Lazarus? well BX raised from near death + pics

Anything about BXs
Tinkley
1K Away

Lazarus? well BX raised from near death + pics

Post by Tinkley »

Good news BX'ers. My old Athena finally raised herself last night as it got dark. Once I had found the missing link not completing the wiring circuit she fired first 'turn' afterwards. I would estimate she still has most of her 90 odd horses present and correct unlike the other one. Interestingly with the same carb she idles at 1600 odd whilst the other one with same carb about 1000.
Surprisingly she released her handbrake and there is only superficial rust on the front discs!!!! not bad for 4 years (she was moved a few times though). She was a bit slow to raise herself on the front struts....but she got there.
I will post pics of her and her 'mate' up later. Will also seek opinion as to repairability. She will need lower front brace (panel behind bumper), upper one (though almost bendable/beatable), o/s wing, headlight, indicator, bumper, new bonnet o/s hinge, oh and a number plate!
One reason for requesting opinion is do I need more than the lights in situ and working to meet MOT?
Other one has reasonable corrosion on both rear sills and B pillar also on the rear lower quarter panel where it meets the door recess (ie usual places) plus a steering rack sloppy pin(?).
Lazarus (maybe she has a name now) has only slight B pillar rust which can easily be dealt with. She's never seen a welder yet though the inside n/s front wing is showing signs.

citsncycles
Over 2k

Re: Lazarus? well BX raised from near death + pics

Post by citsncycles »

If you can straighten out the wing enough to get the indicator in without leaving a sharp edge (doubtful looking at the pic), you may get away without replacing the wing for the MOT.

Bumper will be need repair or replacement for the MOT - sharp edges again.

As for the rest of the panelwork, it depends if you can get the bonnet shut and the headlights aligned. While nowhere near as bent as that, Timex's front panelwork is all out of line, yet gets through the MOT.

For replacement panels, I think Hadrian lists most of the front panelwork, and have stockists round the country.
Mike Sims
BX 19RD Estate Mk1 - Timex!
BX 4X4 Estate - Oh god, I've done it again!
BX 17RD MK1 - it called to me!
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
XM Turbo SD,GS Club Estate,Visa 17D Leader,HY Pickup,Dyane Nomad,Dyane 6,2CV AZL,Falcon S,Trabant P50,3x Land Rovers (88" series 1,109" series 2a FFR,series 2a Marshall ambulance),DKW F7, Lambretta LD150 x 1.5,Mobylette SP93,Ural Cossack,Ural M63,CZ 250 Sport,Honda Varadero 125,lots of bicycles & tricycles including (but not only) Sunbeams,Higgins & Bates!
KevR
1K Away
My Cars: It's all in my signature

Re: Lazarus? well BX raised from near death + pics

Post by KevR »

If you can get another wing, I wouldn't even bother trying to straighten that one, not even just for the MoT. Only takes ten minutes to change the wing, and a straight wing will immediately tell you how much everything else is out of line.
1990 BX TZD Estate ('the grey one', 1991 BX TZD Estate ('the white one'), 1982 2CV6 Charleston (in bits), 1972 AZU Serie B (2CV van), 1974 HY72 Camper, 1990 Land Rover 110 diesel LWB, 1957 Mobylette AV76, 1992 Ducati 400SS, 1966 VW Beetle, 1990 Mazda MX-5, 1996 Peugeot 106D, 1974 JCB 2D MkII, 1997 BMW R1100RS, 1987 Suzuki GSX-R1100, 1978 Honda CX500A, 1965 Motobecane Cady, 1988 Honda Bros/Africa Twin, 1963 Massey Ferguson 825, and a lot of bicycles!