Orga number and Vin question

BX Tech talk
michaelr
Confirmed BX'er

Orga number and Vin question

Post by michaelr »

I wonder if anyone here can point me in the right direction?

My recently acquired BX 19TRI (built 2/89) has a Vin number on the build plate, Australian compliance plate, the registration papers and also engraved on the RHS inner guard. All agree. However when I have given this Vin number to a parts dealer and a local Citroen expert I am told that the Vin has too few characters. What do you think?

Vin: VF7XBEY0000EY0638

I have an additional problem in that I can not find the ORGA number, which I believe should be on the LHS A pillar.

Michael, Sydney, Australia

BX19TRI Automatic
DS23 Pallas
Way2go
Over 2k

Re: Orga number and Vin question

Post by Way2go »

Not sure of the answer on the VIN number but re ORGA I see you have the month and year stamped on the plate. If you go to the ORGA calculator tool you can construct an ORGA number for yourself by using the tool in reverse. The only thing to beware of is if there was a model specification change during that month, in which case you will have to ascertain the break point of that change and choose your number accordingly.

I presume that you are encountering a "jobsworth" when you are quoting your build date?
1991 BX19GTi Auto
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

That looks like a valid VIN for a BX, it has the same format and number of digits as my own, but the Citroen Dealer is quite correct, if you put it into the system it comes back as 'Vehicle unknown'.

There really isn't a reason to know the VIN though, there are not enough variants on the BX to make tracking the correct part difficult. You could try borrowing someone elses VIN that is a close match?
mds141
Over 2k

Post by mds141 »

I have the same problem with the valver. Main dealer Citroen service parts system throughs up invalid VIN.
Local motor factors have no trouble obtaining parts just using the registration number.
Mark Smith

Is it just me or is everything shit?

1989 BX GTi 16 valve. Blanc Alpine. Completed the Citroen Classic Challenge Ecosse and 1337 miles without a hitch.
2000 XM VSX 2.1 td Auto. Rouge Magenta.
TGD saloon many years ago.

1990 Swift 'Corniche' 12/2 aka BXClub HQ.
Honda Firestorm. Gone, but not forgotten.
2015 Triumph Tiger Explorer XC.
citronut
Over 2k

Post by citronut »

mds141 wrote:I have the same problem with the valver. Main dealer Citroen service parts system throughs up invalid VIN.
Local motor factors have no trouble obtaining parts just using the registration number.
it could be becaues citroen are deleting a lot of BX related items from there data base, or at least thats what it looks like,

in the last year or so every BX chassis/VIN No. i have attempted to enter into service citroen has come back as unknown VIN

regards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
H reg CX saffari 2.5 TRI (now gone to Malaysia)
R reg xantia 1.9TD est (gone to meet its maker)
michaelr
Confirmed BX'er

Post by michaelr »

Thanks to all for your input. I guess as you say, it is not important and I can deduce a range of ORGA possibilities give the build date (4436 to 4467) .It seems the major revisions, at least as far as the 1.9 motor goes, was at 5545.

By the way, in Australia the number plate is not "tied for life" to the vehicle and in NSW at least the general public have no access to the registration data base.
Michael, Sydney, Australia

BX19TRI Automatic
DS23 Pallas
citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

I had a slightly different response to Timex when I was in the dealer last a couple of weeks back - they typed in the registration and it pulled up the VIN and model details on their main database, but refused to search by them.
Mike Sims
BX 19RD Estate Mk1 - Timex!
BX 4X4 Estate - Oh god, I've done it again!
BX 17RD MK1 - it called to me!
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
XM Turbo SD,GS Club Estate,Visa 17D Leader,HY Pickup,Dyane Nomad,Dyane 6,2CV AZL,Falcon S,Trabant P50,3x Land Rovers (88" series 1,109" series 2a FFR,series 2a Marshall ambulance),DKW F7, Lambretta LD150 x 1.5,Mobylette SP93,Ural Cossack,Ural M63,CZ 250 Sport,Honda Varadero 125,lots of bicycles & tricycles including (but not only) Sunbeams,Higgins & Bates!
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

"The computer, it say No!" :evil:

Never mind about interactive computers, why is it so difficult to find interactive people these days? :?:
1991 BX19GTi Auto
citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

To be fair, the guy in the parts department was quite helpful, and at least recognised his lack of knoweledge and was willing to let me guide him through the exploded diagrams etc. on the computer until we found the bits I was looking for, even if they usually end up being NFP!
Mike Sims
BX 19RD Estate Mk1 - Timex!
BX 4X4 Estate - Oh god, I've done it again!
BX 17RD MK1 - it called to me!
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
XM Turbo SD,GS Club Estate,Visa 17D Leader,HY Pickup,Dyane Nomad,Dyane 6,2CV AZL,Falcon S,Trabant P50,3x Land Rovers (88" series 1,109" series 2a FFR,series 2a Marshall ambulance),DKW F7, Lambretta LD150 x 1.5,Mobylette SP93,Ural Cossack,Ural M63,CZ 250 Sport,Honda Varadero 125,lots of bicycles & tricycles including (but not only) Sunbeams,Higgins & Bates!