Timex and friends

Tell us about life with your BX, or indeed life in general!
toddao
BXpat

Re: Timex

Post by toddao »

love it mate! Mk.1 BX Estate/Break Bruv :-reindeer :-reindeer
Todd

this yellow writing is really hard to read
citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

Thanks Todd :D

Hi Des - luckily I'm in the hills, so have the double advantage of being sheltered from the wind while also being 300ft above sea level. Mind you, I'm only a few miles from the Severn flood plain, which has been hit hard.
Mike Sims
BX 19RD Estate Mk1 - Timex!
BX 4X4 Estate - Oh god, I've done it again!
BX 17RD MK1 - it called to me!
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
XM Turbo SD,GS Club Estate,Visa 17D Leader,HY Pickup,Dyane Nomad,Dyane 6,2CV AZL,Falcon S,Trabant P50,3x Land Rovers (88" series 1,109" series 2a FFR,series 2a Marshall ambulance),DKW F7, Lambretta LD150 x 1.5,Mobylette SP93,Ural Cossack,Ural M63,CZ 250 Sport,Honda Varadero 125,lots of bicycles & tricycles including (but not only) Sunbeams,Higgins & Bates!
Des Smith
1K Away

Post by Des Smith »

Phew. Half my family came from Holland which is perpetually flat and in danger of flooding. The other half came from the Fens - ditto. I guess something genetic makes me prefer hills to flood plains, so I live halfway up Crystal Palace hill.

Good to watch the incremental progress on Timex - it has assumed soap opera status and won a place in everyone's hearts. keep up the good work!
BX14TE St Tropez 1990 - now sold
Xsara Forte 1.4i 2000
Kawasaki GPz550A4 1987
Caffiend
Reluctant BXpert

Post by Caffiend »

I have been kicking myself since the NEC for not thinking sooner that we should have lifted some of Mike's text and numerous photos for a display on the stand - forget soap opera, this is a saga on a grand scale, loving the updates, thanks.
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe
1991 TZD hatch (Triton Green)
1992 Hurricane
citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

I did wonder about getting some mirrors to stick underneath after I've repaired the rear footwells to show the amount of floor replaced.
Mike Sims
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
XM Turbo SD,GS Club Estate,Visa 17D Leader,HY Pickup,Dyane Nomad,Dyane 6,2CV AZL,Falcon S,Trabant P50,3x Land Rovers (88" series 1,109" series 2a FFR,series 2a Marshall ambulance),DKW F7, Lambretta LD150 x 1.5,Mobylette SP93,Ural Cossack,Ural M63,CZ 250 Sport,Honda Varadero 125,lots of bicycles & tricycles including (but not only) Sunbeams,Higgins & Bates!
Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

Post by Defender110 »

/\ :rofl:
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.
citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

Nice little run out today - Dursley to Port Talbot, travelling at an indicated 80 on the speedo (70 actual) along the M5 & 4 to pick up a load of bike display stands, then back along the M4 at the same speed to the Bath turning before dropping down to Trowbridge to collect some roof mounted cycle carriers, followed by a stop in Yate to visit Dad on the homeward leg. 220 odd miles on just under 1/2 a tank :D . The radio is working fine now, but is really showing up how crap the speakers in the Mk2 door cards are. The GS would have been more comfortable, but would have cost a lot more to do the trip in.
Mike Sims
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

Been a while since I updated this, mainly because a load of entries along the lines of 'drove to work, drove home again, nothing broke would have been pretty boring!

Well, after my abortive attempt to get to the rolling road day, I changed the cam seal and belt today. Nothing much to report on the job, except the Haynes instructions to slide pulleys off are rubbish - I had to take a pry bar to both the crank and cam pulleys. When you pull the cam pulley, make sure it goes the right way round - there's a chamfer on the inner side of the central hole, and an arrow for direction of rotation on the outer face.

Also, I cannow say with certainty that the engine is not original - I found date stamps on the timing covers and the casting by the crank pulley (among others) that date from late 88 or early 89. So I now have to decide whether to continue with the current plan of fitting an early head, or look for a complete engine. I suspect that availability will have more to do with that answer!
Mike Sims
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

JayW has a brand new square port head.
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

Quick question for you all - any of you interested in my pulling apart my GS? If so, I'll add it to the Blog!
Mike Sims
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

Yes! I'd probably see it on Facebook too, but I find things easier to follow on blogs, where you can just scroll down for the story.

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

Post by Defender110 »

Yes please.
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.
citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

Well Timex had another good day out yesterday - the cruise up to the X rally was uneventful apart from a 20 mile detour due to a short stretch of road being closed. Managed to buy some engine bits and pieces from Andy while admiring his lovely Mk1 diesel auto, bought a handful of assorted switches and fasteners from Hilary and a load of LHM from Malcolm Lockwood. I also recieved a banner and a load of brouchure material for Bristol.

I'm glad to say that Timex was really in a minority, and not just because of it's rarity, there seem to be very few truly rough BX's out there, as many owners are now embarking on restoration as well as maintenance - it was great to see all those tidy cars out there that should be on the road for years to come.

On the way hame I had a slight unsheduled stop - I was about 40 miles from home when there were a couple of bangs from the back of the car, followed by a flapping sound. A quick check of the mirrors revealed a loose rear bumper on the passenger side so I pulled onto the hard shoulder to investigate. This investigation turned up a mounting tag on the bumper where it joins the plastic bracket that locates in the bodywork had almost completely torn off, so I grabbed on of the elastic luggage ties out the back to secure it. While attaching this under the car realised something else was missing - namely the back box! I looked back down the motorway just im time to see it being flicked into the grass by a passing vehicle, so I went back and retrieved it. Hopefully it didn't damage any other vehicles during it's bid for freedom, as no one else was pulled over while I was there!

So now I'm after a rear box - the one I aquired last year turns out to be the wrong one (TD one with a different joint), and a quick check on Ebay showed the same on sale, so I'll be stopping off at my local independant exhaust supplier tomorrow. In the meantime it's only a little louder, and seems to have more low end power!

I'll post a couple of pics when I work out how to get them off the camera!
Mike Sims
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

Is this the one you mean on eBay?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Exhaust-Rear- ... 0792685413" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I wondered whether it was just a generic photo they had for a BX exhaust...certainly I'll be needing one for the white one so had my eye on this. I'll buy your TD box off you if you want too?

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

citsncycles wrote: the cruise up to the X rally was uneventful apart from a 20 mile detour due to a short stretch of road being closed.
Did you follow the official diversion then? I just followed some locals and according to Google Nav it was just 2 miles longer!