TD R/H (non ABS) Driveshaft wanted

Buy or sell parts etc. Please put 'Wanted' in the title if it is a request for parts.
ghaddon1701
BXpert

TD R/H (non ABS) Driveshaft wanted

Post by ghaddon1701 »

I could do with a TD/16v (non ABS) R/H (offside) driveshaft please. Can anybody help? Thanks.

Regards Graham
JayW
1K Away

Re: TD R/H (non ABS) Driveshaft wanted

Post by JayW »

All 16V's had ABS.

Fortunately, you can use either on a non-ABS car!
I have zero patience for your tedium.
ghaddon1701
BXpert

Post by ghaddon1701 »

As I understand it 16v and TD's had stronger driveshafts than all other BX's? I am having trouble finding any information one way or the other online. I am afraid I don't have access to the Citroen Parts website. My BX TD does not have ABS but if there is a stronger driveshaft available for it I would prefer to buy that. I don't want to buy the wrong driveshaft and it be worn out in no time. Thanks.

Regards Graham
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

Surely the shaft 'wears out' because of the CV joints and not because of the diameter of the shaft? I thought the valver and TD had the bigger shaft simply to resist the extra torque, and reduce the effects of torque steer etc? I can't really imagine what difference putting a normal shaft on the TD would actually make to longevity of the part, if your struggling to find the large size that is.

Would a Xantia one fit? I seem to think the Xantia one is a little longer, but not sure if it is 'too' long. The TD ones are really really chunky.
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

I can't see a normal shaft wearing out any faster too, but would be (slightly) concerned about a shorter fatigue life. Whether that's relevant or not I guess depends on how you drive and how many more miles you plan to do in the car. Never actually heard of a shaft breaking which suggests they are not near their design limits.

BX Bandit is running Picasso shafts in a TD BX with no problems, and these are more substantial than the BX ones.

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
Geoffrey Gould
BXpert

Post by Geoffrey Gould »

Hi, some of the new shafts made by a certain company G*N are very thin and have been known to bend and go banana shaped under torque also the actual CV joints have run out of true. As have been said 16V and TD shafts are thicker and I believe the CV joints on some do vary in diameter depending on the manufacturer.
There are various shafts on ebay at the moment, it is well worth contacting the seller if they do not have the side that you want as I find that they are more than willing to see if they have what you want.
I cant see GSF selling that many as advertised, at over £100 ea.

G.
1991 BX 1-7 td Auto.

I MAY NOT BE ALWAYS RIGHT BUT I AM
NEVER WRONG.