Removing ABS

BX Tech talk
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Removing ABS

Post by Tim Leech »

Is it possible? I know it has safety benefits, but we are all aware of the issues they cause on older cars and that they can fail a MOT if the lamp is illuminted, the TZI has it fitted and its playing up, it was a factory option and not standard fit.

I would of course like it to be working perfectly but as theres no way to know where the fault is without spending a small fortune im a bit stuck!
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Re: Removing ABS

Post by Dollywobbler »

These days, I'm not sure how easy it is as I think the MOT computer will tell the tester whether it is fitted or not - in which case he'll be expecting the bulb to illuminate when the ignition is turned on. Given the power of BX brakes, I think ABS is probably a good thing, though the light illuminates occasionally on mine too.
Mothman

Post by Mothman »

Malcolm is the man to help here Tim.

I suspect a wire has busted but where is the problem?

Good luck with it.

Andy
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

BX ABS is fundamentally four sensors and a valve, it's hardly a complicated system to figure out. Better still the Citroen Workshop Manual instructions on diagnosing an ABS related fault is freely available on the interwebz and requires little more than a bog standard multimeter.

Taking it off is going to require a significant amount of repiping, meaning either finding a donor, finding new shaped pipes or making up new pipes for which you can factor in a good £200 for tools and supplies. Unless of course you bodge the ABS pump out.

To make it a true non ABS car you'll need to change drive shafts and all manner of wiring.

There are of course simple ways of getting it through an MOT, if that is all you need.
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Post by Kitch »

Vanny wrote:BX ABS is fundamentally four sensors and a valve, it's hardly a complicated system to figure out. Better still the Citroen Workshop Manual instructions on diagnosing an ABS related fault is freely available on the interwebz and requires little more than a bog standard multimeter.

Taking it off is going to require a significant amount of repiping, meaning either finding a donor, finding new shaped pipes or making up new pipes for which you can factor in a good £200 for tools and supplies. Unless of course you bodge the ABS pump out.

To make it a true non ABS car you'll need to change drive shafts and all manner of wiring.

There are of course simple ways of getting it through an MOT, if that is all you need.
Like a 1k resistor under the back seat. Lamp stays off until I get to 15mph :lol:
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Well, I didn't want to mention that... ;)
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

I think you'll find if it's recorded as an ABS car it'll fail the MoT if it's removed.
When you say the ABS is playing up, how so?
There are of course very easy ways to make the light come on with the ignition and go out after a set time regardless of what the ABS is doing, but as said above, it's a very simple system, fault testing it is easy. The only things that tend to fail on the system are the wiring to the sensors.
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

When I got it the ABS light was working fine, since then it comes and goes off (when it came back on you could hear a relay click) but is now on all the time (bulb removed).

I wouldnt know where to start to be honest (I have a spare pair of ABS hubs), it has luckily passed the last 2 MOT's with the bulb removed but ideally it would be nice to have it working as it should....

I wont be removing anything though as it looks much more difficualt than I envisaged, thanks for the advice.
Vanny
Merseyside resident
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

Finding the repair documents require nothing more than typing

Citroen bx abs pdf

into google, and viola

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=citro ... 74&bih=927" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Mothman

Post by Mothman »

Just out of interest? Where would it say it had ABS fitted as standard?
Is there something on the MOT details we dont know about? Or is it in the VIN no?

Andy
citronut
Over 2k

Post by citronut »

Tim Leech wrote: it has luckily passed the last 2 MOT's with the bulb removed
how much did you pay the tester :shock: :wink:

as if ABS is fitted the lamp must come on on turning the ignition on and go out so many seconds after that,

not as if the MOT tester cant see the ABS block under the bonnet,

regards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
H reg CX saffari 2.5 TRI (now gone to Malaysia)
R reg xantia 1.9TD est (gone to meet its maker)
mds141
Over 2k

Post by mds141 »

Tim is the ABS actually working? ie does it prevent the wheels from locking up? I'd be inclined to leave it all alone. I imagine a ABS sensor has a wiring fault, probably due to vibration and/or water ingress. Bring the TZI along to the technical weekend, I'm sure someone can sort it. [-o<
Mark Smith

Is it just me or is everything shit?

1989 BX GTi 16 valve. Blanc Alpine. Completed the Citroen Classic Challenge Ecosse and 1337 miles without a hitch.
2000 XM VSX 2.1 td Auto. Rouge Magenta.
TGD saloon many years ago.

1990 Swift 'Corniche' 12/2 aka BXClub HQ.
Honda Firestorm. Gone, but not forgotten.
2015 Triumph Tiger Explorer XC.
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

citronut wrote: how much did you pay the tester :shock: :wink:

as if ABS is fitted the lamp must come on on turning the ignition on and go out so many seconds after that,

not as if the MOT tester cant see the ABS block under the bonnet,

regards malcolm
It's probably the same MOT Tester that stuck the emissions probe up the exhaust of the car next to Tim's when his own emissions were too high. :lol:
1991 BX19GTi Auto
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

It also has a ABS badge on the tailgate, the MOT tester at work is quite strict, the chap who did my spannering work for me left a while ago (nowt to do with me) so I rarely get any work done there now.

Looks as if he hasnt "noticed" there is no ABS light, and no Mark since the ABS lamp started coming on it doesnt work, it did when I got it!

Thanks Vanny, it may aswell be in urdu though!
Vanny
Merseyside resident
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

Urdu? It's got pictures and everything!