bits needed

Buy or sell parts etc. Please put 'Wanted' in the title if it is a request for parts.
jim

bits needed

Post by jim »

I think i need the following parts.

1) The nest of rubber pipes that run from the lhm reservoir. UNLESS there is some compound that can be used to repair a small split in one of the larger rubber pipes running to the regulator area.
lhm seems soften/dissolve most conventional rubber repair compounds.

I made a temporary repair by wrapping heat shrink tubing around the split and tying it up with cable ties, it seems to work for now, mostly, and the car passed its mot.

2) The crossways link that connects one of the gear change rods into the engine. The nylon ball joint seems to have disapeared/worn away. Again temporary fix done using cable ties.

3) I believe a kit is available for renewing the timing belt pulley bearings, and the water pump.
Where can I get one?
Can this job be done with the engine in situ, or must it come out of the car?
I replaced the timing belt some years ago, on a hot summers day. I was utterly exhausted at the end of it all. I recall access to the belt tensioner was very difficult, although not impossible. There is only a couple of inches or so clearance between the side of the car body and the engine.

Thanks, Jim.
Regards Jim
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Re: bits needed

Post by Dollywobbler »

I got my timing belt kit from Malcolm Lockwood. Ordered the water pump on Ebay I think.

It can be done in-situ, but as you recall, access is very tight! With the top mount undone, you can at least use a jack to alter the position of the engine in the bay to improve access, but it's still not a joyous job.
rutter123
Over 2k
My Cars: 90 Bx Tzd turbo ven red 295k
74 D Super 5 black
05 Volvo V50 2.0d 180k
65 Peugeot Boxer work van 280k

Post by rutter123 »

yes not a pleasant job but certainly do-able, i got a quality belt kit with tensioners from GSF about £100 prob best to change water pump at same time, removing the top engine mount will allow a little more room, i also put a block of wood between engine and bulkhead to move it forward a bit more, be careful of the radiator tho, a short 3/8 extension bar and ratchet will help to hold the tensioner, when timing up u will need to fit the belt on cam then the fuel pump then the bottom pulley with no slack, u may need to slightly turn the fuel pump pulley to take out the slack, some 8mm thread bolts will be needed 2 on the cam 2 on the pump and also u will need to lock the flywheel thru the hole under the starter motor behind the flywheel, i use a drill bit for this think 7mm, be prepared for some cursing and grazed knuckles. a flywheel locking tool for PSA diesel engines is available and a very useful bit of kit for a few quid it bolts to the bell housing and makes undoing the bottom pulley a lot easier u will have to remove the bottom inspection cover to fit it, turn engine over slowly by hand once its all fitted 2 full revolutions and re check belt tension before starting up, first time i did mine it was a tooth out it did run but very clattery and no damage caused, check check and triple check your timing is correct, allow a couple of hours for this job good luck.
90 BX Tzd turbo 294k SORN undergoing major surgery
90 BX Tzd turbo estate 46k awaiting surgery
65 Peugeot Boxer Van the new workhorse
52 Toyota Rav4 180k Bulletproof Jap reliability
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Changing the water pump is actually quite easy. If you're doing the job in your garage, do drain the coolant before you drive the car in to save a lot of mess! I didn't want to run the engine very long at all with no coolant in it, so I ran the car to get it on full height with the bottom hose clip already loose, then engine off, hose off, lots of water over the driveway, then drive into garage.
Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

Post by Defender110 »

rutter123 wrote: allow a couple of hours for this job good luck.
Or 6 hours if you do everything slowly and methodically cleaning every component as you go along.
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.