WTD: Handbrake cable

Buy or sell parts etc. Please put 'Wanted' in the title if it is a request for parts.
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

WTD: Handbrake cable

Post by Dollywobbler »

I've just placed an order with AEP but only discovered after I'd placed the order that the TXD desperately needs a handbrake cable. I'm baffled as to how the wheel wasn't getting hot on the way home as the offside handbrake isn't really releasing at all! The cable is utterly borked.

So, anyone got a handbrake cable lying around? Don't mind second-hand as long as it's working. This may explain why there's some serious brake pad imbalance on that side...
mat_fenwick

Re: WTD: Handbrake cable

Post by mat_fenwick »

I might be wrong, but from this picture:

to me it looks like the caliper is not sliding properly, rather than the brake being held on. If the wear was due to the brake being applied then the piston side pad has to contact the disc first, before the caliper body side pad is brought into contact. But bringing the caliper body side pad away from the disc relies on free moving sliders. That said, if you've just placed the order I think you'll have missed AEP's cut off for today, so they should be able to add a cable to the order.

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Re: WTD: Handbrake cable

Post by Dollywobbler »

Actually, sod it. I'll just buy a new one. You're probably right about the sliders Mat. Might as well strip the caliper while I'm waiting for bits.