Mk1 Ignition barrel and steering lock - any bright sparks?

BX Tech talk
glastofari

Mk1 Ignition barrel and steering lock - any bright sparks?

Post by glastofari »

Okay, so I have acquired a mk1 bx but no keys..

Replacing the door locks is okay but the steering wheel is locked (my bad!)
I have disconnected it so I can tow it but that has left me with two problems....

1: - The ignition barrel, casing / bracket and steering wheel are all one unit at the moment. Best way to release the barrel? All I can see is to grind the casing off and re-weld. - (I've heard that there used to be a spate of fuel caps going missing, as the thieves took them and made keys to fit them... and the ignition! - Does this mean if I have a barrel I can get a key to fit it made? )

2: The bonnet catch is still attached to the casing... surely I don't have to unthread it from the bonnet catch all the way through the bulkhead to take it out?

Any suggestions?
Mothman

Re: Mk1 Ignition barrel and steering lock - any bright spark

Post by Mothman »

Ok,
its not so bad as you think. You can remove the ignition barrel, there have been many posts on this on the forum so a search should give you all the info you need.

Basically, remove all the plastic trunking, expose the steering column and use a screwdriver with a hammer to push down the small button sticking out on the column. Go in from the key side, not the top and the whole system will come out within a few minutes but remember to disconnect the battery first, you could set the vehicle afire otherwise. All you will then need is a new ignition unit.These are as scarce as rocking horse shit, especially for MK 1s. However, i may have a spare. Ile have a look tomorrow. I do have a new set but ime keeping that for my growing collection of MK 1s.

Andy
citronut
Over 2k

Post by citronut »

these can be removed with loads of PERCY WHAT SIT and a small chisel followed by a hammer, but be careful not to damage the tube the lock fits into,

or you could try drilling the center out of the barrel, then you can turn it to allow the locking button to be pressed to release the lock from the column,

you can also fit the MK1 switch to a MK2 lock if you cant find a good complete MK1 lock with the switch attached,

regards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
H reg CX saffari 2.5 TRI (now gone to Malaysia)
R reg xantia 1.9TD est (gone to meet its maker)
bigmaclf
Confirmed BX'er

Post by bigmaclf »

hi a autolocksmith keys cut to old door lock 8)
RxBX
Over 2k

Post by RxBX »

Mothman wrote:Ok,
its not so bad as you think. You can remove the ignition barrel, there have been many posts on this on the forum so a search should give you all the info you need.

Basically, remove all the plastic trunking, expose the steering column and use a screwdriver with a hammer to push down the small button sticking out on the column. Go in from the key side, not the top and the whole system will come out within a few minutes but remember to disconnect the battery first, you could set the vehicle afire otherwise. All you will then need is a new ignition unit.These are as scarce as rocking horse shit, especially for MK 1s. However, i may have a spare. Ile have a look tomorrow. I do have a new set but ime keeping that for my growing collection of MK 1s.

Andy
True Andy, if the search facility actually worked as it does not pick up 'KEY' words (which I can remember that I've made) :evil:

IIRC this search problem occurred ever since the 'New and improved version...' of the forum got powered by 'phpBB' they just seems to be a BIG gap of posts between 2008 era and early 2012 !

I've been meaning to have a word with 'Mat F' about this, as there is obviously something wrong !

I give you the example to find a post relating to this forum members problem !

Type in search facility barrel which will give you THESE results, and if you look at the info, theres a Posting by Mat Fenwick date/Posted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 7:24 pm and then the post above by Mike Holdstock date/Posted: Thu May 24, 2012 4:59 pm !

Theres approximately a FOUR year gap, this scenario I've noticed many many times when looking for old posts so I could help to link up old threads to new ones so as not to tread over old ground when members have helped out in the past (Especially technical type of info) which may also include photo's/PDF's/part numbers etc. !

So as I was looking for my input on an old thread by using the KEY word barrel and to be even more specific made by me (RxBX) which only came up with THIS

But as luck had it I can remember the forum members name which I made the posts in helping the forum member was indeed 'Mike Holdstock' (As already mentioned /\) so then the actual post I was looking for was then found by clicking on to 'Mikes' postings which I found on PAGE 3 of his posting/log which then led me to THIS POST which was posted back in August 2009 !
RxBX wrote:
Mike Holdstock wrote: Does anyone have experience of starting the engine after having busted the lock?
Hi Mike
Upon releasing the Lock/barrel you can then just see a small grub-screw at the lower edge of the lock/barrel before it connects to the 'Electrical Switch' part which is lower part of the barrel.
The little grub-screw can be seen just to the right of the persons thumb in this photo shot which also has the pins arrowed in red !

When the grub-crew is removed (Please be aware that the grub-screw has a very small 'Torx' head fitting ) you can split the upper lock/barrel from the lower part (the switch) and then you can just work the ignition switch to start the car as normal with the central spindle (Which is moulded in a white nylon/plastic) the main static part of the switch is moulded in a BLACK plastic as shown in the following photo shot (The top barrel lock is the BX one the lower looks like it is for a ZX as they have the shorter lock/plunger):-

BUT you MUST remember to return the switch centre spindle (the White bit) one notch back from the start position FAILURE to do this WILL cause the starter/solenoid to burn out and also could cause damage to the starter motor pinion and flywheel teeth and even possibly burn out part of the ignition wiring/loom.

Reason being for this is that return spring part to return the electrical switch one notch back is contained in the barrel/lock part which has now been disconnected !

So just remember to return the switch back one notch, just as you would normally if you where using a key and therefore you can get the car home or to a garage !

Also just a polite note, try to be gentle with the steering column outer barrel housing so as not to distort it or damage it in the area where the pin locates so as to eliminate possible difficulties when you come to fit a replacement barrel/lock.

Also please remember to disconnect the battery whilst you butchering out you old barrel/lock so as to eliminate the possibility of engaging the stater motor during this process, only reconnect when your ready to start the car so as to drive it away !

I hope this is of help to you.
So why has the search facility got the MAAASSSSSIVE gap in the search results by not picking out KEY words as the example barrel /\ :?

I hope Mr Fenwick can sort this problem out as I've been meaning to raise this problem with Mat a long while back now (But after a recent PM I received, I wasn't going to bother him) !
I've also spoke to Tim and Paul about the search facility problem but obviously nobody has raised/escalated the issue ?

So hopefully 'glastofari' the linked up info will be of help to you, as this will the last time I go to all this trouble to find old threads for folk (Unless of course the search facility is sorted out) :wink:

:lol:

Mothman

Post by Mothman »

Couldnt have said better myself, well done bud.

The search facility seems to be over enthusuiastic too putting up too much info so that the original request gets lost in all the key words.
Needs simplifying at least.

Andy
Mickey taker
Over 2k

Post by Mickey taker »

I know its a long shot but it might be worth going to a Citroen dealer with your V5 and see if they can get a key using the vin number
1991 BX Meteor 1.6

light travels faster than sound, thats why you look intelligent and then you spoil it all by opening your mouth !!!!!
citronut
Over 2k

Post by citronut »

Mickey taker wrote:I know its a long shot but it might be worth going to a Citroën dealer with your V5 and see if they can get a key using the vin number
thats all very well as long as you know its the same lock it left the factory with,

as you will have to pay the dealer even if the new key dont work

regards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
H reg CX saffari 2.5 TRI (now gone to Malaysia)
R reg xantia 1.9TD est (gone to meet its maker)
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

As already mentioned above, if you can get the barrel to a good auto locksmith (or call one out, but that will tend to cost more) they will be able to cut a new key to match it.

Regarding the searching problem, I'm currently re-indexing all the posts on the forum as there is indeed a gap in the search results; it's now indexed up to post number 106200 (the post above this one is number 201691). The process should finish today, fingers crossed.

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

All the posts have now been indexed, so if we use RxBx's example of searching for 'barrel', there is no longer the 4 year gap in search results.

The other comments about the search facility will hopefully be at least partly addressed here.

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
glastofari

Post by glastofari »

Wow, that is very studious of you all, I'm grateful for all the brilliant advice and thank you all for making the effort. I am currently trying to get another non Citroen back on the road atm so will attempt this operation in a week or so's time.
No V5 I'm afraid, it's under the SORN radar and that's how I'd like it to stay for as long as poss!
To be fair I will be doing this on the cheap. The main concern was getting the old ignition barrel out... I will let you know how I got on when I get on.
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

glastofari wrote: No V5 I'm afraid, it's under the SORN radar and that's how I'd like it to stay for as long as poss!
To be fair I will be doing this on the cheap.
Aren't you risking a fine though for not declaring change of ownership? if it comes somehow to the attention of a Jobsworth it will then cost you something rather than the nothing you have to pay on SORN.

OK, I can understand that sorting the V5 may be seen as unnecessary aggro at present ...............but as you would have to do it later anyway to put it on the road, surely now is the safer option?
1991 BX19GTi Auto
glastofari

Post by glastofari »

Well, if a jobsworth finds it I'd be impressed! The car wasn;t even declared under the last owner back when she was taken off the road but... I will consider sorting it out as soon as she is moved for her inspection..was hoping that would be in the next few weeks however more cars have now conspired to block her in. :( it's still a question of will she be saved or scrapped before the paper trail starts though.