Spec Question

Anything about BXs
hvanman
BXpert

Spec Question

Post by hvanman »

Hi, I am new to the BX scene and trying to track down a suitable car, but I'm not up to speed on the various different models.

I am looking at an ad for a BX 17 TGD saloon 1990. Would this be a turbo 17? If not, I am concerned it may struggle a bit compaired to a 19 diesel?

Many thanks, Simon
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

Hi Simon,

If its a "17TGD" its a 1769cc NON turbo diesel with 60bhp, and probably no power steering, they are frugal and a very sweet engine but no ball of fire.

They did make a turbo diesel version but that should be badged as a TGD TURBO with no mention of the engine size on the tailgate, it will have power steering, a rev counter and electric sunroof, none of which the 17TGD has (unless ordered as an option), the rev counter was not available at all.

Tim.
Last edited by Tim Leech on Tue Nov 08, 2011 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

A Simon who likes H vans. Trying to work out whether I know you or not...

Compared to an H van, I imagine a 17D would be like lightening! Is this the blue one? I've only got experience of both breeds of 1.9 diesel (65bhp and 71bhp) and its rare that they feel that slow - depending on how fast you want to go in the first place.

Ian
hvanman
BXpert

Post by hvanman »

OK, I will check with the seller, but if not a turbo I had better stick to looking for a 19 (I like the idea of a simpler engine anyway).

Many thanks.
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

hvanman wrote:OK, I will check with the seller, but if not a turbo I had better stick to looking for a 19 (I like the idea of a simpler engine anyway).

Many thanks.
If its a really nice one, why not go and give it a try, you may be surprised.

The 1.9D can be a better buy though as the power steering and 11 bhp are useful.
hvanman
BXpert

Post by hvanman »

I think you are right, it's worth a look. It has only done 57k and been stored in a garage for a year, but serviced yearly prior to that. It's a bit of a trip to view and it has no MOT, but looks a nice colour, but only one small picture to view so far.....
hvanman
BXpert

Post by hvanman »

A Simon who likes H vans. Trying to work out whether I know you or not...

Compared to an H van, I imagine a 17D would be like lightening! Is this the blue one? I've only got experience of both breeds of 1.9 diesel (65bhp and 71bhp) and its rare that they feel that slow - depending on how fast you want to go in the first place.
I have been a member of the CCC for many years and now have a couple of h vans, a yellow Mehari, 1961 2CV AZU van and my everyday car of a metallic grey 1967 DS.

I used to go to the H van rally fairly often and the DS rally and tech events, although missed out a bit this year due to clashing dates...

Yes it's a blue one that from the single picture looks nice and is up for £250, but until you see it in the flesh and try and get an MOT who knows... But, low milage and looks cared for... I guess I'm not that worried about the speed, it was just that while I have the chance to select a certain model, I was trying to find the best options possible, but since I'm looking for a bargain, I can't be too picky!!
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

hvanman wrote:I think you are right, it's worth a look. It has only done 57k and been stored in a garage for a year, but serviced yearly prior to that. It's a bit of a trip to view and it has no MOT, but looks a nice colour, but only one small picture to view so far.....

57k? thats very low miles, go take a look, it may be a peach!, but dont pay huge amounts for it as the 17 non turbo diesels are not that popular and of course it has no MOT.

I would start off at scrap money (£150) and see what he/she says, but stand a few feet away in case he gets a bit upset! :lol:

Where is the car? just thinking if anyones nearer to save you a trip to look.
hvanman
BXpert

Post by hvanman »

It looks straight, but as you say, it's a less popular model. It's at Market Bosworth, Leicester. Apparently it's had one owner who does not drive now, but it starts and drives... worth a look...
MULLEY
Over 2k
My Cars: 1999 Xsara LX 2.0HDI (90) Hatch - Fern
2002 C5 2.0 HDI (110) Estate - Jasmine - SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - SORN
1992 TZD Turbo Estate - SORN
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired - SORN
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

Post by MULLEY »

If its in good condition & with that sort of mileage, i'd forget about getting a 1900 diesel, as you'd struggle to probably get one with that sort of mileage & chances are it will be battle scarred. These day's if you see a decent one at the right price, forget what engine its got or spec level as you might not see another decent one for peanuts again anytime soon.
2002 C5 2.0 HDI Estate - Jasmine - Now SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - My daily
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired.
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

I'm not just a username, i'm also called Matthew.
hvanman
BXpert

Post by hvanman »

Yes I think it would be a very interesting car if it is sound, so I will try and get a viewing, mind you, I am going to take a look at the silver 19RD that was on the sale/wanted list, as that at least does have some MOT and seems to also have been well maintained and at 100k should still be fairly good.....
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

hvanman wrote:It looks straight, but as you say, it's a less popular model. It's at Market Bosworth, Leicester. Apparently it's had one owner who does not drive now, but it starts and drives... worth a look...
Which is about half an hour from me......

If you are in no rush I would try and take a look at it but its going to be a week or two as im off to Spain thursday then working every day when I get back.
hvanman
BXpert

Post by hvanman »

Very kind offer Tim, but I need to sort something ASAP, so if the seller responds I will try and get up there for a look, just to see what condition it's in.
Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

Re: Spec Question

Post by Defender110 »

hvanman wrote:I am looking at an ad for a BX 17 TGD saloon 1990. Would this be a turbo 17? If not, I am concerned it may struggle a bit compaired to a 19 diesel?
I used to have a 1.7 NA and as Ian has said speed was never an issue they are a great little engine, the lack of power steering unfortunately was for me :( But with that sort of miles if they are genuine it could be an absolute steal. I really wouldn't worry too much about lack of MOT if it is clean and been stored well they need very little to get them through a ticket.
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

hvanman wrote:Very kind offer Tim, but I need to sort something ASAP, so if the seller responds I will try and get up there for a look, just to see what condition it's in.
No worries Simon, I wa soff yesterday so could have gone up, let me know how you get on.