increasing centre bore ( not bx)

BX Tech talk
Mickey taker
Over 2k

increasing centre bore ( not bx)

Post by Mickey taker »

anyone have any experience of increasing the centre bore of alloy wheels,
I bought a really cheap set of alloys with tyres for the V70 just for the tyres .
I was going to sell the alloys on but they are in very good nick and much nicer on the eye than my alloys.
They are from a five stud volvo s40 which has a centre bore of 63.4 the V70 has a centre bore of 65.1 so my question is
how easy and safe is it to open the centre bore up by 1.7 mm overall i.e. taking .85mm off of the inner side of the bore if that makes sense
and anyone know anywhere in the bucks /midlands area that could do it for me
1991 BX Meteor 1.6

light travels faster than sound, thats why you look intelligent and then you spoil it all by opening your mouth !!!!!
mat_fenwick

Re: increasing centre bore ( not bx)

Post by mat_fenwick »

Image :?:

Seriously, it seems like a fairly common thing to do - I'd just double check the stud PCD is identical. Also check the profile of the wheel nuts/studs as they may be different from wheel to wheel. Unlikely though seeing as they're both for Volvos.

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

PCD should be the same if they are both proper Ovlov rims. As should the stud spacing.
Taking that little out of them wont do any harm at all.
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
Mickey taker
Over 2k

Post by Mickey taker »

Cheers guys, its a bit weird that the centre bore is different as they didnt change the s40 until 5 stud until 2004, the v70 mk2 had already been in production for 4 years by then so you would have thought they would have standsrdised across the range
1991 BX Meteor 1.6

light travels faster than sound, thats why you look intelligent and then you spoil it all by opening your mouth !!!!!
Mickey taker
Over 2k

Post by Mickey taker »

I had a similar situation when I put honda civic sport alloys on the trajet , a machine shop opened the honda wheels up from 56.1 mm to 67.1 mm for a fiver per wheel, unfortunately the shop seems to have closed down
1991 BX Meteor 1.6

citronut
Over 2k

Post by citronut »

if you have to open the orifice i would use the likes of this

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Power+T ... 790/p91986" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

regards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
H reg CX saffari 2.5 TRI (now gone to Malaysia)
R reg xantia 1.9TD est (gone to meet its maker)
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

The correct way to do it is of course on a lathe, but quite frankly I would expect you to be laughed at if you asked a machine shop to do it. It will take considerably longer to mount them onto the lathe than to actually cut them the 0.85mm.

Flap wheel it is then!
Mickey taker
Over 2k

Post by Mickey taker »

yay , my flapwheel is my new bestest friend,
we have spent some intimate moments together this weekend opening the bores ( well removing a lip really ,
for some reason volvo put a 5 mm wide by 1mm deep lip around the back edge of these rims,
removing that has opened the bore up to about the right amount and I have a nice smooth bore to fit my hubs now
1991 BX Meteor 1.6

Mickey taker
Over 2k

Post by Mickey taker »

the reason for all this

one v70

ugly rims

nice rims and tyres for £120.00

but they were for an s40 so needed the centre bore opening up

1991 BX Meteor 1.6