I NEED CHIPS

BX Tech talk
djoptix
BXpert

I NEED CHIPS

Post by djoptix »

A long time ago we had much discussion on the old, old 16v forum about a chip that was selling cheap on ebay (about £20 iirc) for 16vs/Mi16s. It didn't do anything apart from raise the rev limit to 7200, which is what I want. Anyone remember this chip, or know where I can get one? Or have one that I can buy?

Gratuitous chip picture:

nom nom nom
Good heavens! My signature's been moderated...
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Re: I NEED CHIPS

Post by Kitch »

Having had one of these chips (still have it in the glovebox) and having tested it on a rolling road against a standard one, I'd go for the standard one (unless you like the idea of detonation!)

Why do you need to increase the rev limiter? Cams?
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

Seem to recall that it was the 'PUGSPORT' one that had been floating around for some time.

Search for the BoschDME group on yahoo and there is some pretty exacting detail on how to find and change the rev limiter in 354 rom (M1.3)
djoptix
BXpert

Post by djoptix »

Kitch wrote:Having had one of these chips (still have it in the glovebox) and having tested it on a rolling road against a standard one, I'd go for the standard one (unless you like the idea of detonation!)

I just liked the idea of being able to make 60 in 2nd, I dare say I don't actually need it. If you've tried it and aren't sure about it, I'll stick with standard :)
Good heavens! My signature's been moderated...
RobC
BXpert
My Cars: 1991 Citroen BX 16v

Post by RobC »

Apparently my valver has got fancy cams and has 'been chipped'. I think I'd rather the latter wasn't the case, but it will be interesting to see on Saturday what it's putting out. If it turns out I do have a chip that raises the rev limit, I'm happy in principle to swop for a standard one...
1991 Citroen BX 16v
Kitch
Over 2k

Post by Kitch »

djoptix wrote:
Kitch wrote:Having had one of these chips (still have it in the glovebox) and having tested it on a rolling road against a standard one, I'd go for the standard one (unless you like the idea of detonation!)

I just liked the idea of being able to make 60 in 2nd, I dare say I don't actually need it. If you've tried it and aren't sure about it, I'll stick with standard :)
My old chip raised it to 7800rpm, but they only make peak power at around 6600rpm so revving it any higher is usually pointless, even on hills.
Main reason I ditched mine was that at WOT at around 3000rpm it was running 17-18AFR! Had it in there for years.....always wondered why it used to pink! Just assumed it was because I was running it on 95RON rather than super (they're designed for 4-star afterall) but turns out it was the chip.

I was pretty lucky nothing melted. Mind you, it could still have weakened everything - it might drop a valve on the MOT ramp in a minute! :lol:

ghaddon1701
BXpert

Post by ghaddon1701 »

I thought the rev limiter cut in a 7200rpm on the 16v anyway? The 8v pulls 60mph in second at 6000rpm(very rarely I might add). I assumed the 16v would be higher geared not lower than an 8v.
Kitch
Over 2k

Post by Kitch »

ghaddon1701 wrote:I thought the rev limiter cut in a 7200rpm on the 16v anyway? The 8v pulls 60mph in second at 6000rpm(very rarely I might add). I assumed the 16v would be higher geared not lower than an 8v.
Lower overall gearing on a 16v. It's a sprinter where the GTi is more of a cruiser.

frog
BXpert

Post by frog »

http://www.taylor-eng.com/ecu/motronic_intro.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I have one of these to compliment the newer engine with his stage 1 intake cam, I'm just saving up for a haltech though.
1989 Citroën BX 16v
1993 Citroën BX 16v project
Mike E (uk)
1K Away

Post by Mike E (uk) »

I think I remember sending the data from a BBR starchip to Vanny many years ago, or it may have been the programmed PROM.

I tried a BX16V superchip on a dyno, and it only appeared to raise the rev limit. Don't know what it did to the mixture. The Superchip has some electronics on a PCB around it, presumably to discourage copying.

I think the Superchip could improve the 0-60 time slightly by avoiding the gear change, but in the real world would make no difference. Except at the very top end, the superchip was worse than the standard device.

The BBR chip was just the PROM, so can be duplicated. This is what I have in the car at the moment, and gave a small improvement in power & torque over the standard program when measured on the dyno.

Better power improvement can be had by fitting new spark plugs.
la BX 16 soupapes: sachez apprecier avec moderation.

It might be clever now, but it won't be in the morning!