Still Wanted: BX Diesel Estate

Buy or sell parts etc. Please put 'Wanted' in the title if it is a request for parts.
Stuarted
Confirmed BX'er

Still Wanted: BX Diesel Estate

Post by Stuarted »

Yeah, I'm still looking! Turbo or non-turbo.

(Previous thread = http://www.bxclub.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=17324)

Good money (cash) paid for a good one, but willing to consider a tatty-looking one if sound mechanically.

Alternatively willing to consider one which needs mechanical work if it's just one problem, but not loads of never-ending fiddly problems.

Might even be willing to consider non-runner but only if it's near to Hereford (Welsh borders - HR postcode)

Hurry up before I go and buy a Skoda Octavia 4WD diesel estate!
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Re: Still Wanted: BX Diesel Estate

Post by Dollywobbler »

Shame you weren't here a few days ago, when a chap was desperately trying to flog a £300 TZD estate with fresh MOT!
Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

Post by Defender110 »

There was a nice white one too which I think is still for sale?

EDIT: may have sold last week; http://www.bxclub.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=17418
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Yup. The white one has gone too. And I've sold my stripey estate. It's been busy!
Stuarted
Confirmed BX'er

Post by Stuarted »

Thanks guys!

Yeah, I know, be off line for a short while and suitable cars pop up everywhere - get back on line and they all disappear! Bother ...

Let's hope one or two more come along soon, before I find myself having to buy something else
vulgalour
BXpert
My Cars: 1980 Austin Princess 1.7 HL
1987 Citroen BX 17RD

Post by vulgalour »

Another one has popped up tonight over on Autoshite: http://autoshite.com/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=15992" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Not available proper until the end of March, but might be worth giving him a nudge?
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Aye. Junkman has been on this forum if you need to contact him. Looks good for the money. Cosmetically challenged perhaps, but good.
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Post by Kitch »

What do you intend to do with whatever Estate you end up with, if it was a project fixxer-upper? Restoration?
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)
Stuarted
Confirmed BX'er

Post by Stuarted »

Kitch wrote:What do you intend to do with whatever Estate you end up with, if it was a project fixxer-upper? Restoration?
Same as the last two BX diesel estates I had - use it as economical, practical, comfortable, versatile, commodious, everyday transport and tow car. I have a red MkIII Mazda MX-5 sports car for when I want to drive a flamboyant, fun, exciting, status symbol / granny magnet, and which ticks all the boxes which the BX does not. The two cars make a perfect combination.

I am not a particular fan of Citroens generally but the BX they got right - it is a classic. It has a modern diesel engine and no electronics whatsoever - perfect. I have considered more modern cars, but hardly any offer 50+ mpg all the time regardless of load or driving style combined with a load bay long enough to sleep in. That is in addiion to a 1/2 tonne official load capaicty, 100+ mph anywhere I want and glorious smooth air / hydraulic suspension.

There is only me driving and it only makes sense to run two cars if one of them is a shed. This is just as well since I suspect that there are relatively few BXs still around, and I can't therefore afford to be fussy about the condition or hope to find an immacculate low-mileage one. It will be a workhorse, not a toy or a status symbol, so I don't care much about the appearance and in fact it would almost be a shame to acquire a beautifully-restored, cosmetically unblemished one only to let it get knocked about.

It just needs to be reliable. I do not want a hobby or a restoration project. I just want wheels. I am an old git and I have lost interest in grovelling around under rusty old cars. I take my BXs to a workshop where there is an excellent (but not cheap) mechanic who knows BXs inside out and who is an expert in maintaining and repairing them - he has had three of them himself. Any repair work will be done by him, so if the only BX I can find is a faulty one I want one which perhaps has one or two major but straightforward faults rather than one with lots of niggly little issues which will take forever (if ever) to fix and cost a fortune in labour.

Er - does that answer your question?
Paul296
Over 2k
My Cars: Citroen BX 17 TZD Hurricane
Citroen BX 17 TGD

Post by Paul296 »

Stuarted wrote:
Kitch wrote:What do you intend to do with whatever Estate you end up with, if it was a project fixxer-upper? Restoration?
Same as the last two BX diesel estates . . . (and so on and so forth) . . . and cost a fortune in labour.

^ Good answer! 8)
Stuarted
Confirmed BX'er

Post by Stuarted »

Paul296 wrote:
Stuarted wrote: . . . and cost a fortune in labour.
^ Good answer! 8)
Indeed. But still cheaper than the depreciation on a fairly new car - which might also have big breakdown costs (engine / gearbox / various electronic black boxes. Especialy electronic black boxes. Very expensive electronic black boxes.)

My last BX cost me £500 with 100,000 on the clock eight years ago. Had done 180,000 and was still sound when the floods got it. I had spent many hundreds of pounds on various repairs over the years, but still miles cheaper than buying and running a newer car - I've done the sums.

The only way of being fairly sure of avoiding big repair bills is to buy an almost new car, but that costs a lot of money. That would make no sense for me; with only me driving, it would be extravigant to run two good cars. It only makes sense if one of them is a shed.
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Post by Kitch »

Indeed a good answer and you're right!
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)
Stuarted
Confirmed BX'er

Post by Stuarted »

To vulgalour and/or Dollywobbler: thanks guys. I am interested - looks like the kind of thing I am seeking.

Have visited Autoshite (subtle name, that, and I like their attitude!) but am having difficulty joining / logging on / posting.

Ideally, I would like to be able to PM Junkman or even telephone him. Any suggestions as to how I could best go about contacting him please?
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Junkman is signed up here as well. Autoshite's management is a bit, er, lax! http://www.bxclub.co.uk/forum/memberlis ... ile&u=3228" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Caffiend
Reluctant BXpert

Post by Caffiend »

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe
1991 TZD hatch (Triton Green)
1992 Hurricane