diesel misfire - heading for a breakdown?

BX Tech talk
tim
BXpert
My Cars: 2 1992 BX TXD estates

diesel misfire - heading for a breakdown?

Post by tim »

Odd one. Left the Red One standing for the past week as I've been getting a ride from a friend. Started up ok this a.m. and went up to the local fuel stop (small village so that translates as only fuel stop) and stuck in 20 litres of Applegreen's finest. A mile or two further I was aware of a slight hiccup akin to a small misfire, and at the end of the 7-mile trip it was still there and not going away. That was lunchtime - I started up to come home at 6.30 and she only JUST got going, cough, splutter and general unhappiness. I nearly cut my losses and went for the RAC card, but I wanted to get home and I always reckon that if you are going to break down then HAVE one, then you can fix the problem once and for all. So I headed off. Better when hot but still not right.
So what do we have? a) some kind of problem due to standing for a week. Since the old moo was standing in a wood for three years and started without problems, I don't see this as likely. b) some kind of problem which just happened to have happened today rather than any time before. c) I've bought 20 litres of shit diesel, either with water in it or dead rabbits or something. So what do you guys think? If I drain the tank down I'll have to find some empty drums and get covered in diesel, then head off to the nearest non-Applegreen supply which is seven miles away. Twice. Piss. And with added frostbite.
I can't offer any further symptoms. I can't see clouds of smoke or steam. The car runs mostly okay, just hiccups gently. (though starting tomorrow morning will be as rough as just now, guaranteed). Also, I can hear a slight tinkly noise occasionally which I would describe as pinking, which is obviously a symptom of the problem. I don't have any long journeys planned so I'll be stuck with this tankful for a while, unless I drain it. The prime suspect has to be the fuel, but why?
mat_fenwick

Re: diesel misfire - heading for a breakdown?

Post by mat_fenwick »

Try draining any water from the filter - if there is little or none then you can rule out water contamination. Possibly rig up a temporary tank with fresh diesel to prove/disprove a fuel problem. You didn't fill up from te green pump by mistake did you...? ;)

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
RxBX
Over 2k

Post by RxBX »

mat_fenwick wrote:Try draining any water from the filter - if there is little or none then you can rule out water contamination. Possibly rig up a temporary tank with fresh diesel to prove/disprove a fuel problem. You didn't fill up from te green pump by mistake did you...? ;)
I too thought the same Mat, :wink:

However Tim does seems fairly adamant it was filled with Diesel !

:idea: Tim, Did you get a till receipt when paying for the fuel (if so check it), if not open up the filler flap and have a quick sniff to tell if its defo Diesel :?

Good luck !

Mothman

Post by Mothman »

I have some 20 litre plastic containers if needed Tim. Bought a load of heating oil last year when i nearly ran out.
I have used the same fuel seller with no problems in any of my motors for the past year.

Andy
vulgalour
BXpert
My Cars: 1980 Austin Princess 1.7 HL
1987 Citroen BX 17RD

Post by vulgalour »

I'd think you'd notice if there were dead rabbits in the tank, they make a very distinctive noise when the come out of the pump nozzle.
tim
BXpert

Post by tim »

Well, seeing as Andy had the empty drums I went for the simplest option which was to drain off the tank and refill with fresh diesel from a BP station on the A21, changing the filter as well. If there was any water in there we couldn't see it...shortly afterwards we again had a functioning BX. The next stage is to visit the petrol station and offer option A, buy back their diesel and no more said, or option B, have it poured slowly over the forecourt along with some helpful warnings to potential diesel buyers. By the time the fifth car has headed away the penny should have dropped.
Can anyone suggest why this has happened? Like I say, if there is anything contaminating the fuel we can't see it, but something is wrong with it. It would be nice to know what. No, it wasn't green diesel, the garage only sells the regular, I think. How could you tell the difference, out of interest? The stuff I've drained off is yellowish.
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

I was jokingly hinting that you might have filled up with unleaded :lol: Water in the fuel would probably be obvious if it's as cold down there as it is up here, and if it was partly contaminated with petrol the smell would again be fairly obvious. Is it a similar viscosity to known good diesel?

I've just Googled Applegreen (I assumed it was a local chain of filling stations down there) and wonder what that 5% addition actually is in this case?!

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
tim
BXpert

Post by tim »

Just been looking at the Stripey thread and was reminded that diesel needs additive in winter. It's ferking cold out there but not that bad - I wonder if the fuel station bought some unadditived fuel to save cash and it was actually freezing up?? These guys are real pennypinchers, to judge from the state of the equipment. Apparently they are quite big in Ireland.... I have always had my doubts about the freezing temp of diesel, despite the claims; I've had my old Land Rover freeze up on me twice in the 80's, and that was with a warm engine. Just got home each time but she didn't arf hiccup.
Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

Post by Defender110 »

Frozen diesel should show up in the filter, it doesn't actually freeze but turns to wax?
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.
tim
BXpert

Post by tim »

I was told that diesel will freeze at the first 'choke point', not necessarily in the tank; in the case of the Landy this was at the fuel filter on the bulkhead, and was a well-known problem. Maybe the same on the BX? And the fuel pipes are exposed to the airflow below the chassis..... just a thought.
Mothman

Post by Mothman »

Ive been spreading the word to all i know Tim. Avoid Applegreen!!
I certainly wont use them any more.

Andy
electrokid
1K Away

Post by electrokid »

Fuel suppliers put additives into diesel to stop it waxing up during the winter - perhaps this garage had a delivery of 'summer' diesel on the grounds that it really should be a lot warmer by now.
1992 BX19 TGD estate 228K Rusty - SORNed
2002 C5 HDi SX estate
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

This company chain have sold dodgy fuel before it seems. This post from over 4 years ago:
Apple Green petrol station Arklow - Beware
Just thought I'd let people know.

Called in to this station after coming off the Arklow South exit of the N11. Filled up with €50. Turned on the engine, the car struggled to get out of the garage, and clapped out and died just as we got across the road.

2 mechanics looked at it, couldn't get it going again, or figure out what was wrong with it. It had to be towed. The tow truck driver said never to buy petrol from that place, he's towed plenty of cars from it.

2 days later the problem was found out, dodgy fuel. The fuel tank was drained and the car worked fine. Before anybody says it, no it was not filled with diesel (it's a petrol car). The fuel has been sent away to be tested.

€200 for the mechanics and €50 of fuel gone.
Thread link:
http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthre ... 2055384028" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
1991 BX19GTi Auto