Lopsided...kindof

BX Tech talk
kieran.l
BXpert

Lopsided...kindof

Post by kieran.l »

This isn't really a big deal, I'm just curious, but the mk1 sits about 2.5cm higher on the nearside than the offside, both at the front and rear (on perfectly level ground at normal driving hight).
I measured from the ground to the top of the wheel arch at the front, and from the ground to the bottom of the wheel spat at the rear.

Front: Nearside - 66cm
Offside - 63.5cm

Rear: Nearside - 46.3cm
Offside - 44.4cm

As said, it isn't a big deal, just wondering are all BXs a bit like this, or should it sit a bit more level? Or is it just inherent variability? Despite the fact its only 2.5cm its quite noticeable if pointed out. And this isn't a one time thing as I thinks its always been a bit lopsided.
Also when putting the car in low position (which I always leave it in when letting it parked for more than a few days) it always hits the offside rear bump-stop first before hitting the nearside stop (there's a 2 or 3 second difference).
Kieran

1984 BX 19RD
2018 Peugeot 3008 1.5 BlueHDi EAT8
JayW
1K Away

Re: Lopsided...kindof

Post by JayW »

A fault at either the front or back causing the problem will in most cases be echoed to the opposide end.

Consider: One droplink shorter than the other or an estate rear cylinder having been fitted in the past amongst others.
I have zero patience for your tedium.
Mickey taker
Over 2k

Post by Mickey taker »

Dont forget that there will always be "weight " on the drivers side when the cars in use but only on the nearside when a passsenger is carried so perhaps the offside settles lower for that reason.

Just an idea
1991 BX Meteor 1.6

light travels faster than sound, thats why you look intelligent and then you spoil it all by opening your mouth !!!!!
MULLEY
Over 2k
My Cars: 1999 Xsara LX 2.0HDI (90) Hatch - Fern
2002 C5 2.0 HDI (110) Estate - Jasmine - SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - SORN
1992 TZD Turbo Estate - SORN
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired - SORN
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

Post by MULLEY »

It should be level regardless of where the weight is in the car, thats the point of self levelling suspension. Sounds like sticking struts, if you give the front slam panel a shove when its lop sided, does it then settle at the same level?
2002 C5 2.0 HDI Estate - Jasmine - Now SORN
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - My daily
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired.

I'm not just a username, i'm also called Matthew.
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

JayW wrote:Consider: One droplink shorter than the other
I've had that when supplied with two of different makes. From memory about 10 mm difference. But could be a number of things as mentioned.

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
kieran.l
BXpert

Post by kieran.l »

JayW wrote:Consider: One droplink shorter than the other
mat_fenwick wrote:I've had that when supplied with two of different makes. From memory about 10 mm difference. But could be a number of things as mentioned.
This is interesting as I just replaced both droplinks and they were two different makes cos I couldn't get the same one again.

But then again, I remember that it was last year that I noticed that at the rear at least the nearside was higher that offside. And the two old droplinks removed at least looked the same part. Didn't check the front then.

JayW wrote:Consider: an estate rear cylinder having been fitted in the past amongst others.
How could you tell if an estate rear cylinder has been fitted? Are they larger and take more oil?

MULLEY wrote:Sounds like sticking struts, if you give the front slam panel a shove when its lop sided, does it then settle at the same level?
I do think the struts are sticking a bit because most of the time when rising from low position to driving height, the rear rises gradually and slowly but the front generally doesn't rise gradually but springs up once the rear has risen. Sometimes it does gradually rise with the back but most times not. Also, sometimes after doing this and when sitting into the car it drops fully and instantly at the front but rises quickly again. :?
Is the slam panel the panel between the headlights that the bonnet secures into? I'm pretty sure that the car always settles into the lopsided position not matter whether rising to driving height or dropping from the high position to drive height, but I'll have to check that.
Kieran

1984 BX 19RD
MULLEY
Over 2k
My Cars: 1999 Xsara LX 2.0HDI (90) Hatch - Fern
2002 C5 2.0 HDI (110) Estate - Jasmine - SORN
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - SORN
1992 TZD Turbo Estate - SORN
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired - SORN

Post by MULLEY »

Yes, thats the slam panel, its strong, so unlike the bonnet if you push down on it hard, it wont bend or damage the paintwork etc... If by pusing down on that a few times with the engine running & the suspension is still higher on one side, measure those droplinks incase as the guy's above had said are different sizes.
2002 C5 2.0 HDI Estate - Jasmine - Now SORN
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - My daily
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired.

I'm not just a username, i'm also called Matthew.
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

kieran.l wrote:How could you tell if an estate rear cylinder has been fitted? Are they larger and take more oil?
Larger internal diameter, so they look identical from the outside. For an equal pressure (which it must be in the hydraulic system) a larger piston will exert more force on the suspension arm. That'll be balanced to some extent by the ARB linking the two arms together.

I've never seen the results of mismatched cylinders, and can't remember the sizes to know whether the effect would be significant though. Worth a check though - I think you would be able to measure the rough piston diameter even through the boot when the suspension is on high. Hopefully you would be able to get a good enough measurement to at least tell whether there is a difference.

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
tim
BXpert
My Cars: 2 1992 BX TXD estates

Post by tim »

The White One has exactly this 'problem' and has had for a long time now. However, I've followed it many times and once pumped up she's fine. It may be something to do with the weight of the driver over time, unless this is just coincidence......
rutter123
Over 2k
My Cars: 90 Bx Tzd turbo ven red 295k
74 D Super 5 black
05 Volvo V50 2.0d 180k
65 Peugeot Boxer work van 280k

Post by rutter123 »

check the rear arm bearings if they are completely shot it will sit lower on that side, also worth measuring from the centre of the wheel to the wheel arch, without stating the obvious have you checked tyre sizes and wear and pressures.
when i got my tzd it had 3 165's and 1 175 tyre which wasnt noticed until the mot tester spotted it.
90 BX Tzd turbo 294k SORN undergoing major surgery
90 BX Tzd turbo estate 46k awaiting surgery
65 Peugeot Boxer Van the new workhorse
52 Toyota Rav4 180k Bulletproof Jap reliability
kieran.l
BXpert

Post by kieran.l »

mat_fenwick wrote:
kieran.l wrote:How could you tell if an estate rear cylinder has been fitted? Are they larger and take more oil?
I think you would be able to measure the rough piston diameter even through the boot when the suspension is on high. Hopefully you would be able to get a good enough measurement to at least tell whether there is a difference.
I'll try this and also get a mesuring tape to the droplinks. Thanks :)
rutter123 wrote:check the rear arm bearings if they are completely shot it will sit lower on that side, also worth measuring from the centre of the wheel to the wheel arch, without stating the obvious have you checked tyre sizes and wear and pressures.
when i got my tzd it had 3 165's and 1 175 tyre which wasnt noticed until the mot tester spotted it.
Doubt its the arm bearings as they're in good nick - or at least certainly far from completely shot, pretty certain all the same size tyres although I should check the pressures maybe... :lol: :roll:
Kieran

1984 BX 19RD
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

mine is lower on the Os, I know why though, the front ARB isn't aligned. Since I'll be throwing valver ARB's on it soon I'm not that fussed..
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
BX Bandit
Backslash Bandit
My Cars: Cars

Post by BX Bandit »

I measured my front TD one versus my 16v one to find no difference - nada - nil - zilchio! Although IIRC Citroen Net jobby says otherwise!
1990 BX 16V Platinum Grey
1990 BX TGD White
1960 Morris Minor Clarondon Grey
1971 Triumph 2000 Auto Valencia Blue