Bump stop, rear discs and spare tyre carrier

Buy or sell parts etc. Please put 'Wanted' in the title if it is a request for parts.
Des Smith
1K Away

Bump stop, rear discs and spare tyre carrier

Post by Des Smith »

Just got back from Chevronics, having dropped off the St Tropez for some serious bodywork renovation. Spent a lot of time with Rob poking the underside and he suggested a post to trawl for any spare items forum members might have lurking.

1. One bump stop - these are no longer available and mine is missing.

2. A pair of decent rear wheel disc covers as mine are deeply corroded.

3. A decent spare wheel carrier; again mine is deeply corroded.

Ideally, these items need to get to Chevronics, rather than to me, so I imagine courier/royal mail would be the best method. I'm happy to cover these costs and payment methods can be worked out by PM. The time frame for receipt will be NLT the end of April so that Rob can slot fitting into the other work he has to do on the car.
BX14TE St Tropez 1990 - now sold
Xsara Forte 1.4i 2000
Kawasaki GPz550A4 1987
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Re: Bump stop, rear discs and spare tyre carrier

Post by Dollywobbler »

With 2 and 3, I would have thought that attacking them with a wire brush would be a good idea, then you can really see what state they're in. They might clean up with a bit of work - but it's probably not going to be cost effective to pay someone else to do the work.
Des Smith
1K Away

Post by Des Smith »

Ian,

Agreed, which is why Rob suggested trying to get better items on the forum. The St Tropez's are well and truly buggered and the best I could do with them is as you suggest and paint 'em up.
Xsara Forte 1.4i 2000
Kawasaki GPz550A4 1987
philhod
BXpert

Post by philhod »

The disc backplates, once removed and wire brushed, can be coated with Kurust and once dry,coated carefully with slonk.
This can be thinned down a bit, painted, and refitted.
They rarely need any work again.after that.
67 and still rockin (but not in a chair)
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

Or find a local coatings place like the I use who for £10 will shot blast and paint them.
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
Mothman

Post by Mothman »

I have always found it pretty hard to get the back plates off without shearing off a nut or two. Bloody difficult access too.

Andy
Des Smith
1K Away

Post by Des Smith »

Thanks for all the tips, guys. The car is at Chevronics, so I can't do anything to the offending parts myself. Rob and I have been through the options, and the work involved in restoring the existing disc covers will probably exceed the cost of sourcing NOS or decent secondhand items. There will be a whole pile of bits going off to be shotblasted and powder-coated, including the rear sub-frame, but given the state of the disc covers it seemed sensible to trawl for a set in decent condition. Optimistic, given their location on the car, but if you don't ask, you'll never find out.

Andy's point about seized nuts is very relevant. The whole rear end is in quite a rusty state, which is where most of the work is taking place. Usual weak spots in the boot and on the rear cross-member, rear wings and inner sills just in front of the rear wheels are all getting quite crusty, but happily most is saveable except for the rear wings, which I have already.

I know that there have been some posts about sourcing filler necks, and Rob has a whole box-full of these, so if you need one, he's your man.
Xsara Forte 1.4i 2000
Kawasaki GPz550A4 1987
Mothman

Post by Mothman »

Actully Des,
you dont need the disk covers for an MOT. Removed those on my TXD a couple of years ago as they were shot to bits.
I did remove those on my scrapper a few weeks ago and they are in remarkably good condition so will clean and treat them when the weather warms up a bit. I may have a problem refitting them as nuts have sheared as i said.
Good luck.

Andy
Des Smith
1K Away

Post by Des Smith »

The St Tropez passed its MOT last November without advisories, but I got an opportunity to have a good poke underneath courtesy of my friendly local garage, and what I saw persuaded me to get all the work done pronto. It makes sense to do it in one hit and I'm lucky enough to have the budget to cover the costs. I don't have a decent working area or the equipment to safely raise the car high enough to get underneath and get properly stuck in. If it were just the disc covers, that would be rather more straightforward, but there's a bit of welding work to be done. I've seen the aftermath of poor welding, and tbh it should be done properly, which is why she's at Chevronics. This work all stems from the need to put the new rear quarters on. If you've read any of the posts about WAM in early 2010, you'll know she had a rust problem then. Unfortunately, I didn't join the forum until after I'd bought her, which is why I am repenting at leisure and some expense. As you know, it's an addiction, but I keep it under control by only having one BX. :)
Xsara Forte 1.4i 2000
Kawasaki GPz550A4 1987
citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

You may be repenting, but well done sinking the time, effort and money into a model like a St. Tropez - although a rare car the 14's in general are very under rated and not many people would bother with what you're doing!
Mike Sims
BX 19RD Estate Mk1 - Timex!
BX 4X4 Estate - Oh god, I've done it again!
BX 17RD MK1 - it called to me!
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
XM Turbo SD,GS Club Estate,Visa 17D Leader,HY Pickup,Dyane Nomad,Dyane 6,2CV AZL,Falcon S,Trabant P50,3x Land Rovers (88" series 1,109" series 2a FFR,series 2a Marshall ambulance),DKW F7, Lambretta LD150 x 1.5,Mobylette SP93,Ural Cossack,Ural M63,CZ 250 Sport,Honda Varadero 125,lots of bicycles & tricycles including (but not only) Sunbeams,Higgins & Bates!
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

citsncycles wrote:You may be repenting, but well done sinking the time, effort and money into a model like a St. Tropez - although a rare car the 14's in general are very under rated and not many people would bother with what you're doing!

Very true, but one day the only bxs left will be 16vs and a few mk1s so good on you.
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....