Wtd: Rear Abs Sensor.

Buy or sell parts etc. Please put 'Wanted' in the title if it is a request for parts.
BX4X4X2
Confirmed BX'er

Wtd: Rear Abs Sensor.

Post by BX4X4X2 »

Hi, MOT time on the 16v and it needs a n/s rear ABS sensor and the n/s arm bearings sorting. So has anyone got a rear ABS sensor or rear n/s arm with one on they wish to part with?

Cheers
Kevin B
BXpert

Post by Kevin B »

You will struggle to find a good s/h rear sensor, as the fit between the sensor and the hole they locate in, in the swinging arm is such a small clearance. So that when corrosion occurs it makes the sensor impossible to remove without damage.
Your best bet is to locate a swing arm assy with a known good sensor.
BX4X4X2
Confirmed BX'er

Post by BX4X4X2 »

You will struggle to find a good s/h rear sensor, as the fit between the sensor and the hole they locate in, in the swinging arm is such a small clearance. So that when corrosion occurs it makes the sensor impossible to remove without damage.
I thought as much, back in the day we sed to cut through the sensor fixing point to save the sensors.
Kevin B
BXpert

Post by Kevin B »

BX4X4X2 wrote: I thought as much, back in the day we used to cut through the sensor fixing point to save the sensors.
I have done exactly the same myself when removing these items from scrapyard cars, in the past.

The only other suggestion I can give, just to get you through an MOT is to connect an 8K Ohm resistor across the terminals of the defective sensor under the rear seats, leaving the defective sensor in situ.

Other longer term possibilities are to modify an ABS sensor from a later Peugeot or Citroen application, however you would have to reuse the plug from your defective sensor, as the ATE ABS system fitted to a BX is unique as nothing else seems to use that particular style of plug and socket arrangement.
Jaba
1K Away
My Cars: BX GTi, C3 Auto

Post by Jaba »

Yes Kevin good suggestion. You can just use a small terminal block instead of the standard unique coax plug.
The Joy of BX with just one Citroën BX to my name now. Will I sing Bye Bye to my GTI or will it be Till death us do part.
Kevin B
BXpert

Post by Kevin B »

Jaba wrote:Yes Kevin good suggestion. You can just use a small terminal block instead of the standard unique coax plug.
That would also work, but I would be minded to keep the original socket on the end of the main ABS loom, so it can easily be returned to original condition when a good sensor is eventually found.