Electrical Help Needed Quickly!

BX Tech talk
Ian_Fearn
Spender lotta cash on Citroens

Electrical Help Needed Quickly!

Post by Ian_Fearn »

It turns out the MOT has ran out on the 4x4 and i need to get it back on the road ASAP.

The rear fog light is the main thing wrong with it. I've changed the switch and the bulb and neither lights work.

Is the wiring below a bodge?

Electrics really arent my thing, i wouldnt know what to do with a multimeter.

Over and out from me
Stinkwheel
1K Away

Post by Stinkwheel »

I cant say its a bodge as such, just the most simple solution to something i would say. Looks like someone needed an earth in a hurry and that was the easiest way of doing it.

Anyone wanna prove or disprove my thoughts?
Doctor Of Gonzo Journalism!!!
93 BX TZD Estate
90 BX 14TE St Tropez
93 BX 19 TXD Estate
92 BX 16TXi
77 Ami 8 Break
79 Acadiane
81 Dyane6
84 2CV6
85 GSA saloon rally car
To slightly mis-quote Kitch ... "BX 14. They're just brilliant!"
M

Post by M »

Exactly the same earth repair on Vera and also on Rubina (thankfully Mandy doesnt need one yet) - works a treat so I have left alone.

Do you have 12V at the lamp cluster when teh switch is on - if not out with the DMM and chase the fault - otherwise graft a new lenghth of wire in from the relay / switch back.
Ian_Fearn

Post by Ian_Fearn »

I'm sorry but i do NOT understand electrics. They are for clever people.... i am not!

Where exactly do i need to put the multimeter probes?
Over and out from me
Barnsley BXer
1K Away

Post by Barnsley BXer »

Stick 'em where the sun don't shine :twisted: Sorry mate warped sense of humour overcame me again :oops:
1990 GTI 4x4
1992 TZD
Dear Drooper............................
Ian_Fearn

Post by Ian_Fearn »

Yes, the car has a pukka citroen towbar with the electrics fitted. Where is this cut off thingy likely to be?
Over and out from me
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Post by DavidRutherford »

it's built into the socket. The system works very much like plugging in headphones to a stereo system cuts out the speakers: When you plug in the trailer, the foglamps on the car should "cut out".

But... a bit of corrosion in the socket, and the fog lamps remain cut out perrmanently.

To bypass the fog cut system, find the foglamp feed to the socket, and the return to the car lamp clusters, and bridge them together. The fog cut system will no longer work, but the foglamps will (hopefully)
this might be a signature
M

Post by M »

DavidRutherford wrote:it's built into the socket.
Not necesserally (sic)
Vera had a genuine Citroen jobbie and had a little fog light cut out box inside the nearside rear wing - this enables a normal 12N type socket to be used and senses the current draw bypassing the lamp - load of tosh and didnt work on Vera, so I cut it out & hard wired the lamp in anyway so both van & car lit up (same on old Laguna) - never bothered me really.
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

Had this one on my TD - proper socket long since gone! - All power for the towbar comes from LH light unit. Temporary repair is simply to unplug the towbar lights and plug the rest back in - quite obvious when you look. I eventually found the foglight lead in the ribbon cable and bridged it.

jeremy
sleepy0905
1K Away

Post by sleepy0905 »

Had similar problem last week with the tail lamps check the contacts are clean and that the bulb cantacts are clean i ended up bending the contact at the bottom of the buld hole up a little and hey presto cured.
2017 Seat Leon ST FR 2.0 150Bhp
Ian_Fearn

Post by Ian_Fearn »

When you say LH do you mean passenger side on a RHD car?
Over and out from me
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

Yes I do mean the passenger side of a RHD car. In fact I think all BX (and Citroen) backlight wiring runs from left to right with most of the bits being in the LH unit.

jeremy
Ian_Fearn

Post by Ian_Fearn »

PROBLEM SOLVED!!!

Jon your a bloody genius!!

I pulled all the towbar connectors off (luckily they're all Citroen standard parts) and its all working perfectly now!!

Thanks to all that have helped!
Over and out from me
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Post by DavidRutherford »

Marty wrote:normal 12N type socket to be used and senses the current draw bypassing the lamp
That's a bit cleverer than the "switch in the socket" type.

Although the same fix is no doubt true.... disconnect feed from wiring loom and feed to car fog lamps and bridge together.

Personally I don't see the point in fog cut systems. I've never had a working fog cut system on anything I've owned, and I tow an awful lot.
this might be a signature