Life extension for the oldest Van

Anything about BXs
rmattila
BXpert

Life extension for the oldest Van

Post by rmattila »

I had almost decided to let my oldest Van retire after 800 000 well served kilometres. Last Monday, when I was driving home from work, the water pump failed with predictable consequences: timing belt fell off, piston hit valves, camshaft presumably in pieces etc.

So what's there to do - just as a matter of principle, I've spent the entire Saturday removing a new 1.9 D engine (originally from Xantia, driven 170 000 km) from a rotten BX that's on its way to the scrappers. Tomorrow I hope to get the broken engine off the Van and the new one in its place. If everything goes as planned, I'll get the Van back on the road by Monday, and THEN I'll decide whether to take it to MOT (due in 3 weeks) or not.

It's me - not the car - who decides when it's time to retire! :P
Speechless quad lying flat on his bed, communicating by moving eyes.
BX Van 1.9D -90 Gone.
BX Van 16S -90 For sale.
BX Van 1.9D -90 (Earned!) Gone.
BX Break 1.9D -90 (officially a "5 seat van" since 2005) Waiting to be towed to a new home.
Mothman

Post by Mothman »

Good luck bud,

i hope the rest of the motor is good and she is up for the MOT.

Andy
rmattila
BXpert

Post by rmattila »

Thanks,

I'll put the new engine in place tomorrow and check the failed one later on when I have time. However, taking into account it has already travelled 720 000 km, I suspect it might be rather worn. It might be interesting to do a total disassembly and measure the wear in the moving parts, provided next winter is somewhat less hectic than the past one.

As to the MOT, some welding is required and a new windshield, but those are minor jobs. With the new engine & gearbox, I think the most age-related issues will be solved for a couple years.
Speechless quad lying flat on his bed, communicating by moving eyes.
BX Van 1.9D -90 Gone.
BX Van 16S -90 For sale.
BX Van 1.9D -90 (Earned!) Gone.
BX Break 1.9D -90 (officially a "5 seat van" since 2005) Waiting to be towed to a new home.
shovebus

Post by shovebus »

rmattila wrote:Thanks,

I'll put the new engine in place tomorrow and check the failed one later on when I have time. However, taking into account it has already travelled 720 000 km, I suspect it might be rather worn. It might be interesting to do a total disassembly and measure the wear in the moving parts, provided next winter is somewhat less hectic than the past one.

As to the MOT, some welding is required and a new windshield, but those are minor jobs. With the new engine & gearbox, I think the most age-related issues will be solved for a couple years.

I also have a bx van,1.9td in metallic brown,alloys and leather seats,16v skirt with foglights,i only know of 1 other,didnt realise there where more about!!
Jayboy
BXpert

Post by Jayboy »

Dave. The van in the subject in the Finnish model. Basically a 5 door estate with the raised roof. Not the panel van type that we own!
CCC BX Columnist
'89 16v P1
'90 BX GTi 4x4, 16v P2, 19 TZI auto A/C estate
'92 BX 19 TGD (now 17 Turbo D)
'93 BX 19 TXD estate & 19TD van
'93 ZX Volcane TD 3 Door
'71 DS 21 EFi Pallas, '86 Visa GTi ,
'98 Xantia Activa P1
'07 C4 by Loeb
3 x 2CV, 1 x Mehari