsher acceleration where it will hold the change beyond the 42mph.
1991 BX19GTi Auto
grecian
Confirmed BX'er

Post by grecian »

I think the BX has the same ZF autobox as one of my BMWs. The 4th gear lock up was at (I recall 52mph), and as the car had an econometer I'd be sitting there urging those in front to go just that bit faster so that lock up would happen and fuel economy would improve dramatically. I'm sure it would be in 4th by 30 on alight throttle
previous- GS, Visa, 19DTR, 4x4, now ZX 1.9D and 1985 BMW M5
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Agree with Way2go there, that upshift point is pretty irksome - although you'd be pretty unlucky to be 'done' doing 42.5 mph in a 40.... wouldn't you?

That assumes you don't mind 'speeding' like that. Not recommended of course.
docchevron

Post by docchevron »

It's possible to set the upshift points to any speed you like really, if you want to get involved with stripping the valve chest and playing with springs!

3rd gear has 75% lock up so still better than bottom and second round town motoring, but agreed, It's good if you can keep it in top.

peterhore

Heater knob and auto gearbox

Post by peterhore »

Firstly my sincere apologies for bad spelling of knob! Also for not getting up to speed how all this blogging works but am getting there
The knob is black which matches the dash area-I could really do with having two because another one is bound to break.Also thanks guys for the advice on the gearbox -think I will try new oil first but I can live with it-just makes the fuel consumption go up. Have read blogs on iced up suspension-I reckon we are very lucky in Colchester area not to have experienced the exteme low temps. Have just started her up after two weeks-started on the button and suspension worked well at all levels-phew!
Pete
docchevron

Re: Heater knob and auto gearbox

Post by docchevron »

peterhore wrote:Firstly my sincere apologies for bad spelling of knob!
don't worry about it mate, some of us use it more than others ! :wink: