Diesel pump swap....?

BX Tech talk
oilybox
Confirmed BX'er

Diesel pump swap....?

Post by oilybox »

Is swapping from Lucas CAV or Roto pump to Bosch type an easy job ? .... Just in case my Meteor doesn't have the Bosch pump.... As I intend to go the veg oil/diesel mix route eventually....or will it all need 'setting-up' again afterwards?
mechanically-minded, technically-gifted,....self-confessed fix-it yourself fan....
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

You'll also need injectors (different opening pressures), injector pipes and a DTI to set up the pump timing again afterwards.

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
Mothman

Re: Diesel pump swap....?

Post by Mothman »

oilybox wrote:Is swapping from Lucas CAV or Roto pump to Bosch type an easy job ? .... Just in case my Meteor doesn't have the Bosch pump.... As I intend to go the veg oil/diesel mix route eventually....or will it all need 'setting-up' again afterwards?
At the moment i wouldnt bother with using veggie oil as its the same price as diesel, a least it is around where i live and i havnt seen any offers in any of the supermarkets i go to. You will have to go to a lot of trouble which probably wont justify the expense and if you cock it up your Meteor wont run at all.

Andy
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Hi, if you want a BX with Bosch set up - (although the veg/diesel thing is only an advantage if you clock up huge miles) - then (it has to be said) it would be easier to get a BX with it already.
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
Oilyspanner
BXpert

Post by Oilyspanner »

As stated you will need pump, pipes and injectors, that said I put a lot of vegoil through a rotodiesel pumped BX with no problems, I have also swapped pumps over, there are two lots of holes in the alloy pump mounting plate, swap the studs into the other three holes and its away, I would get hold of all the bosch bits, put them in a box, and then run vegoil through the rotodiesel :)
The beatings will continue until morale improves
c90cassette
Confirmed BX'er

bosch pump

Post by c90cassette »

hi is woth running bosch pump on veg oil except very cold weather!can stillbuy 20l for £20 from asian wholesale shop or costco,bye rob.
hi i am rob in liverpool 1989 bx 17 dtr turbo
mike st gilles
BXpert

Post by mike st gilles »

1 litre of Veg oil at the Pound shop is ......surprise, surprise.... yes 1 pound. I'll let you guess what it costs at the 99p store........I put that at a saving of around 49/48p a litre compared with derv. (excuse lack of pound sign....I'm using an american keyboard and it doesn't have the pound sign only the $ one)
Mike
Garlic Bread 'its the future'.
90 BX TZD Auto lives in France. 93 BX TXD Estate having had Ken Newbolds magic wand waved over it. 98' Honda Deauville NTV650.. '86 Fiat Ducato Swift Kontiki Camper
kiwi
Over 2k

Post by kiwi »

mike st gilles wrote:I'm using an american keyboard and it doesn't have the pound sign only the $ one)
Bit off topic here.

I use a kiwi keyboard made in Thailand :lol: with the same problem. Some tech savy person told me how to change the layout so you can use the pound sign when you need it you just got to remebr the @ and " have changed places. :wink: as you can tell I dont bother either :wink:
1991 BX19 TZS 04/01/91 (Deceased)
1990 BX19 TRS 27/10/89 (Reborn)
1992 BX19 TXD (Ex UK - K 744 SDF) 15/06/92
1990 BX19 TZS Auto 06/11/1989
1992 BX TZD Turbo Estate (Ex UK) 1/07/91