Glo plug relay part no.(or anyone got one for cash?)

BX Tech talk
mike st gilles
BXpert

Glo plug relay part no.(or anyone got one for cash?)

Post by mike st gilles »

My blue TZD estate still won't start (without the dreaded eezi start ) despite new gloplugs......think its the relay....it doesn't time in or out like it used to......no dimming of interior lights etc when ign turned on.
I've been down to my local Citroen dealer and he doesn't know the part no, but will order me a new relay but it might not be the right one!!!!!!
Don't mind paying for it but not going to pay for the wrong thing.
Any ideas as to the correct number or does anyone have one .......in working order obviously, for beer tokens?
Merry Christmas to all.
Mike
Garlic Bread 'its the future'.
90 BX TZD Auto lives in France. 93 BX TXD Estate having had Ken Newbolds magic wand waved over it. 98' Honda Deauville NTV650.. '86 Fiat Ducato Swift Kontiki Camper
sdelasal
BXpert

Re: Glo plug relay part no.(or anyone got one for cash?)

Post by sdelasal »

Nike - i don't have a spare - but ebay is good for stuff like this - for example, see item 150963120732 - looks the right colour at least! You can search for news ones to see if this item, from a CITROEN DISPATCH, is the same as yours. Steve
hilarystone
BXpert
My Cars: Citroen BX 16V, BX Van 16V, Visa GTI, CX Ambulance Turbo diesel, Xsara VTS Phase 1 and 2, Lotus Elan 1970, Clan Crusader, C8 2l petrol, 1982 GSA Pallas, 1974 GS Birotor

Post by hilarystone »

You can see if it is the relay by running a small jump lead from the live terminal of the battery to one of the glow plug terminals which will feed all the glow plugs, wait for five or ten seconds and try starting the engine. As soon as it starts remove the jump lead from the live battery terminal. If it starts this way, yes its the relay. The relays used on most older Citroens and Peugeots are interchangeable though they may look different externally.
Hilary Stone

http://www.Hilarystone.com
Period bikes, frames and parts

1985 Citroen CX Ambulance, 1989 Citroen BX 16V, 1987 Citroen Visa GTI, 2008 Citroen C8 2l petrol, Citroen BX Van 16V, Clan Crusader, 1970 Lotus Elan, Citroen Xsaras VTS phase1 and Phase 2, Citroen GSA, GS Birotor
citronut
Over 2k

Post by citronut »

here is price and part No. for the BX timer box

Part Number Description Quantity Price excl. VAT Price incl. VAT Total incl. VAT Selection
0000598115 GLOW PLUG PRE-HEATING BOX 126.40 GBP 151.68 GBP 151.68 GBP

but before you go ordering one put a test light/volt meter across the feed to the glow plugs just to be sure its not powering up,

if not then check there is power getting to the box when the ignition is switched on

were in Kent are you located

regards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
H reg CX saffari 2.5 TRI (now gone to Malaysia)
R reg xantia 1.9TD est (gone to meet its maker)
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

what colour is your current relay? there are two types, blue with rounded edges or the newer black with square edges. the black ones have run on timers and better temp sensing, but they also have a different wiring connection normally.
mike st gilles
BXpert

Post by mike st gilles »

Thanks for all the replies.....when the weather gets a bit better .......probably May the ways its going :D I'll try the live to the glo plug and see whats happening.... hopefully before then and then source another (probably not from Citroen at that price!) thanks for the info Malcolm I'm in Hawkinge nr Folkestone.
As soon as it stops persisitently raining I'm out there....thanks again.
Mike
90 BX TZD Auto lives in France. 93 BX TXD Estate having had Ken Newbolds magic wand waved over it. 98' Honda Deauville NTV650.. '86 Fiat Ducato Swift Kontiki Camper
mike st gilles
BXpert

Post by mike st gilles »

just to pick this up again....I have tried the direct approach (wire direct to gloplug) and that had no effect......this did occur quite suddenly with no apparrent warning in that I didn't use the car for a few weeks...... went to use it again to find that it wouldn't start. In the past it has always started and more to the point when the ign switch was to the on position the interior lights dimmed and then brightened when the warning light for the gloplugs went off to show that the drain on the battery had lessened........this is not happening now and as in a previous post Malcolm said to check that the relay was getting power....where would I check that from and how would I replace that (relay) I imagine...is it in the fusebox with the turn signal one etc and if so could someone highlight it for me as I don't ming buying a new one if it will solve the problem...as I said it was always a good starter and then literally stopped in a matter of weeks without any deterioration or whatever.
thanks for all the help so far. :D
Mike
citronut
Over 2k

Post by citronut »

i have seen on a pug 306 TD were all 4 glow plugs had died, the customer told me she had only had a set fitted a couple of months before hand,

turned out the glow plug relay/timer had failed internaly, it was a black one which was electronic, not like the blue ones being electro mechanical,

if you fed 12V direct to the gl;ow plug link cable and she still didnt fire up i'd say you have dead glow plugs,

the glow plug relay is the timer box

did you say were in Kent you are located

regards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
mike st gilles
BXpert

Post by mike st gilles »

Hi Malcolm,
Yes I'm in Hawkinge nr Folkestone. Tbh I'm not really certain of that 12v to the gloplug so will try that again.......it just seemed to be so sudden the extreme failure of all the plugs......I do have the blue relay on the inner wing just wondered where that got its supply from......going to have a good look later and try a new feed to the plugs.
Mike
citronut
Over 2k

Post by citronut »

im originally from Folkestone my Dad owned Prima pottery on the Old High street next to Andy Amoss's rock shop,

i have an X sister in law lives Densole a couple of doors along from the garage

mind you use a heavy cable to feed a temporary live directly to the glow plugs as they draw a lot of current, and will melt a to thinner cable/wire,

also always connect the battery end first as you dont want spaks/flashing near the battery,

regards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
mike st gilles
BXpert

Post by mike st gilles »

Well, thanks to all here for advice etc....especially Malcolm. I finally replaced two of the plugs over the weekend and after waiting the appropriate time she burst into life: a bit lumpy for a few secs but then settled down. I just wanted to check that it was the plugs and reasoned that two should get the bugger started..... and I was right..........only trouble is now that the other two plugs look almost impossible to do without removing major bits of car! Is there a cheat?
As you can probably tell by the above I've renewed the two furthest right when viewing the engine from the front; ie. standing in front of it and looking back.....the two that are to be done are the ones behind the injection pump and just adjacent to it.
Any ideas...........or is it 'just get on with it' ?
Thanks again for the advice....she lives again w/o any artificial starting aids.
Mike