Safety Belt Pretensioners

Anything about BXs
Way2go
Over 2k

Safety Belt Pretensioners

Post by Way2go »

I keep seeing "Safety Belt Pretensioners" being described as fitted on the Ebay advertised BX's under Safety Features.
Surely Safety Belt Pretensioners is an active system that pulls any slack out of the belt when the car senses a collision.
I thought that the BX belts were just inertia reel types. Did any BX's have these Pretensioners fitted as standard?
Any views on whether Ebay sellers telling truth or lies?
1991 BX19GTi Auto
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

they do only have inertia reel seat belts and dont have pretensioners (hell we'd all want them if the had ever come on a BX!). It's not possible to fit them to the car aftermarket (beyond the fact that there pyrotechnics and its illegal to retrofit them) the seat its self isn't capable of safely taking pretensioners. Have a look at later xantia seatsd and there hugely over engineered for the added strain.
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

Funny you should mention that Way2Go, I`ve been wondering myself recently and found the devices on the last couple of cars I have bought.
They look like a sort of gas canister and are mounted on the outside of the seat subframes near the door openings.
Vauxhall apologist.
Stewart (oily!)
1K Away

Post by Stewart (oily!) »

You arent supposed to crash BXs just pull your seatbelt tight and swerve around the obstacle :)
Stewart
TZD 19 TD one of the few
Xantia Td estate, going soft
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

jonkw wrote:Its a problem with the way the Ebay listing works I think, I think if you select rear seatbelts in "safety features" Ebay kindly assume that you have front pre-tensioners as well.
Makes sense. I found my missus on a dating website and they `kindly assumed` she had decent front airbags and a personality of her own :lol:
Vauxhall apologist.