A Request for Help

BX Tech talk
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

A Request for Help

Post by Tim Leech »

You may have read that I have recently bought a early Mk2 19TRS which has laid unused for 14 years, and that although the car overall is in great condition and the mechanics are good it has popped a main rear feed pipe leaving its stranded in Tom's garage.

Any ideas or assistance in getting it mobile would be much appreciated and of course payment will be given.
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
citsncycles
Over 2k

Re: A Request for Help

Post by citsncycles »

Really depends on exactly which pipe has died.

If you're considering transporting it onwards & it's to one of the rear corners, you could either remove the pipe and fit a blank or even crimp over the end of the pipe with self grips - this will at least get it mobile enough to load. If it's the main feed to the suspension then jacking and blocking is the only option.

As the preferred option is probably getting it to a state where it can be driven home, then some exploratory work is needed. Assuming I get the work done on Timex this week and depending on Tom's availability, I could possibly go down at some point in the next week and jack it up to have a look at which pipe has gone, then at least you know where to go from there. Best case, I could then remove the offending pipe in order to obtain a replacement, worst case, it'll need the sub frame dropping to get at front to rear pipes, in which case you may consider getting a load of pipes changed. I suspect that unless whichever pipe has gone has been chafing you may find that all the pipes will need changing in the near future.
Mike Sims
BX 19RD Estate Mk1 - Timex!
BX 4X4 Estate - Oh god, I've done it again!
BX 17RD MK1 - it called to me!
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
XM Turbo SD,GS Club Estate,Visa 17D Leader,HY Pickup,Dyane Nomad,Dyane 6,2CV AZL,Falcon S,Trabant P50,3x Land Rovers (88" series 1,109" series 2a FFR,series 2a Marshall ambulance),DKW F7, Lambretta LD150 x 1.5,Mobylette SP93,Ural Cossack,Ural M63,CZ 250 Sport,Honda Varadero 125,lots of bicycles & tricycles including (but not only) Sunbeams,Higgins & Bates!
bx petrol auto saloon
BXpert
My Cars: Citroens SAABs and Vauxhalls

Post by bx petrol auto saloon »

Dear Tim,
I know it,s not fun, but what I would do Tim I would be to run a " new pipe " under-
neath in a temporary position, maybe along side the old one and just cable-tie it to it.
Vince, :wink:
Passion Hydropneumatic Citroen,s

Cars;- 1993 White Citroen BX 1.6 TXi petrol
saloon auto with air-con & ABS.
47,594 Miles from new.
Owned for 3 years sorned.
1988 Silver SAAB 900i 2.0 8v F/lift,
saloon 5sp with 3 spoke Ronals,
69,000 Miles from new.
Owned for 15 years T & T.
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

Mike if you could that would be awesome, I have the Sunday and Monday off 24-25th so can come down with tools, new radiator and spheres for me to fit and can always lend a hand sorting the pipe.
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....