Heater - no air throughput

BX Tech talk
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Heater - no air throughput

Post by Dollywobbler »

On the TZD, there is no air coming out of the vents. Well, nothing more than a trickle. The heater blower is going great guns, but there's still no air, even when moving. I suspect the flap that opens as you turn the blower motor dial is not actually opening. Any tips on how to get it open without having to remove most of the car first?
mat_fenwick

Re: Heater - no air throughput

Post by mat_fenwick »

Ironically, my new acquisition has the same problem, although to start with the blower wasn't working either. I temporarily wired that directly to the battery (whilst sat in a pub car park)

but all that achieved was more noise and no more air. I'll try and find the relevant flaps and post back in due course.

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Thanks Mat. I've been studying schematics and it does suggest there's a cable from the middle dial to a flap on top of the heater unit. That's separate from the blower unit though.

Scary how we both ended up on epic BX estate collections (with duff heaters) passing close to Chester, having to deal with snow (and did you get the torrential rain too?).
Mothman

Post by Mothman »

I went through all this with Sophie last year Ian, luckily being LHD and a MK 1 everything was much easier to get at. I was quite surprised how easily i coped with it.
I think you will have to remove some of the trim around the steering wheel to gain access but there is always the blasted steering column in the ruddy way. I wonder if the cable has become detached at one end. Bits can break at the control switch end if its been forced in its time.
Good luck with it.

Andy
Brian
BXpert

Post by Brian »

Is this any help?...

I am pretty sure it's the control top right rear in the picture that opens/closes the top vent to atmosphere.

If you remove the fan, you can then check if it's working.

Good luck
Visa 17D 1986 192K Sorn
BX 17RD 1986 220K Scrapped 2013 - Too much rust.
BX 17TZD 1992 192K
306 XRDT 1996 175K
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Thanks Brian. I'll see if I have time to have a play later. It's currently a gorgeous day but I've got a serious workload to deal with. I can't quite get my bearings with how that unit sits in the car.
RxBX
Over 2k

Post by RxBX »

Dollywobbler wrote:Thanks Brian. I'll see if I have time to have a play later. It's currently a gorgeous day but I've got a serious workload to deal with. I can't quite get my bearings with how that unit sits in the car.
Ian, it's very simple to work out the orientation with the photo /\ that Brian has kindly posted !

Your starring direct @ the heater control valve (Which can be clearly identified by the long set-screws and the control bell crank and valve open/close rod above ) and if you follow down to the right-hand side of the heater valve block you can see the inlet/outlet pipes which goes thro' the bulk-head, which also go thro' the oval rubber bulk-head seal (the heater Matrix its to the left of the heater control valve) :wink:

Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Right. Got you. So I guess the scuttle panel needs to come off to allow further investigation. Let's hope for some spare time and dry weather next week!
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

yeah, if you remove the blower motor, you'll see the flap in the hole beneath it.
If it's snapped the bowden cable it's most likely at the dial end rather than the heater box end, it clips into a shitty bit of plastic. That said, you might be really lucky and find it's just a bowden clip thats popped off the back of the PCB box.
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
citronut
Over 2k

Post by citronut »

it used to be a common fault of the cables at the control end becoming kinked, so turning the knob's did not relay the movement on to your flaps,

the other one was the cable would become unclipped at the control end's

you need to turn your knob/s whilst watching your flaps :shock: :twisted: :wink:

regards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
H reg CX saffari 2.5 TRI (now gone to Malaysia)
R reg xantia 1.9TD est (gone to meet its maker)
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Oo-er missus. I shall try and investigate this week.
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

That wasn't so bad. Heater motor out of the way and it was very obvious that the flap was shut. I didn't bother investigating - just shoved the flap open. That'll do.