Speedline Refurb?

Anything about BXs
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Speedline Refurb?

Post by Tim Leech »

Ive picked up a set of Graphite Speedlines of Jayboy for the 16TRZS, they are in tidy nick asides the usual corrosion on the silver rim which is quite bad.

A local polishers has quoted me £20 a piece just to polish the corroded silver rims up but wont guarantee how good they will, cost wise thats ok but I would ask if anyone on here has had a go at DIY on this with any good results.

I dont have £80 spare right now so looking to do it cheaper?
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
mds141
Over 2k

Re: Speedline Refurb?

Post by mds141 »

Tim, Paul refurbed his own wheels, but once he'd paid for several gallons of nitromors to remove the paint and bought sandpaper, fresh paint and lacquer it didn't work out much cheaper than getting them done professionally. Personally I'd save up and get them done at a refurb place.
Mark Smith

Is it just me or is everything shit?

1989 BX GTi 16 valve. Blanc Alpine. Completed the Citroen Classic Challenge Ecosse and 1337 miles without a hitch.
2000 XM VSX 2.1 td Auto. Rouge Magenta.
TGD saloon many years ago.

1990 Swift 'Corniche' 12/2 aka BXClub HQ.
Honda Firestorm. Gone, but not forgotten.
2015 Triumph Tiger Explorer XC.
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

I probably will Mark, but unlike the wheels Paul has done (well I may add) its just the silver lip thats tired, the rest of the wheels just needed a good clean.
Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

Post by Defender110 »

Tim use a P800 grade wet & dry followed by P1500 then grade 3 renovator to polish back. You can use a 3mm fine line masking tape to define the line.
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.
citronut
Over 2k

Post by citronut »

you will be very licky to get them looking half good if you try to do them on the cheap Tim

this company ( http://www.spitandpolish.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ) did Chris Salters GSA alloys they collect on the moday and drop them back on the Thursday all done

they charge £40 quid plus VAT each trade and they come back looking new,

and £48.75 plus VAT each trade including new valve fitting a tyre and balancing,

absolutely super dooper job

regards malcolm
Last edited by citronut on Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
H reg CX saffari 2.5 TRI (now gone to Malaysia)
R reg xantia 1.9TD est (gone to meet its maker)
citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

I've never done this, but my brother has refurbished period alloys for his VW's in the past. It took him quite a while, but the looked fantastic when done. The biggest issue he had though was getting decent lacquer adhesion, which lead to the corrosion creeping back in. He did get a set done professionally and although they looked no better than the ones he'd done himself, they stayed that way for longer.
Mike Sims
BX 19RD Estate Mk1 - Timex!
BX 4X4 Estate - Oh god, I've done it again!
BX 17RD MK1 - it called to me!
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
XM Turbo SD,GS Club Estate,Visa 17D Leader,HY Pickup,Dyane Nomad,Dyane 6,2CV AZL,Falcon S,Trabant P50,3x Land Rovers (88" series 1,109" series 2a FFR,series 2a Marshall ambulance),DKW F7, Lambretta LD150 x 1.5,Mobylette SP93,Ural Cossack,Ural M63,CZ 250 Sport,Honda Varadero 125,lots of bicycles & tricycles including (but not only) Sunbeams,Higgins & Bates!
Paul296
Over 2k
My Cars: Citroen BX 17 TZD Hurricane
Citroen BX 17 TGD

Post by Paul296 »

DIY jobs are a lot cheaper than a decent bodyshop job, but VERY labour intensive to do a comparable job. The alloys I'm about to fit to the TGD (when they're finished) will have cost about £150 incl. price of wheels (40quid) and sandblasting (40quid) plus 50 family size packs of elbow grease (free). To get a comparable job done professionally would have cost me more than twice that considering how bolloxed the wheels were in the first place and the black lines/centres have to be either hand painted or custom masked.

Just to do the rims you could do it yourself for 20 quid; file down the kerb dinks as far as you can without compromising the wheel, fill the rest with P38, mask off the rest of the wheel, etch prime, paint, 2pack lacquer (with a mask in the open air or you'll die of cyanide poisoning - not good) and polish; once it's all cured (and there'll be LOTS of sanding and finishing involved in that lot if you want a really pucker job). Bingo! If you want a hand Tim and want to save a few bob let me know.

Here's one of the speedlines I did. I should really have wet n' dry'd the paint back before lacquering for a better finish - I'll know next time!

citronut
Over 2k

Post by citronut »

as i said above this company ( http://www.spitandpolish.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; )

charge £40 quid plus VAT each rim trade

depends how much spare time you have i spoz

regards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
H reg CX saffari 2.5 TRI (now gone to Malaysia)
R reg xantia 1.9TD est (gone to meet its maker)
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

Spare time is something that is quite lacking, I actually bought 5 wheels of Justin, so may have a go at the "spare" myself and see how it comes off before I throw £80 at the other 4, I have refurbed wheels before (the GT ones), and did quite a reasonable job, but I was doing the whole wheel then, and had them shot blasted first, and then filled and used an orbital sander.
KevR
1K Away
My Cars: It's all in my signature

Post by KevR »

I'm about to do a set of notspeedlinesbuttheotheronesIcanneverrememberthenameof - not worried about getting a professional finish, so long as they look a bit less like they've been at the bottom of the canal for the past ten years. Looked into various sources of rattle cans for the wheel paint and the best deal was from http://www.beal.org.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - £2.90 a 400ml can or £29 for 12, which should be plenty for four wheels. Also got some satin black to redo the upper window surrounds etc.
1990 BX TZD Estate ('the grey one', 1991 BX TZD Estate ('the white one'), 1982 2CV6 Charleston (in bits), 1972 AZU Serie B (2CV van), 1974 HY72 Camper, 1990 Land Rover 110 diesel LWB, 1957 Mobylette AV76, 1992 Ducati 400SS, 1966 VW Beetle, 1990 Mazda MX-5, 1996 Peugeot 106D, 1974 JCB 2D MkII, 1997 BMW R1100RS, 1987 Suzuki GSX-R1100, 1978 Honda CX500A, 1965 Motobecane Cady, 1988 Honda Bros/Africa Twin, 1963 Massey Ferguson 825, and a lot of bicycles!
Paul296
Over 2k
My Cars: Citroen BX 17 TZD Hurricane
Citroen BX 17 TGD

Post by Paul296 »

Tim Leech wrote:Spare time is something that is quite lacking, I actually bought 5 wheels of Justin, so may have a go at the "spare" myself and see how it comes off before I throw £80 at the other 4, I have refurbed wheels before (the GT ones), and did quite a reasonable job, but I was doing the whole wheel then, and had them shot blasted first, and then filled and used an orbital sander.
Sounds like a plan - have a practice on the spare. As long as you take your time Tim it's not that difficult to get really good results.