Rev Counter on Diesel

BX Tech talk
Stuarted
Confirmed BX'er

Rev Counter on Diesel

Post by Stuarted »

The rev counter on my 1.9 diesel estate does not work.

I understand that there is a 'sender' or a sensor / pickup device on the engine to drive this - obviously the rev counter can't work off the "ignition" electrics on diesel! Where is this sensor and what does it look like please?

The only workshop manual I have is for a petrol BX. Can anyone advise please me how I can check if the fault with my inoperative rev counter is with the dashborad instrument, the sensor on the engine, or the wiring?
bx_pallas
Confirmed BX'er

Re: Rev Counter on Diesel

Post by bx_pallas »

Behind the Battery you find a brown 3-way connector with two wires going down to the sensor (below the connector the cables are manteled, either black or white). The sender sits on the flywheel, engine side, next to the right hand drive shaft.

Stuarted
Confirmed BX'er

Post by Stuarted »

Excellent - thank you!

Do you happen to know what electrical signals should be present, please, so that I can check if it's the clock, the sensor or the wiring where the fault is?
tim
BXpert
My Cars: 2 1992 BX TXD estates

Post by tim »

This seems to be a common BX problem, and reminds me that I was going to put a post up about this. When I first got the Red One running, the rev counter wouldn't work for 3 or 4 miles then it would happily chime in for the rest of the journey. Then, after a couple of years, one day it decided to work OK for the first two or three miles, then.... yep, you guessed it. And it's been that way ever since. Temperature made a difference too, in winter it takes longer to die, now it's warm it goes almost immediately. Andy's non-turbo one doesn't work at all, and the wife's wanders about all over the place and never shows more than half the true reading.
So is it the pick-up, which can be unplugged, or what it picks up from - which can't be. If it's some kind of pickup ring inside the engine it would be a sod to get to - would just a clean do it or is there something electronic which needs replacing?
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

I think it's a Hall effect sensor - it picks up signal from the flywheel teeth. Usual failure mode is cutting out when hot; my suspicion is that a connection fractures within the resin encapsulation after repeated heating and cooling, and when hot this connection is broken. It's shared with other XUD engined vehicles so should still be easily available.

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
Stuarted
Confirmed BX'er

Post by Stuarted »

Thanks - helpful.

I can retrieve the sensor off a scrap BX where the rev counter worked OK.

However it would save time if there were a straightforward way of checking for sure if it is a faulty sensor (and not a wiring or an instrument fault) which is preventing the rev counter from working at present.

(Just to clarify, in view of the interesting replies so far: the rev counter does not work at all at present, hot or cold.)
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

I'm away from a BX at present so can't check resistances, but I think that one of the 3 wires is for the cable screen. A simple continuity check between the other 2 may help - if it is open circuit then there is definitely a sensor problem. If you have an oscilloscope you will be able to check what output (if any) is present; if not then a normal multimeter set to measure AC voltage may show some kind of output from a good sensor.

1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
bx_pallas
Confirmed BX'er

Post by bx_pallas »

The sensor is indeed the most common fault. You should measure a resistance in the 100ohm range (test at the brown connector, disconnected!). Could also be possible that the sensor is not close enough to the flywheel, the gap needs to be as narrow as possible. To adjust its position, loosen the little screw on the plasic mounting.

The connections at the back side of the rev counter instument are: (blue connector)
Pin #1: +12V (over ignition and fuse F1)
Pin #2: Ground
Pin #3&4: The sensor (via the brown connector behind the battery)

The F1 fuse (the very left) is also worth checking (first of all!), blown fuse = no rev counter!
Stuarted
Confirmed BX'er

Post by Stuarted »

Thank you, gentlemen - all good stuff. Very helpful.
Last edited by Stuarted on Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

They are still avalailble new from Citroen/Peugeot also worth trying eBay.
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
Stuarted
Confirmed BX'er

Post by Stuarted »

Thanks for all the info, folks.

Replaced sensor with the one off a scrap BX. As for adjustment, the best way seemed to be to slide the sensor in until it just touched the flywheel teeth, and then back a bit to give a bit of clearance. Rev counter now works a treat. Judging by the chewed-up end of the old sensor, it was probably damaged by being adjusted too close to the flywheel teeth.

Wouldn't have relaised the position of the sensor was adjustable if it were not for the info here. Thanks.
electrokid
1K Away

Post by electrokid »

Glad it's fixed :D

Yes the sensor needs to be as close to the flywheel as possible - 100 ohms sounds like a coil sensor - I know from experiments with a tacho on the test bench that the input signal needs to be quite high - slightly greater than 12 volts.

Where the tacho fails after the engine has been running for a while it could be sensor adjustment - magnetism reduces with increasing temperature (the curie curve) so any magnetic sensor will have an output which reduces as temperature increases.
1992 BX19 TGD estate 228K Rusty - SORNed
2002 C5 HDi SX estate
themildbunch
BXpert

Post by themildbunch »

electrokid wrote:
Where the tacho fails after the engine has been running for a while it could be sensor adjustment - magnetism reduces with increasing temperature (the curie curve) so any magnetic sensor will have an output which reduces as temperature increases.
Yes, a perfect description of my issue too after a recent engine swap - rev counter works fine then slowly becomes a little 'sticky' behaving oddly, then stops altogether after about 10 / 15 minutes.
1988 BX 19 Gti 16v
1991 BX 17 TZD Estate
1991 BX 17 TZD Estate
electrokid
1K Away

Post by electrokid »

Yes, a perfect description of my issue too after a recent engine swap - rev counter works fine then slowly becomes a little 'sticky' behaving oddly, then stops altogether after about 10 / 15 minutes.
With the (relatively) small increase in temperature that the sensor will experience, the effect will be quite marginal so you probably only need to move it very slightly closer to the flywheel. (In other words it's probably very close to where it should be anyway.) The story above suggests the need for caution to aviod a destroyed sensor so good luck with that :)

If the problem is related to temperature then your tacho will take longer to fail on a cold day.
1992 BX19 TGD estate 228K Rusty - SORNed
2002 C5 HDi SX estate
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

Hmmm, I wonder if it is that rather than just my theory of a connection being pulled open circuit due to thermal expansion. I must admit I've never tested a failed sensor, just replaced them, which cured the problem. Previous ones have lasted between 100 and 130k miles so the one I have in now is getting on for failure time if these lifespans are typical.

1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad