Hopefully picking up my 'new' BX 1.9 D 'Meteor' on Thursday!

Anything about BXs
oilybox
Confirmed BX'er

Hopefully picking up my 'new' BX 1.9 D 'Meteor' on Thursday!

Post by oilybox »

Hi all,
I am new to the BX ownership 'crowd', my late father used to have a BX 14, (or was it 16?) TRS?, when I was a bit younger, before that he had a G Special, and then a GSA Pallas. I have always been fascinated by the uppy-downy Ciroens ever since. I was looking for a reliable, cheap car to replace my tiny Daewoo Matiz, (which has just gone past 110,000miles!), it's beginning to make nasty noises in the engine, and because of its smallness, it is a pig to work on, parts and insurance are very pricey too!
Looking forwards to the BX, what sort of reliability issues are there? The one I'm getting has lots or service history, and bills etc, but has 165,000 odd miles on it. I am of the old skool of thought 'a diesel isn't run in til it's done 100,000', can anyone vouch for this with the 1.9 Diesel engines?
My one is 1992 car, and looks to be in very good condition for its age.
Thanks in advance,
Matt
mechanically-minded, technically-gifted,....self-confessed fix-it yourself fan....
Mickey taker
Over 2k

Post by Mickey taker »

welcome to the very exclusive meteor club
1991 BX Meteor 1.6

light travels faster than sound, thats why you look intelligent and then you spoil it all by opening your mouth !!!!!
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

Welcome aboard! If it was a TRS it would of been either a 16 or 19 petrol.

The 1.9D Engines have been known to go well past 200,000 miles if maintained properly. The trick is to change the oil regularly and dont forget the cambelt too.

Is this the silver car that was on Ebay?
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Hi and welcome. Had my eye on that BX myself. Looks good.

I've had a Matiz myself. I remember the cramped engine bay. The headlamps were bigger than the engine itself! In fact, I traded in my first BX for the Matiz. I think you've done it the correct way around!

Spend some time browsing the Tech FAQ and Technical sections. There's a lot to take in but BXs are simple to work on and generally reliable if looked after. Makes me wonder - should we assemble a 'So you've bought a BX' intro guide?
oilybox
Confirmed BX'er

Post by oilybox »

Yes, it was the silver one on eBay...... It looked SO good in the pics, originally I wasn't going to go over £500, but eBay bit me and wouldn't let go, I put in a higher bid hoping to second-guess a rival, and win it for just over the £500 mark, maybe £510 or so, but it crept up a bit. Really looking forward to picking it up in the week, I can't wait to get back to 'floating around' in a Citroen again, this time, I'll be driving instead of my dear old Dad... :lol:
mechanically-minded, technically-gifted,....self-confessed fix-it yourself fan....