Ignition barrel and key needed

Buy or sell parts etc. Please put 'Wanted' in the title if it is a request for parts.
electrokid
1K Away

Ignition barrel and key needed

Post by electrokid »

or some advice as to how I can get the bloomin' key into it. I've tried flaked graphite and WD40 and poking the orifice with spikey things but there's something in the way that won't budge :(
1992 BX19 TGD estate 228K Rusty - SORNed
2002 C5 HDi SX estate
CGATCX25GTITURBO
BXpert

Re: Ignition barrel and key needed

Post by CGATCX25GTITURBO »

goosed, drill time
missing my 1992 BX19TGD
1987 BX19 GTI 8)
CX25 GTI TURBO CGAT 86 CGAT :twisted:
19TD temp 2 Xantia estate :)
600 Bandit 97 :)
ZX12R 00 :evil:
RxBX
Over 2k

Post by RxBX »

CGATCX25GTITURBO wrote:goosed, drill time
..that_ seconded :cry:

Click on the photo below for the thread to help you out with what it entails to remove the old ignition lock/barrel :(

I have a good used ignition lock/barrel if you need one, send me a PM if I can be of help ?

Good luck with the extraction of the current one !

:)

Brian
BXpert

Post by Brian »

If you can remove the lock without too much damage, dismantle and remove all the tumblers and re assemble.

But beware, any key will work then.

It's one or two tumblers that wear, and move sideways, so stopping the key.

I have done this as a temporary method, till a suitable replacement can be found.

Good luck.
Visa 17D 1986 192K Sorn
BX 17RD 1986 220K Scrapped 2013 - Too much rust.
BX 17TZD 1992 192K
306 XRDT 1996 175K
Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

Post by Defender110 »

/\ Agreed, I've done this as a temporary permanent repair on past vehicles of mine and would do it again, It works a treat and makes the ignition switch smoother and what are the chances of a prospective car theif knowing your car will start with any key.
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.
electrokid
1K Away

Post by electrokid »

Many thanks guys :D and particular thanks to Richard / RxBX for the offer of his good condition secondhand one, and the link to a NOS one on eBay which I've now bought :D and for the link to the very useful 'how to remove' thread =D>

Well at least I know the existing barrel is definitely toast so I can be a bit more brutal with it to get something temporary working. The thread mentions hammer, screwdriver, debris :lol: At least security shouldn't be a problem - most of the people who would want to nick it are members here :D
2002 C5 HDi SX estate
electrokid
1K Away

Post by electrokid »

The barrel arrived today and is now fitted :D I managed to use one of those small 'dental' stainless steel tools with a narrow arrowhead form to prise the offending blockage back a bit and with a bit of jiggling got the old key in - so at least I didn't have to get brutal with the little pip - just gave it a push when moving the key back to rest.

Getting at the connectors was a bit of a sod - an extra hand with several elbows would have helped.

I removed the steering wheel to get better access and to put it on straight - last time I had it off :shock: I put it back about 20 degrees out - so before removing it this time I chizelled a small ding at '12 o'clock' (because I was familiar with how it looked for 'straight ahead' ). I also had a look at the 'fan full speed' relay. I did the heater fan mod a while back and it only worked for 6 months. The relay was clicking ok but had obviously failed internally - replacing it has got the fan full speed setting working again :D

I now don't have dash lights - I guess I've knocked the plug off the rheostat while jiggling the plasticwork into place. At least the steering wheel is now in the right place.
2002 C5 HDi SX estate