A light rear end rebuild before Tea

BX Tech talk
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

A light rear end rebuild before Tea

Post by Vanny »

For some unknown reason i got a little bored last Sunday and decided 4pm on a Sunday was the right time to take the rear bumper off and check on a rust patch i knew about.

Patch appears to have become more than a quick 2" repair!

First patch went in reasonably well, then i ran out of metal, gas and will to live!

Laura seems to think this wont pass the MOT, but i've seen worse

It should probably be noted that this is the first time i've really done something this major without adult supervision/assistance.

Fortunately the rot hasn't got too far, and isn't in the chassis rails. The repair patches are probably a bit OTT for what was actually rotten, but at least this way i know I've got the plague out, and its made patching a LOT easier. I'm learning fast that's for sure!

Tomorrow is going to be something of an epic battle if I'm to make it to a car show on Sunday!

EDIT Just ran out of gas, so looks like I'm not heading North tomorrow :(
Last edited by Vanny on Thu Feb 27, 2014 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mothman

Re: A light rear end rebuild before Tea

Post by Mothman »

A good job well done bud. Give yourself a slap on the back but not too hard :D

Andy
Paul296
Over 2k
My Cars: Citroen BX 17 TZD Hurricane
Citroen BX 17 TGD

Post by Paul296 »

Lovely job! My TGD has started to go in exactly the same place but I think I've caught it before it gets quite that bad. I wouldn't mind learning how to weld; with two 20 year old BXs it might be a good skill to have. Is it that difficult?
citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

Looks a lot of work, but a nice job there!
Mike Sims
BX 19RD Estate Mk1 - Timex!
BX 4X4 Estate - Oh god, I've done it again!
BX 17RD MK1 - it called to me!
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
XM Turbo SD,GS Club Estate,Visa 17D Leader,HY Pickup,Dyane Nomad,Dyane 6,2CV AZL,Falcon S,Trabant P50,3x Land Rovers (88" series 1,109" series 2a FFR,series 2a Marshall ambulance),DKW F7, Lambretta LD150 x 1.5,Mobylette SP93,Ural Cossack,Ural M63,CZ 250 Sport,Honda Varadero 125,lots of bicycles & tricycles including (but not only) Sunbeams,Higgins & Bates!
rutter123
Over 2k
My Cars: 90 Bx Tzd turbo ven red 295k
74 D Super 5 black
05 Volvo V50 2.0d 180k
65 Peugeot Boxer work van 280k

Post by rutter123 »

Paul296 wrote:Lovely job! My TGD has started to go in exactly the same place but I think I've caught it before it gets quite that bad. I wouldn't mind learning how to weld; with two 20 year old BXs it might be a good skill to have. Is it that difficult?
Get a little mig gas rig does the job inc chassis, practice trial and error, easy to use, i use an old s.i.p migmate gas rig 25 years old, does a good job, you WILL need one at some point and it will save you many beer tokens over time and teach you skills you never knew you had. 50 shades generally needs welding somewhere every mot so its been a godsend. Buy yourself a 4 inch angle grinder and a selection of wire brushes and discs and your good to go. Oh and the safety glasses a must. Fire extinguisher optional.
90 BX Tzd turbo 294k SORN undergoing major surgery
90 BX Tzd turbo estate 46k awaiting surgery
65 Peugeot Boxer Van the new workhorse
52 Toyota Rav4 180k Bulletproof Jap reliability
bx petrol auto saloon
BXpert
My Cars: Citroens SAABs and Vauxhalls

Post by bx petrol auto saloon »

Dear Vanny,
That didn,t look like very much rust at all when you look at the first photie, but what an excellant job you have done there. A little overkill, but at least she won,t be going rusty there again, this century =D> :D
Vince,
Passion Hydropneumatic Citroen,s

Cars;- 1993 White Citroen BX 1.6 TXi petrol
saloon auto with air-con & ABS.
47,594 Miles from new.
Owned for 3 years sorned.
1988 Silver SAAB 900i 2.0 8v F/lift,
saloon 5sp with 3 spoke Ronals,
69,000 Miles from new.
Owned for 15 years T & T.
Paul296
Over 2k
Citroen BX 17 TGD

Post by Paul296 »

rutter123 wrote:
Paul296 wrote:Lovely job! My TGD has started to go in exactly the same place but I think I've caught it before it gets quite that bad. I wouldn't mind learning how to weld; with two 20 year old BXs it might be a good skill to have. Is it that difficult?
Get a little mig gas rig does the job inc chassis, practice trial and error, easy to use, i use an old s.i.p migmate gas rig 25 years old, does a good job, you WILL need one at some point and it will save you many beer tokens over time and teach you skills you never knew you had. 50 shades generally needs welding somewhere every mot so its been a godsend. Buy yourself a 4 inch angle grinder and a selection of wire brushes and discs and your good to go. Oh and the safety glasses a must. Fire extinguisher optional.
I've had a look at welding gear - there's gas rigs and gasless rigs - what's the difference and which would be best?
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

Go with gas - it's difficult to get a neat looking weld with gasless. It's possible to modify a gas welder to use gasless wire just by reversing the polarity if you regularly weld in windy conditions which is the only advantage of gasless I can see. Oh, and even a cheap (eBay) auto darkening mask will help massively!

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
rutter123
Over 2k
My Cars: 90 Bx Tzd turbo ven red 295k
74 D Super 5 black
05 Volvo V50 2.0d 180k
65 Peugeot Boxer work van 280k

Post by rutter123 »

Paul296 wrote:
rutter123 wrote:
I've had a look at welding gear - there's gas rigs and gasless rigs - what's the difference and which would be best?
i dont know as i have never used a gasless mig but have heard they are quite good, im sure the web will provide enuf info and any advice. my rig is gas/no gas but have never used it without the gas.
90 BX Tzd turbo 294k SORN undergoing major surgery
90 BX Tzd turbo estate 46k awaiting surgery
65 Peugeot Boxer Van the new workhorse
52 Toyota Rav4 180k Bulletproof Jap reliability
Vanny
Merseyside resident
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

A few brief updates from Saturday before the gas ran out GRRR

Out rigger made up and ready to fit

Bit of panel beating, seems one edge of the vice has just the right angle to match the dints in the boot floor

Partly welded the rear cross structure in before disaster

I did spend the rest of the day making up the remaining in files, priming the underside bits, prepping for seam sealer etc Now have a gas refill and a better flow meter in among various other supplies so the chaos will recommence tomorrow
Last edited by Vanny on Thu Feb 27, 2014 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vanny
Merseyside resident
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

rutter123 wrote: i dont know as i have never used a gasless mig but have heard they are quite good.
Who are these people and where can i find them? Gasless is completely pointless and creates dreadful welds, usually flawed and full of crap, by my experience. If you're doing so little welding you think you wont need gas, then use disposable canisters.

the BOC PD Hobby bottle is pretty good, £18 rent, £16 per refil (+VAT), only 440 litres (about 4x a disposable) but withe that ground rent it would be madness not to have it over a box full of disposables.
Paul296
Over 2k
Citroen BX 17 TGD

Post by Paul296 »

Vanny wrote: chaos
Mmmm 'chaos'? Doesn't really look like chaos to me Vanny. Job's a good'un by the looks of it. 8)
Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

Post by Defender110 »

Lovely job Vanny.

+3 for gas, gasless gives poor and expensive welding and is pointless now bigger gas bottles are readily available to the hobby welder.
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.
citronut
Over 2k

Post by citronut »

that reconstruction looks first class Vanny,
i buy Co2 from my local drinks trade supplier, i think the last re/fill was around £16 quid,
no rental charge at all,

also you should not mig weld galvanised as the coating is highly toxic, and it causes an issue with the quality of the weld,

if i every do i always grind the coating away first,

i have bought a stand alone/proper spot welder, which is very good and achieves factory type welds were possible, like new to new metal or new to good existing metal,

its great as theres no grinding and cleaning afterwards,

i also use a weld through Zinc rich primmer so all contacting surface's are coated,

regards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
H reg CX saffari 2.5 TRI (now gone to Malaysia)
R reg xantia 1.9TD est (gone to meet its maker)
Vanny
Merseyside resident
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

citronut wrote:that reconstruction looks first class Vanny,
Thanks, I'm quite impressed with how well it's coming out. I think it's as good as it is only because i'm taking my time with it!

if i every do i always grind the coating away first,
Completely agree, i'm not sure if the pictures show it too well, but the two piece of galv have the welded areas ground clean for at least an inch from the weld site. I've had mild arsenic poisoning from welding galve before, i was rather ill, and that was only grinding, outside, on a windy day!
i have bought a stand alone/proper spot welder
How much did that set you back? I'm very tempted to get one for the impending mini i have to rebuild (hopefully this summer). Are they easy enough to use? Do you need a lot of electrodes/fingery things for it?
i also use a weld through Zinc rich primmer so all contacting surface's are coated,
I'm using a Zinc Aluminium primer which personally i find takes a weld much much better than a simple zinc rich primer. Only down side if that you have to use the whole can in once session, after a week or so from first use the can completely blocks up.