Squeaky steering wheel driving me insane

BX Tech talk
RobC
BXpert
My Cars: 1991 Citroen BX 16v

Squeaky steering wheel driving me insane

Post by RobC »

Can the steering column be raised or lowered? My steering wheel is rubbing on the trim behind it, and I know the trim is as secured as it can be.

Has anyone else had this problem?

Ta
Rob
1991 Citroen BX 16v
kiwi
Over 2k

Re: Squeaky steering wheel driving me insane

Post by kiwi »

Yup after I had been playing around with the steering column. Have you been doing any work in that area?
1991 BX19 TZS 04/01/91 (Deceased)
1990 BX19 TRS 27/10/89 (Reborn)
1992 BX19 TXD (Ex UK - K 744 SDF) 15/06/92
1990 BX19 TZS Auto 06/11/1989
1992 BX TZD Turbo Estate (Ex UK) 1/07/91
Mothman

Post by Mothman »

My TZD has started to make a squeak from the stearing wheel area, i think it just needs some lubrication which i will do when the weather warms up a bit.
Its not excessive, nor is it all the time. Dosnt really enoy me but i should look into it
Did get a terrible squeak from Gloria's off side seatbelt tensioner from deep inside the well from whence it came out. Now that was doing my head in but a good squirt of wd40 with the belt fully withdrawn soon sorted that problem.

Andy
Melchior
Confirmed BX'er

Post by Melchior »

Mine does the same. Not sure if it's a "feature" of the BX but I can pull the steering wheel towards me couple of mm and it stops rubbing. I can't help but thinking that play should not be there though! :-/
Dutch 1991 BX 8v GTi. 280,000km
APK (Dutch MOT) failed in May 2013, sold to a member of the Dutch Citroen forum. His thread can be found here: http://www.citroen-forum.nl/forums/viewthread/221870/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Mickey taker
Over 2k

Post by Mickey taker »

check the steering column bush , might just need re "spiking" as they can loosen up over time
1991 BX Meteor 1.6

light travels faster than sound, thats why you look intelligent and then you spoil it all by opening your mouth !!!!!
Mickey taker
Over 2k

Post by Mickey taker »

discussed here,

although Be warned those of a sheltered disposition might not like some of the innuendos and language those naughty, naughty BX project chaps use.

http://www.bxproject.co.uk/phpbb3/viewt ... =12&t=3441" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
1991 BX Meteor 1.6

light travels faster than sound, thats why you look intelligent and then you spoil it all by opening your mouth !!!!!
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

I just put a light smear of grease on the trim...
electrokid
1K Away

Post by electrokid »

Sometimes the instrument binnacle can get loose and press down on the plasticwork to the extent that it is pushed towards the rear face of the steering wheel (the face that's away from you from the driving position - the front of the wheel in relation to the car) where it can rub.

Check the tightness of the plastic wing nuts that hold the binnacle in place - remove the clock / bits tray to access the one on your left and the switch panel on your right to access (with your special arm that has 3 elbows) the right hand one.

If they are tight then loosen them and re-tighten while applying pressure to lift the binnacle to see if you can get it to settle in a slightly higher position.
1992 BX19 TGD estate 228K Rusty - SORNed
2002 C5 HDi SX estate
RobC
BXpert

Post by RobC »

Thanks guys. It's been like this ever since I got the car, though I recently had the lower shroud off to address my heater tap (thanks Mick!) and thought that it was a trim issue that would be solved when I put it back together.

It feels like the whole column needs to come up by a couple of mm. The lower bush seems perfectly fine and well secure. If i cant move the actual column up, if I could prise the upper bush up would that help do you think?

Just seen electro kids reply while I was typing this- thanks ill try that!

Rob
1991 Citroen BX 16v
bx_pallas
Confirmed BX'er

Post by bx_pallas »

Hi! If you loosen the screw on the u-joint that connencts the upper and the lower part of the steering column, you can pull out the upper part a few millimeters, and retighten the screw on the u-joint. This widens the gap between the wheel and the plastic... I moved mine up ca. 2mm and since then the wheel is not touching
RobC
BXpert

Post by RobC »

bx_pallas wrote:Hi! If you loosen the screw on the u-joint that connencts the upper and the lower part of the steering column, you can pull out the upper part a few millimeters, and retighten the screw on the u-joint. This widens the gap between the wheel and the plastic... I moved mine up ca. 2mm and since then the wheel is not touching
Excellent first post sir! You have solved my problem. Driving around is now a pleasure rather than a squeaky chore. Beers all round.

If anyone else fancies doing this, you can save time by only undoing the screws at the lower end of the plastic shroud (you might need to loosen the ones at the top), then you can peer through the gap and spy the nut and bolt on the clamp (both 13mm). By leaving the steering wheel attached you can then make the minor adjustment necessary and know when you've got it perfect. Exercise caution in not pulling it up too far...
1991 Citroen BX 16v
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

You can get near 10mm if you push the bushes up, seat the column bracket high and adjust the links on the bottom and mid uj to maximum travel.

I imagine a smear of grease will quite successfully mask the sound of the steering wheel wearing away.
Jayboy
BXpert

Post by Jayboy »

When reseating the bushes make sure you're indicator cancelling still works cos it is possible to pull the steering wheel out so far the tang on the back doesn't do it's job.
gary0006

Post by gary0006 »

Good solution, the squeaking is driving me crazy

bx_pallas wrote:Hi! If you loosen the screw on the u-joint that connencts the upper and the lower part of the steering column, you can pull out the upper part a few millimeters, and retighten the screw on the u-joint. This widens the gap between the wheel and the plastic... I moved mine up ca. 2mm and since then the wheel is not touching
michaelr
Confirmed BX'er

Post by michaelr »

Magic solution and so simple, thank you! Loosened one 13mm hex nut, slide the upper column up and retighten... it took all of 30 seconds.No more squeak.
Michael, Sydney, Australia

BX19TRI Automatic
DS23 Pallas