rutter123
Over 2k
My Cars: 90 Bx Tzd turbo ven red 295k
74 D Super 5 black
05 Volvo V50 2.0d 180k
65 Peugeot Boxer work van 280k

T/d fuel pump timing

Post by rutter123 »

Is there any way of checking the timing on the fuel pump without a dial gauge? 2 reasons, when i got it 7 years ago it had no fuel pump on it, i soured a NOS cav type on bay and fitted it but set the timing by ear, diesel knock etc, it has been running like this for about 70k and runs well and pulls well but has always been quite sooty black/grey smoke under heavy foot, and 2nd the top end is lacking compared to prev t/d's
90 BX Tzd turbo 294k SORN undergoing major surgery
90 BX Tzd turbo estate 46k awaiting surgery
65 Peugeot Boxer Van the new workhorse
52 Toyota Rav4 180k Bulletproof Jap reliability
BX Bandit
Backslash Bandit
My Cars: Cars

Re: T/d fuel pump timing

Post by BX Bandit »

The difference between my tgd turbo and my tzd turbo in terms of performance was quite significant, despite both having the same turbo and injection pump.

You may find the pump was set up for a kkk turbo rather than a garrett for example - they spool up differently.

Without a dial gauge I don't think there is an accurate way of ascertaining your timing. Also, once running, there is still a wide envelope of timing error possible without any real indication of whether the timing is set correctly.

Consumption, running temp and cold/hot starting are good indicators of timing. Black smoke indicates over fuelling, possibly due to the pump being set up based on a different turbo, an air intake restriction or retarded timing. Also have a look at 'diesel bob' on the inter web, lots of sound advice on there.
1990 BX 16V Platinum Grey
1990 BX TGD White
1960 Morris Minor Clarondon Grey
1971 Triumph 2000 Auto Valencia Blue
JayW
1K Away

Post by JayW »

BX Bandit wrote:The difference between my tgd turbo and my tzd turbo in terms of performance was quite significant.
The white TGD?
I have zero patience for your tedium.
BX Bandit
Backslash Bandit
My Cars: Cars

Post by BX Bandit »

Not quite mate, my old tgd, don't think you ever saw that one. I'm praying the white one will sail through with about a days work! She needs to be up and running by end of may
1990 BX 16V Platinum Grey
1990 BX TGD White
1960 Morris Minor Clarondon Grey
1971 Triumph 2000 Auto Valencia Blue