Does Winter brings problems for BX owners?

Anything about BXs
kiwi
Over 2k

Does Winter brings problems for BX owners?

Post by kiwi »

So it is coming up for its first winter ownership with me (The TXD) and now the cold is playing havoc with the Car. First the speedometer decided to emit a banchee yell when the temperature got close to freezing, the alternator light started a faint glow with the heater fan on full and headlights onand today on a long haul a dark coloured drip was sighted under the sump. However this maybe why the hydraulic warning light came on. My suspicion being after 15 years in the unfrozen north of NZ that the cold central north island winters are not agreeing with it.

So heres my list of BX repairs! Outstanding the TZD few dash bulbs, possible sunroof motor (coming out of the TRS), Clutch and now a Hyraulic leak somewhere. On teh TZS a heater matrix and stuck heater tap and on the TRS besides Tyres which have been swaped to the other two, a rear creeky bearing, dead battery and difficult starting carbie. Oh forgot on the TZS the battery (again taken from the TRS) may also be on its way out just months out of warrenty.

Nice to own a BX! Then again the wifes mitsi auto gearbox has no overdrive or reverse and the wheel camber is shot so two new front tyres.

My pushbike looks like it needs an upgrade :)
1991 BX19 TZS 04/01/91 (Deceased)
1990 BX19 TRS 27/10/89 (Reborn)
1992 BX19 TXD (Ex UK - K 744 SDF) 15/06/92
1990 BX19 TZS Auto 06/11/1989
1992 BX TZD Turbo Estate (Ex UK) 1/07/91
electrokid
1K Away

Re: Does Winter brings problems for BX owners?

Post by electrokid »

I'm sure we've had the 'glowing alternator light' discussion before somewhere - I still think it's most likely to be a single phase missing - the alternator is a 3 phase AC device rectified to DC so if one diode goes open circuit you'll still charge the battery with the other two - it just won't be as powerfull - will take longer to recharge after starting - and twice every revolution of the alternator there will be zero output which accounts for the faint glow of the light.
1992 BX19 TGD estate 228K Rusty - SORNed
2002 C5 HDi SX estate
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

The other point to note is that if the ignition switched positive on the other side of the warning light is lower than battery/alternator voltage, i.e. if there is significant resistance in (say) the ignition switch and things like the blower motor are causing a voltage drop over that resistance; then the light will glow dimly as current is flowing in the opposite direction.

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Oh and when it gets really cold, your doors will freeze shut. That's always fun!
Wooscary
BXpert

Post by Wooscary »

Dollywobbler wrote:Oh and when it gets really cold, your doors will freeze shut. That's always fun!
I was spraying a little GT-85 or similar on the seals last winter, which seemed to keep opening a possibility. No idea what that might do to the seals long term though.
kiwi
Over 2k

Post by kiwi »

electrokid wrote:I'm sure we've had the 'glowing alternator light' discussion before somewhere
Thaks for reminding me about that. Yes a few years ago had the same thing showing up on the TZS only that was with throwing on the aircon as well (this cars got a sunroof) on that occassion I had the bushes replaced and alternator rebuilt. I guess being a diesel thats not going to be the same as the petrol one on the 19TRS (another sunroof model)?
kiwi
Over 2k

Post by kiwi »

Dollywobbler wrote:Oh and when it gets really cold, your doors will freeze shut. That's always fun!
Oh can I show you some pictures of ice on vehicles :shock: Frozen doors you need a pick axe to chip your way in plus a blow torch :lol: Luckily for me I have a garage overnight the biggest risk of an Ice Storm is leaving it up on the hill and that dont happen if I can help it (hence I drive a Bus for work :wink: )

I think what I was originally getting at is how those pesky problems seem to multiple over winter and how fragile things tend to get into braking.
Mike Holdstock
Confirmed BX'er

Post by Mike Holdstock »

I've been driving BS's through Swedish winters since 1996 and rarely had any problems - but that maybe because they were somehow breathed on prior to delivery?
Doors freezing can happen, yes it is the rubber strip which, if damp or gets condensation locks up. The local solution is to use a silicon "pen" (barrel with liquid, 'pen' is foam plastic) available at evry petrol station here and smear silicon on the rubber. I reckon wiping the rubber seal strips with silicon-soaked rag will do the job.
Door locks also can be a problem, once again there is lots of product here, both aerosol and liquid lubricant. I think once again its water in solid form thats the problem. The one that is a bit of a bummer is the petrol filler cap - something happens in the seal at the top of the metal pipe (as well as the key insert being subject to freezing). ALL locks can suffer from the sprung shield getting stuck/frozen. A common solution is heating the key with a cig lighter or a match to warm up the key to defrost the lock innards. The big thing to watch out for is thaw/freeze - water gets in places in the thaw, then freezes and jams things.
Electrics - we have cold down to -30C combined with very short days i.e. lots of lighting, heavy starter motor loads....That means that battery has to be in good nick likewise genny or you wont make it every time. Winter-rated oils also reduce engine reistance at start - and I now by habit alwast start from cold with the clutch depressed (to avoid dragging the frozen gearbox round as well.
Lifting the wipers from the windscreen is a good preventive measure - frozen wipers can render a wiper motor dead (but that was on my Xantia).

But, like I said I think the BXs have been very reliable through these winters.

Mike
Karlstad Sweden.
OWNS a BX19i 1990 tri with only 110k km on the clock and no rust
OWNS a life-threatened BX16i and delighted with it (but poor relationship with test station)
HAS HAD 89 BX14iRE (dead)
HAS HAD 88 BX19GtI (dead)
HAD 89 BX14RE which was still motoring very well at 280.000km when there was too much rust (gone)
HAD about 5 GS (first 1978) in the 70's, 80's and 90's, loved them, would dearly have one again.
HAD a DS Break - Succumbed to the rust of ages..