Wanted: Clutch pedal spring (are mk1 and mk 2 the same??)

Buy or sell parts etc. Please put 'Wanted' in the title if it is a request for parts.
PhilGreaves
BXpert
My Cars: CCC X**tia Columnist!! forgive me for I was led astray..

1984 Citroen BX 16TRS restored and now with fully functional power steering..!
1994 Citroen Xantia 1.9 TD SX (Jan 1994, no airbags but antisink fitted)

Wanted: Clutch pedal spring (are mk1 and mk 2 the same??)

Post by PhilGreaves »

Hi guys sorry i've been away for so long. To be honest I'm not much of a forum/internet person really lol and i've been busy trying to find work and other things. But you all know the BX is in safe hands, right?!

Well the BX broke big time after it came back from the garage the second time and there may have been a few accusations of it trying to commit suicide and kill the driver. To cut a long story short the carb cuts out at idle or on the overrun...then the steering pulls hard left..so on a roundabout you get catapulted towards traffic waiting to enter...aren’t old cars fun?! Graham came up and looked at it reckons I need a new carb and for the moment pulled the accelerator cable out futher. As for me well I just swore at it and put it in the garage...now I’m thinking i should try to get it out.

For the moment I really need a new clutch pedal spring. Hope I’ve got the terminology right (?). Basically it’s the spring that attaches to the top of the clutch pedal and the bulkhead and extends when you put your foot on the clutch.

So i need to know:
1) Are the springs the same on mk 1s and 2s?
2) Where are they available from? Dealers only? I'm assuming its unique to Citroen too and i can't nick one off a Peugeot? I’m guessing I’d need a new one as if i get a second hand one won't it be just as bad as mine? (mine extends but doesn’t contract).

I suppose I should ask for a rough idea of cost too?

If I replace this you see it may actually get on the road despite the carb issues…we could really do with a working spare car right now (xantia has a few issues).

On the plus side..teh bonnet looks ace as do the sills i'd gladly show you some photos...but its stuck in the garage.... :oops:

Thanks in advance and hope your BXs are behaving,

Phil

P.S bit of a long shot but has anyone seen any decent hdi xantias about?
regards
Phil & Earl

1984 Citroen BX 16 TRS mk 1 "Earl" restored sept 2011 and now with fully functional power steering..!

CCC X**tia Columnist!! forgive me for I was led astray..
1994 Citroen Xantia 1.9 TD SX (Jan 1994, no airbags but anti-sink fitted)
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Re: Wanted: Clutch pedal spring (are mk1 and mk 2 the same??

Post by Tim Leech »

PhilGreaves wrote:P.S bit of a long shot but has anyone seen any decent hdi xantias about?
Your on the wrong forum to ask that, Xantias are the work of the devil! :evil: :lol:
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
PhilGreaves
BXpert

Post by PhilGreaves »

Roverman wrote: Your on the wrong forum to ask that, Xantias are the work of the devil! :evil: :lol:
:lol: fair enough..had to ask..always liked sinkers with the XUD though..

anyway back on topic..clutch spring thingy? Any thoughts people...though i guess i'd really need to speak to a mk1 bx owner/expert..lol any left? Just take a quick peak at a mk 1 and then a mk 2…

please help please help. I promise i'll come onto the forum once a week to update you. Or never again if you prefer :!: :wink: :lol:

the ridiculous thing is i used to have access to citroens own parts catalogue but i've lost the address.

thanks
Phil
regards
Phil & Earl

1984 Citroen BX 16 TRS mk 1 "Earl" restored sept 2011 and now with fully functional power steering..!

PhilGreaves
BXpert

Post by PhilGreaves »

Managed to get a photo- hopefully its good enough so you can see waht an earth im gonig on about!

As you can hopefully see the spring attaches to both the bulkhead and the top of the clutch pedal . It’s about 10cm long (though I admit hard to measure in situ).

So could someone please tell me if it’s the same as mark 2s etc? lol…go on stick your heard underneath your mk 2 bx dashboard and have a peak! Without this spring being replaced I’m not sure how to go about getting it out of the garage- its got a lot worse so it’s very difficult to find the biting point, which combined with the carb issues makes it difficult to manoeuvre at slow speeds...such as backwards down a gently curving driveway...

If it is the same as mk 2s is it still available new? Obviously due to the nature of springs I’d like one new. Though I think I’ve found a few second hand sources…..

Thanks
Phil
P.S Hdi xantia search is over...
regards
Phil & Earl

CGATCX25GTITURBO
BXpert

Post by CGATCX25GTITURBO »

I thought that spring was just to keep the pedal in the cable and so it didn't bounce about :) it doesn't look strong enough for owt else :)
missing my 1992 BX19TGD
1987 BX19 GTI 8)
CX25 GTI TURBO CGAT 86 CGAT :twisted:
19TD temp 2 Xantia estate :)
600 Bandit 97 :)
ZX12R 00 :evil:
Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

Post by Defender110 »

PhilGreaves wrote:Just take a quick peak at a mk 1 and then a mk 2…

please help please help.
thanks
Phil
Go on then, it's the same as my MK2 TZD by torch light on a freezing cold night in my pyjamas.
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.
PhilGreaves
BXpert

Post by PhilGreaves »

Defender110 wrote:
PhilGreaves wrote:Just take a quick peak at a mk 1 and then a mk 2…

please help please help.
thanks
Phil
Go on then, it's the same as my MK2 TZD by torch light on a freezing cold night in my pyjamas.
Thank you so so much. You don't know then trouble this has caused me!

Now all i have to do is find a replacement...probably from someone stripping down a mk 2. Off to ebay then.

(obviously if anyone from heres got one let me know- incredibly high price paid)

As for what it does as far as i acn see it basically resests the clutch pedal to the normal position when you take your foot off. Or in my case very slooooooowly does this....

Anyone thanks very much for that

Phil
P.S lol you couldve left it till this morning. Though i suppose then you'd have done it in 'snow'..
regards
Phil & Earl

Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

Phil

Have you replaced the cable at all?, or disconnected it from the clutch lever arm to see if it moved fore and aft with ease.
Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

Post by Defender110 »

Phil

As Tim has said you need to check your cable or the pedal spindle to make sure all is moving freely. As CGATCX25GTITURBO has said;
All this spring does is pull the pedal down (cable up/outwards) to maintain slight pressure on the cable to take up the slack. It is not a clutch pedal return spring as fitted to vehicles with hydraulic clutches. The one in your picture looks fine and not in need of replacement?
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.
PhilGreaves
BXpert

Post by PhilGreaves »

Oh .....<censored> whats the rule on swearing on here?!

Apologies to CGATCX25GTITURBO and Defender110...your right im wrong. (nothings changed there then! :lol: ).

i don't know why but i remembered physics at school..something about a spring under presure will twang..Sure enough it does.

So; clutch cable. No hasn't been done. As far as i can tell from my limited service history its never had a clutch change either..please don't tell me it needs this- we've already got one citroen needing a clutch change. The smug look on my dads face would be more than i could bear!! (he's got an Audi which seemingly never fails..)

So clutch pedal is slow to rise, sort of hard or spongy feeling when pressed. So hopefully the cable (i spy a few on ebay); if so does anyone know how many hours labour this will be at a garage? I'm presuming the clutch cable is the same on mk 1s and 2s?

mind its only 8 steps in the haynes manual...is it possible for me to do this myself? If i can get the nuts off the bracket- knowing my luck i wont have the right size socket. Mind then i'd have to adjust the clutch. Go on someone tell me how simpe it is? To be blunt im running out of possbilities..

Oh should also mention- the spring underneath the bonnet on the clutch operating lever- how important is that? Mines pretty slack to be honest..

thanks
phil
(<censored> brake light is out too- how?! its done nothing but sit there!)

Fast approaching my basil fawlty impression to be honest.
regards
Phil & Earl

Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

If its never had a clutch then most likely thats the culprit Phil, but I would start with a cable, they are easy to do and cost about £7!

Anyone with a basic mechanical knowledge (and a haynes manual) can do it.
RxBX
Over 2k

Post by RxBX »

Roverman wrote:If its never had a clutch then most likely thats the culprit Phil, but I would start with a cable, they are easy to do and cost about £7!

Tim, have you ever changed one personally ?

As your aware I'm pretty good at most repair tasks on BX's and XM's and having changed quite a few clutches and clutch cables in my time on various vehicles, personally IMHO I've never looked forward to changing a clutch cable on a BX as there quite a Bar-steward to change (due to the lack of access between the engine and bulkhead) also hooking up the end of cable to the clutch lever is sometimes awkward too, compared to other makes of vehicles, (i.e. a 'Fix Or Repair Daily' ) but a BX one is easier than one on a 2.1TD (manual) XM !

I've seen/tested (In the the past) a few BX's which have had a recent clutch cable changed by an incompetent garage or a novice DIYer where they've allowed the inner cable to chaff the bulkhead entry usually due to poor fitting of the outer cable rubber grommet shroud/clamp plate or leaving it off or even omitting one of the self tapping (Bulkhead) retaining screws !

Hence this can cause a poor cable/feel to the operation of the clutch and thus in time the premature cable failure thro' chaffing of the inner cable (if incorrectly fitted) !

On the BX's I've changed clutch cables on (both N/A and Turbo Diesels), I've always had to get them up on car ramps (On the drive) to enable decent access from the under side of the vehicle to aid the removal/fitting at the bulkhead/pedal-box end of the cable !

If you personally have or the use of a four post ramp or better still a two post lift it will help to reduce the fitting time !

Last edited by RxBX on Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

RxBX wrote:
Roverman wrote:If its never had a clutch then most likely thats the culprit Phil, but I would start with a cable, they are easy to do and cost about £7!

Tim, have you ever changed one personally ?

Yes a while ago, fiddley but with this being a 1.6 petrol its a bit easier than an oil burner. Its worth a try for what they cost, as the car isnt being used at the moment take your time with it.
Discoil
BXpert

Post by Discoil »

Do you still need the spring.
Just found the packet with them in !
Land Rover Discovery TD5
NeilGP
BXpert

Post by NeilGP »

Phil,

Have you greased the L lever clutch linkage (link the clutch cable to the release lever)?
This L lever bearing is a common failure for seizing. I would recommend that this is unbolted and lubed first.

I have done a couple of clutch cables on my MK1 and you need good underside access to feed the pedel end of the cable in. (usually two people, one to feed the cable in to the bulkhead and one to pivot the clutch pedal and capture the cable
Neil
A476 RBX
Series 1 BX 16TRS
+ 2015 C4 Flair (boring compared to BX!)