MOT Day

Anything about BXs
adamskibx
BXpert

MOT Day

Post by adamskibx »

Today I took the BX for it's MOT. I was asked to sit in the car and jiggle the steering wheel, and make the car go up and down. One thing that really made me think about how dangerous the hydraulics can be in the wrong hands - The car dropped in about a millisecond while up on the ramps. I thought the ramp had dropped, but it was because the MOT guy pulled on the control bar.

It failed, on LHM reaching the brake disk guards (and I don't think its the strut returen pipes), rear foglamp out, light interference AKA bad earth, the welding which they are doing next weekend, and the exhaust middle box that he said he will botch for the retest.

I also noticed, the moment the car wheels lifted the ground, that the back wheels went from leaning to vertical (but he didn't so I have got a while longer to sort the bearings out), and the torque steer I have noticed since mounting a curb, did not show up as a worn bush or anything. No play at all was detected in the steering or suspension.

As a side note; would you feel confident about a random garage being able to replace strut return pipes? I have said I will provide the part and they can fit, but do you need special tools? I might even have a go myself, although I am yet to work out if it is the return pipes or something else (can't really see it being anyth8ing else, but then, they look fine).
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Re: MOT Day

Post by Tim Leech »

Mounting the curb could have knocked the tracking out, which isnt checkec as part of the MOT? Otherwise asdies the welding its not to bad, a bulb, a rusty earth and a bit of rubber pipe!
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
adamskibx
BXpert

Post by adamskibx »

Yes, to be honest I was quite pleased. If I can get the Fiat up and running soon, I am going to pass the BX on to my brother as he could do with a car as he will be getting a job soon, and that way I can keep on top of repairs as long as he pays for the parts. Having said that, the Fiats MOT wont be quite so easy I feel. At the moment, I would feel comfortable all day in London traffic in the BX, but there is no way the Fiat would have even made it to the MOT station, let alone being left running for the whole 50 minutes.

Any yes Tim, it could be the tracking, although I dont see how toe in or toe out on the tracking would make it torque steer, as both sides will be equally wrong as long as its going in a straight line...Its as though something stretches or moves only under acceleration, and not all all under braking.
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Strut returns are pretty simple, but getting the clip back on can be a pain. I'd worry about a garage that couldn't find a good solution to that problem though, so hopefully it won't stump them.
adamskibx
BXpert

Post by adamskibx »

Okay great. Well I might even have a go myself then, clean up the area, and produce the old ones as evidence of the job done. The rate of leakage, even if its not the strut returns, is so low, that I have never ever had to top up the fluid in the 2000 miles that I have covered, and there is never any fluid on the road, so I am not too worried about it. Yes, getting on the disks would be a problem, but I dont think at the flow rate its got that any significant enough amount would get on the disk, especially considering the infinate reserve of extra pressure the system can deploy if there was fluid on the disk.

I am actually thinking it could be the metal pipe that passes through the wing, where the return and the octopus meet...It really annoys me that I can only think this -- Until I move at the end of the week, I live a good 10 minutes walk from the car. I will be checking it all out and ordering the strut returns if I cant find the problem.
citronut
Over 2k

Post by citronut »

leg pipes are easy read here

http://www.bxclub.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=15667" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

regards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
H reg CX saffari 2.5 TRI (now gone to Malaysia)
R reg xantia 1.9TD est (gone to meet its maker)
adamskibx
BXpert

Post by adamskibx »

Thanks Malcolm. I have had leaky strut pipes on previous BX's, but those were obviously damaged and dripping; these look absolutely fine, and seem dry, so there is a chance it could be something else. I just can't think what other than the metal pipes going through the wing.
citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

Any yes Tim, it could be the tracking, although I dont see how toe in or toe out on the tracking would make it torque steer, as both sides will be equally wrong as long as its going in a straight line...Its as though something stretches or moves only under acceleration, and not all all under braking.
It could do with which way it's out. You usually find that front wheel drive cars have their tracking set with a slight toe out, as the power going though the wheels will correct this. If you have a slight toe in, it may be pulling up straight because the alignment is improving slightly under braking. It will also give the impression of torque steer because the camber of the road and the way the weight is distributed across the car may be loading the front wheels unevenly, with the side with the greater weight gripping better.
Mike Sims
BX 19RD Estate Mk1 - Timex!
BX 4X4 Estate - Oh god, I've done it again!
BX 17RD MK1 - it called to me!
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
XM Turbo SD,GS Club Estate,Visa 17D Leader,HY Pickup,Dyane Nomad,Dyane 6,2CV AZL,Falcon S,Trabant P50,3x Land Rovers (88" series 1,109" series 2a FFR,series 2a Marshall ambulance),DKW F7, Lambretta LD150 x 1.5,Mobylette SP93,Ural Cossack,Ural M63,CZ 250 Sport,Honda Varadero 125,lots of bicycles & tricycles including (but not only) Sunbeams,Higgins & Bates!
adamskibx
BXpert

Post by adamskibx »

Very good analysis Mike. Thanks for sharing your insight. Tracking it is then!
citronut
Over 2k

Post by citronut »

or the torque steer is because the rear arm bearings are shot, ansd nout to do with tracking,
does she wear front tyres ( both inner or both outter edges alike ),
if not the tracking is fine

regards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
H reg CX saffari 2.5 TRI (now gone to Malaysia)
R reg xantia 1.9TD est (gone to meet its maker)
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

I remember taking in a nasty Corsa a few years ago, the owner had just had a s/h rack put in for the MOT (one of those electronic ones), but didnt bother to get it tracked up as he just wanted a ticket and to get shut asap. It wandered all over the place and would torque steer terribly so if it were me Adam I would get it tracked up, probably £20 well spent and will save you money in tyre wear and fuel.
adamskibx
BXpert

Post by adamskibx »

Yes - Ill ask the garage to do it. Its definately not the rear arm bearings as it had only been like this since the front right wheel mounted a curb while parking (and deflated the tyre). The rear arm bearing do need doing, but they are not affecting the torque steer. The main symptom of rear arm bearing failure seems to be sudden rear wheel steering when hitting a pot hole..
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

Is the wheel damaged Adam? I have plenty of spare BX steel wheels if you need one.
adamskibx
BXpert

Post by adamskibx »

The wierd thing is Tim, the wheel and tyre look totally undamaged. Its in the boot for now until I get it looked at. Its as though the impact just broke the seal between tyre and wheel for long enough for all the air to escape. Either that or the incident coincidentally coincided with a hard to see puncture. Maybe the valve gave way? Its a mystery to me.

Anyway, a spare wheel would be good if youve got one, thanks!. Only problem is distance. To be honest though, there is no rush as it was only an advisory on the MOT. Nice to have though.
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

No worries Adam, will save you one.