1.9 BX TGD AUTO Diesel /Scrapped.

Buy or sell parts etc. Please put 'Wanted' in the title if it is a request for parts.
Gazza 1991

1.9 BX TGD AUTO Diesel /Scrapped.

Post by Gazza 1991 »

SCRAPPED -Happy BXing too all.
Last edited by Gazza 1991 on Sat Feb 19, 2011 6:51 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

Post by Defender110 »

Sorry to here your tail Gazza but realisticly I doubt very much you will get £300 for your car with the head gasket gone, The cars are only fetching that sort of money as good runners.
Good luck anyway.
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.
Gazza 1991

Post by Gazza 1991 »

Defender110 wrote:Sorry to here your tail Gazza but realisticly I doubt very much you will get £300 for your car with the head gasket gone, The cars are only fetching that sort of money as good runners.
Good luck anyway.
Many thanks Kevan .
I know you are being realistic ,But its worth a try, i will be sorry to see the old girl go, and i wish she was in mutch beter health.
Kindest ,Gary.
Last edited by Gazza 1991 on Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

Not wishing to hijack this thread, but why do these diesel auto's suffer so much with HG failure? I've lost count of the number I've come across, same with 2.1XM's :?

I've a BX 19tgd auto here parked on the drive with HG failure that I bought a couple of weeks ago, it drove home from London with no problems and has pressure in the cooling system. I paid £100 for it with 10 months MOT, 2 new tyres, new rad, new battery and new spheres. I couldn't bear the thought of all those new parts going to waste. The bodywork has seen better days although there is no rust visible, just a few dings here and there.

Sadly I think you'll be very lucky to find a home for this one, but you never know.
Good luck. :)
Gazza 1991

Post by Gazza 1991 »

ken newbold wrote:Not wishing to hijack this thread, but why do these diesel auto's suffer so much with HG failure? I've lost count of the number I've come across, same with 2.1XM's :?

I've a BX 19tgd auto here parked on the drive with HG failure that I bought a couple of weeks ago, it drove home from London with no problems and has pressure in the cooling system. I paid £100 for it with 10 months MOT, 2 new tyres, new rad, new battery and new spheres. I couldn't bear the thought of all those new parts going to waste. The bodywork has seen better days although there is no rust visible, just a few dings here and there.

Sadly I think you'll be very lucky to find a home for this one, but you never know.
Good luck. :)
Hi Ken.
A lot of time reading about the XUD9 over the last 12 months has lead me to belive that you either get a good one or a bad one.These motors are very paticular about coolant level and bleeding of the sytem.Having replaced the HG once to a higher standard than any garage could do it for me and a lot cheaper i think the only way to go with one of these motors if the rest of the car is worth it and the bottom end is in good order is to put a shiney new head on and hope for the best.
I am getting on these day's and decided that i was beaten which is not like me at all,But the wife is not in the best of health neither am i ,so i have made the decision to get a modern petrol and and have done with them HG problems of the XUD ,i hope.
I will be sorry to se the old BX go having got to know them inside out, but in to the modern world i must go ,a bit sooner than expected.
All the best Ken with BX, Kindest ,Gary.
richardd1652
1K Away

Post by richardd1652 »

Pm,d.
Richard.
1985 MK1 BX Digit
1986 MK1 BX Leader
1988 19RD
1983 Tin Snail
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

ken newbold wrote:Not wishing to hijack this thread, but why do these diesel auto's suffer so much with HG failure? I've lost count of the number I've come across, same with 2.1XM's :?
Dads original 19Na in his auto was a sterling motor, and still lives on with original HG to this day, just not in his car.

MY old 21TD XM auto had HG failure though, and I do wonder if it has more to do witht he autobox, since the heat exchanger on it runs the engines coolant, therefore maybe putting a bit too much strain on an already fairly marginal cooling system?
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Post by DavidRutherford »

docchevron wrote:I do wonder if it has more to do with the autobox, since the heat exchanger on it runs the engines coolant, therefore maybe putting a bit too much strain on an already fairly marginal cooling system?
Coupled with the fact that an engine with an auto box works harder (uses more fuel, hence more waste heat to disperse) and you're looking at an engine that not only gets hotter than it's manual equivalent, but also has a wider heat range in service (difference between light-load temperature and full-load temperature) meaning more differential expansion, and more stress on the HG.

It's a theory......
this might be a signature
electrokid
1K Away

Post by electrokid »

It's a theory......
It's a good one :-)

I've been looking at rad fan switches recently to convert the TGD to dual fan - there are a variety of temp switching points available so I've chosen the lowest temp ranges that seem to be available - I've just bought a couple of these...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/RADIATOR-FAN-SWIT ... 0627756561

There's a whole bunch of different part Nos. listed on eBay for the BX but the temp ranges are different so worth checking when you buy. Probably worth fitting the lowest temp range version to the auto - HG failures in autos might be down to the wrong temp switch fitted or the perennial problems with the fan electrics. Or, of course, using tapwater instead of de-ionised water in the rad.

(Edited to shrink the link - MF).
Thanks Mat.
Last edited by electrokid on Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1992 BX19 TGD estate 228K Rusty - SORNed
2002 C5 HDi SX estate
sdelasal
BXpert

Post by sdelasal »

if the auto trans has a lock up mode in top gear then the engine should be working no harder than in a manual as the torque conveter will be locked. An interesting puzzle!
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

/\ true, but by the time you're in top gear then you're usually just cruising, most hard acceleration is done through the gears, and even at higher speeds if you really toe it the box will still change down, unless you're doing illegal speeds.
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

Post by Defender110 »

richardd1652 wrote:Pm,d.
Richard.
:lol: Richard, perhaps a spell in the Priory over Christmas could help cure this addiction???
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.
richardd1652
1K Away

Post by richardd1652 »

The doc says to just keep taking the tablets but unfortunately there is no cure.Eventually my blood will turn green but on the bright side i will have manual adjustment for a semi and high position!
Richard :lol:
1985 MK1 BX Digit
1986 MK1 BX Leader
1988 19RD
1983 Tin Snail