I'm looking to sell up ............. it's an age thing!

Buy or sell parts etc. Please put 'Wanted' in the title if it is a request for parts.
Linegeist
BXpert

I'm looking to sell up ............. it's an age thing!

Post by Linegeist »

Things they is a'changing!

Ageing parents means we are looking at hands-on care pretty soon - which is almost certainly going to mean a move down to Reading. I also have a long-standing back problem (thanks Army) which is starting to succumb to the ravages of age .... which means my plans for an engine swap are starting to look optimistic. :? I took the exhaust off my bike on Friday and couldn't stand up again afterwards. :? Time to start being sensible?

To cut a long story short - I'm seriously exploring the option of stepping off the BX ownership stage before I fall off. To this end, I'm looking at passing on my setup to one of the club members before advertising elsewhere.

Anyone interested would be looking at 2 cars - an exceptionally clean 1.6 Manual Athena (J) with 72k on the clock (which I'm not sure is genuine but can't prove it) and a 1.7TZD Estate (K) with a very real 82k on the clock (previous 1 elderly owner). The idea was to transplant the just-about-run-in Turbodiesel into the Athena at some point, along with the Recaro Seats, so I could have all the limited edition Athena toys such as the sunroof, electric windows, etc, but also the long legs and performance of the turbo motor.

I'm getting the feeling this isn't going to happen ..................

The Athena's in very good shape indeed and is fitted with a brand new Weber carb, fairly new tyres (last year) a new exhaust front pipe and almost new rear exhaust sections. I've serviced it every 5k since I got it using synthetic oil, I've replaced the rear arm bearings and the HP pump and the car's never missed a beat. It also has an in-line electric fuel primer pump because, as I don't use it very often, it saves the battery lifting fuel from the tank after it's drained back. 5 seconds on the button, 5 pumps on the pedal, and she starts first time every time.

The TZD's off the road and sorned - the idea was to use her as a spares car. It could be got running with minimal effort but has no MOT. I can't see any reason why it wouldn't pass with a couple of new tyres.

There are various spares - HP pumps, alternator, belts, wheels, workshop manuals - and I'd like them to go to someone who'll appreciate the amount of care I've lavished on them.

Anyone interested? I'm prepared to take a hit on price to see them both go to good home. PM me for a telephone number and a chat.

Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

Post by Defender110 »

No no no no! Bloody hell Bob this is all a bit sudden, I hope you've just had a bad day and change your mind??????? :(
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.
Linegeist
BXpert

Post by Linegeist »

Far from it Kev. Herself and I talked this over last week - the exhaust episode was the trigger ... time was, I'd have just done the job myself.

I'm not getting any younger, and classic car maintenance is a younger man's pastime. I've had a lot of fun - I've owned BX's for almost 10 years now and I love the things, but I need a newer car that I can get serviced in a garage (I'm not trusting a garage with my BX's) and that I'm not emotionally attached to. I'm selling off the motorbikes as well .......... :roll: Yeah I know - I'll regret it - but I'll regret it without needing a physio. :lol:

So we went to Manchester yesterday and bought a new Smart cabrio. Herself will drive that and I'm buying her boring Bora off her.

Sorted!

This doesn't mean you get rid of me off here of course. That'll take a seriously large bribe ........ :lol: :lol:
richardd1652
1K Away

Post by richardd1652 »

Pm,d.
rayfenwick
1K Away

Post by rayfenwick »

Linegeist wrote: This doesn't mean you get rid of me off here of course. That'll take a seriously large bribe ........ :lol: :lol:
Stick around Bob, the place wouldn't be the same without you...
Ray

The Fleet (most recent first):
2000 Citroën XM 3.0 24V V6 Exclusive Auto (pre-MOT)
1997 Citroën XM 2.0 TCT Exclusive Auto (for sale)
1979 Citroën CX 2.4 EI Cmatic Prestige (slowly being restored)

1992 Alfa Romeo 164 Lusso 3.0 v6 12v Manual (on the to-do list)

www.citroencarclub.co.uk
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

BXs can be replaced on here, but not you. Hang about even if you do have a Bora :lol:
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

richardd1652 wrote:Pm,d.
Appearing on ebay soon then Richard ey :wink:
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
richardd1652
1K Away

Post by richardd1652 »

No, finished having my clearout for the time been.
Although im thinking of buying a Ds or early Cx(not fallen out with Bx though before you ask) but if funds get sqeezed i may have to downsize a little more?
Richard.
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

OK glad to hear , I will be keeping my eye out though :wink:
Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

Post by Defender110 »

How sad you will have to leave your Anglesey hide away you have built up, you must stay on here though Bob from a purely selfish point of view your my favourite contributor, I'm genuinely saddened by this news.
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

Back on Topic,

I share the sentiment, Bob your a very important part of this forum as are your postings, if you do sell both, please keep in touch. :(
citroen7
BXpert

Post by citroen7 »

hi bob
what sort of money are you looking for the estate?
my brother in law owns a caravan park up the road from you so i could get it moved there until i can arrange transport it would have a good home and company with at least 2 other bxs and a c5 :D
electrokid
1K Away

Post by electrokid »

Back on Topic,

I share the sentiment, Bob your a very important part of this forum as are your postings, if you do sell both, please keep in touch.
..that_ :D
Last edited by electrokid on Mon May 16, 2011 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1992 BX19 TGD estate 228K Rusty - SORNed
2002 C5 HDi SX estate
rayfenwick
1K Away

Post by rayfenwick »

Sorry for the threadjack - especially as it seems I was the instigator. I (somewhat naively..) didn't expect it would run beyond my one message.

I, like most of the rest of us, am saddened to hear that Bob will be leaving not only BX ownership, but what seems like a lovely home also. At least it seems you have a level head about it Bob, I'm nowhere near as sensible I'm afraid :oops:

I'm very glad you'll be sticking around Bob, and sorry to you and everyone else if my going off at a tangent appeared insensitive.
Ray

The Fleet (most recent first):
2000 Citroën XM 3.0 24V V6 Exclusive Auto (pre-MOT)
1997 Citroën XM 2.0 TCT Exclusive Auto (for sale)
1979 Citroën CX 2.4 EI Cmatic Prestige (slowly being restored)

1992 Alfa Romeo 164 Lusso 3.0 v6 12v Manual (on the to-do list)

www.citroencarclub.co.uk
Linegeist
BXpert

Post by Linegeist »

Hell's teeth chaps! Talk about "Insert stick into nest and stir briskly!" :shock: :shock: :shock: What have I done????? #-o

I had no idea I was so popular - and I came over all warm and fuzzy.:shock: But it's OK now - when I checked, it was just my incontinence pad had slipped. :(

On my 'home' forum (www.shootforum.com) threads go off at more tangents than a set of log tables with a jetpack - trying to control 'em is like trying to have carnal knowledge of a greased weasel - so I'm not worried if nobody else is. :lol:

As for the BX's - I have no idea what they're worth. I'm reluctant to split them however, as the Estate is the source of excellent quality, low-mileage spares that'll keep the Athena on the road for a good few years. I look on the whole package of parts, spare exhausts, TZD donor, as a 'Classic Owners Kit' if you will, and is how I'd like to sell it on.

The TZD will realistically have to be trailered away (although it'll drive onto the trailer with no problem. It just hasn't been started for about 8 months and the battery's been on a chargemate during that period).

The elderly gent who owned it previously (from new) gave up driving due to failing eyesight. This means that, although its main components (engine/gearbox/running gear etc) are in first class condition, the TZD's body has enough dents and craters to give a phrenologist a nocturnal emission. If any potential owner considers it as a donor car, nobody'll be disappointed. It'll take major work to get it looking nice again.

As for doing the Foxtrot Oscar thing - I've made a lot of friends on here, and received a lot of favours, free advice and valuable help. Like a particularly cloying and pungent fart, I'd certainly like to stick around, if only for the first class camaraderie on the top people to be found on here (even if Scarecrow hates me at the moment :wink: :lol: ).
Last edited by Linegeist on Mon May 16, 2011 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.