rutter123
Over 2k
My Cars: 90 Bx Tzd turbo ven red 295k
74 D Super 5 black
05 Volvo V50 2.0d 180k
65 Peugeot Boxer work van 280k

rust glorious rust-the saga continues badly

Post by rutter123 »

my tzdt seems to have some serious rust issues around the tailgate (hatchback) on the n/s, its on the sloping pillar on the rear quarter that the gas strut attaches to, a few paint bubbles have turned into holes along the channel and down to the rear light panel which is also quite rusty, it seems that in the past water ingress has caused damage to this area, after wire brushing these areas i have been left with rust holes along the seam where the rear panel (the one that hides under the rear bumper) meets the rear light mounting panel, and also at the top of the rear light panel, and looking inside the wheelarch there is nothing left of the metal panel that covers this area, also the rear bumper support strut that goes from the boot floor side to the outer arch has completely rusted away, has anyone else had rust in these areas? will try to post some pics.
90 BX Tzd turbo 294k SORN undergoing major surgery
90 BX Tzd turbo estate 46k awaiting surgery
65 Peugeot Boxer Van the new workhorse
52 Toyota Rav4 180k Bulletproof Jap reliability
vulgalour
BXpert
My Cars: 1980 Austin Princess 1.7 HL
1987 Citroen BX 17RD

Re: rust glorious rust-the saga continues badly

Post by vulgalour »

I reckon the outer arch to boot floor support strut is what's rotted out on Stripey, meaning you can move the wing behind the bumper. There was a picture somewhere of someone's BX that had this bit welded back in, but I can't remember whose car it was, didn't look too complicated a repair.
rutter123
Over 2k
74 D Super 5 black
05 Volvo V50 2.0d 180k

Post by rutter123 »

vulgalour wrote:I reckon the outer arch to boot floor support strut is what's rotted out on Stripey, meaning you can move the wing behind the bumper. There was a picture somewhere of someone's BX that had this bit welded back in, but I can't remember whose car it was, didn't look too complicated a repair.
i will repair it but just wondered if this was an issue with anyone else?
vulgalour
BXpert
My Cars: 1980 Austin Princess 1.7 HL
1987 Citroen BX 17RD

Post by vulgalour »

I'm wondering if it's related to the exhaust. The offside on Stripey is in pretty good shape, but the nearside is pretty bad and it's not the first estate I've seen that's got the same sort of pattern of corrosion. There seems to be a lot more muck kick up on that side too, so perhaps there's something going on under the car that causes this?
rutter123
Over 2k
74 D Super 5 black
05 Volvo V50 2.0d 180k

Post by rutter123 »

vulgalour wrote:I'm wondering if it's related to the exhaust. The offside on Stripey is in pretty good shape, but the nearside is pretty bad and it's not the first estate I've seen that's got the same sort of pattern of corrosion. There seems to be a lot more muck kick up on that side too, so perhaps there's something going on under the car that causes this?
yes im sure with that strut support missing that a lot more crap has been thrown up into that area, will consider making a splash guard out of some old front plastic splash guards after fitting a new fabricated strut support.
citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

I've not come across the rust in the rear pillar before, but rot in the rear panel and light surround on hatchbacks do seem quite common, usually accompanied by rust in the rear of the boot floor and in severe cases the inner wings too.

The bumper supports in the rear arches are a common problem - they'd completely disappeared on the 14 I had. Mat Fenwick has replaced these on his estate in the last few weeks, using some heavy bar that should outlast the surrounding metalwork.

It's a slightly different structure on the estates, but I also had the structure under the rear lights go quite badly on mine - have a look on the 'Timex' blog for pics.

The rear hangar for the exhaust is known for breaking away from the inner wing, but before it does that the cracking it causes first can lead to rot in the inner wing.

I'd be interested to see the pics when you get them sorted.
Mike Sims
BX 19RD Estate Mk1 - Timex!
BX 4X4 Estate - Oh god, I've done it again!
BX 17RD MK1 - it called to me!
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
XM Turbo SD,GS Club Estate,Visa 17D Leader,HY Pickup,Dyane Nomad,Dyane 6,2CV AZL,Falcon S,Trabant P50,3x Land Rovers (88" series 1,109" series 2a FFR,series 2a Marshall ambulance),DKW F7, Lambretta LD150 x 1.5,Mobylette SP93,Ural Cossack,Ural M63,CZ 250 Sport,Honda Varadero 125,lots of bicycles & tricycles including (but not only) Sunbeams,Higgins & Bates!