Windows

Anything about BXs
HZman
Confirmed BX'er

Windows

Post by HZman »

I'll get to the windows shortly!
Having bought a turbo-diesel estate a few months ago as a project, already running the GTI and 1.9 diesel, it turned out to be more of a project than I thought.
It had been heavily rammed up the back, seemingly with the tailgate open, a heavy weight or something had been dropped on the offside front wing and there were several wiring issues, someone had been wire brushing the paintwork lacquer to clean it, and it appears to have been running on un-refined used chip fat. The fuel tank filter looked like it had been dipped in candy floss. No actual chips were recovered from the fuel tank.
Some of the wiring has now been by-passed but the nearside electric wing mirror has to be adjusted, despite there being 12v at the controls, by removing the door speaker, selecting the appropriate connector for left, right, up or down and attaching a wire from it to an external 12v battery. This is tricky in traffic!
The offside rear light cluster was so dim it looked like smoked glass but was actually coated inside with a white powder. This was removed before we take it across the channel and any sniffer dogs happen upon it!
We know have a working vehicle with the back end rebuilt, new bumper supports both ends, new offside front wing, proper rear exhaust box, proper steering wheel, new rear arm bearings, working interior lights, bonnet that shuts properly, etc. but it still hiccups occasionally and fast idles occasionally so there is still some fuel starvation problem or air getting in somewhere.
Anyway, back to the windows. The drivers window on the GTI fell in months ago so that is propped up with a bit of wood. The same just happened on the estate. The inside and bottom of the door is spotless but the window carrier is a pile of rust. The question is what do people normally do with this problem. The window motor, scissor action and wheels and electric controls are fine, the window is fine, it is just the carrier that is defunct. Is there a quick-fix plastic substitute or is raiding a scrap car the only answer.
Any help on this would be much appreciated.
Cheers
Peter
BX Bandit
Backslash Bandit
My Cars: Cars

Re: Windows

Post by BX Bandit »

You'll need a substitute! I'm not sure if you can re-fit a good channel to your existing glass (in case you want to keep the original glass) but some came with aluminium channel, possibly mk 1s. Also there is a green tint and a brown tint glass, so be sure to match

P.s. "no chips in the fuel tank" :mrgreen:
1990 BX 16V Platinum Grey
1990 BX TGD White
1960 Morris Minor Clarondon Grey
1971 Triumph 2000 Auto Valencia Blue
Mothman

Post by Mothman »

The aluminium channel is still available from Citroen main dealers. Malcolm will probably be able to give you the part number and the price is around 15 quid.
You will also need the rubber strip for the bottom of the window glass. Without it, the window will come off the metal clip after a few weeks which means you will have to do the job again.
Mk 1s and early Mk2s came with an ally channel guide, later models were steel which just rots away in the wet.
Its not a too difficult a job but it helps if you have someone to hold the glass whilst you do the fiddly bits. Be a good time to check out the window winder mechanism too as these can work but separate into 2 pieces which causes the window to wobble a bit and not seat properly.

Andy
citronut
Over 2k

Post by citronut »

here is price and part No.'s for front door chanel and rubber strip

Part Number Description Quantity Price excl. VAT Price incl. VAT Total incl. VAT Selection
95633346 WINDOW RETAINER CHANNEL 12.81 GBP 15.37 GBP 15.37 GBP

96041124 WINDOW RETAINER CHANNEL SEAL 10.19 GBP 12.23 GBP 12.23 GBP

rubber strip NFP but i think you might be able to use a length of bike ar car innertube for this

regards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
H reg CX saffari 2.5 TRI (now gone to Malaysia)
R reg xantia 1.9TD est (gone to meet its maker)
BX Bandit
Backslash Bandit
My Cars: Cars

Post by BX Bandit »

Mothman wrote:The aluminium channel is still available from Citroen main dealers.
That's handy to know!

Also, from bitter experience, don't be tempted to remove the outer window rubber/seal secured on the door itself, for the life of me I couldn't get the thing back on properly!
1990 BX 16V Platinum Grey
1990 BX TGD White
1960 Morris Minor Clarondon Grey
1971 Triumph 2000 Auto Valencia Blue
RxBX
Over 2k

Post by RxBX »

BX Bandit wrote:You'll need a substitute! I'm not sure if you can re-fit a good channel to your existing glass (in case you want to keep the original glass) but some came with aluminium channel, possibly mk 1s. Also there is a green tint and a brown tint glass, so be sure to match

Hi Neil, The Mk1's channels were made manufactured from Cad-plated Mild Steel 'C' section which were bonded onto the glass but too proved problematic as the bonding sometimes failed and then the windows fell into the shell of the doors :(

Hence the modification to the 'Pressed' on Aluminium channels which were introduced on the MK2 but then over time these started to return to Aluminium Oxide :roll:

Peter, I recommend that you take a read thro' THIS thread and the links within it to give you all the info you need to know in the replacement of the new channel and precautions too so as not to turn the glass into thousands of pieces when attempting this repair (As a certain forum member did) :lol:

Good luck !

:)
citronut
Over 2k

Post by citronut »

i dont remember seeing any BX door window chanel bonded onto the glass,
the earlier ones had steel chanels pressed onto the bottom of the glass, and they used to rust away,

regards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
H reg CX saffari 2.5 TRI (now gone to Malaysia)
R reg xantia 1.9TD est (gone to meet its maker)
RxBX
Over 2k

Post by RxBX »

RxBX wrote:
BX Bandit wrote:You'll need a substitute! I'm not sure if you can re-fit a good channel to your existing glass (in case you want to keep the original glass) but some came with aluminium channel, possibly mk 1s. Also there is a green tint and a brown tint glass, so be sure to match

Hi Neil, The Mk1's channels were made manufactured from Cad-plated Mild Steel 'C' section which were bonded onto the glass but too proved problematic as the bonding sometimes failed and then the windows fell into the shell of the doors :(

Hence the modification to the 'Pressed' on Aluminium channels which were introduced on the MK2 but then over time these started to return to Aluminium Oxide :roll:

Peter, I recommend that you take a read thro' THIS thread and the links within it to give you all the info you need to know in the replacement of the new channel and precautions too so as not to turn the glass into thousands of pieces when attempting this repair (As a certain forum member did) :lol:

Good luck !

:)
citronut wrote:i dont remember seeing any BX door window chanel bonded onto the glass,
the earlier ones had steel chanels pressed onto the bottom of the glass, and they used to rust away,

regards malcolm
Malcolm !
You've obviously not read the link I placed in my /\ post(And link's within it) as it would have have led you to Todds's PESKY WINDOW'S thread which just confirms the same as I initially stated !

From the Pesky Window thread:-
toddao wrote:I've had to fix my front windows more times than I can count now. Always the same problem : the metal channels that were originally glued to the glass ( in which the scissor mechanism moves), simply fall off. I've used various high performance glues and lastly very strong double sided tape which worked all last summer and until today..

First of the fine days for this year, pressed the button to lower the window and they've both come adrift again. Probably from not being used for several months. So now I'm looking for a better fix.

I heard there was a 'conversion kit' available at some point to make the Mk.1 windows like the later models. Does anyone know about this? Or have some good ideas how I can repair this permanently?

Thanks
:lol:

RxBX
Over 2k

Post by RxBX »

citronut wrote:here is price and part No.'s for front door chanel and rubber strip

Part Number Description Quantity Price excl. VAT Price incl. VAT Total incl. VAT Selection
95633346 WINDOW RETAINER CHANNEL 12.81 GBP 15.37 GBP 15.37 GBP

96041124 WINDOW RETAINER CHANNEL SEAL 10.19 GBP 12.23 GBP 12.23 GBP

rubber strip NFP but i think you might be able to use a length of bike ar car innertube for this

regards malcolm
Spotted a pair of used Smoked Tint Rear windows on E-bay, C/W with the Aluminium Rail/channels fitted to them, if your near to Taunton (Tom !) worth a cheeky bid just before the listings end for spares ?

Click on photo for link :wink:

citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

With bonded on channels on the Mk1, you'd think they'd have learned wit hthe GS - mine has 2 tabs with rollers bonded to the glass, which fall off, while later ones when to the channel with rubberpressed ontl the bottom of the glass.

I've found interior mirror bonding kits work on the GS, but haven't stripped any of Timex's doors yet to see what's fitted to it.
Mike Sims
BX 19RD Estate Mk1 - Timex!
BX 4X4 Estate - Oh god, I've done it again!
BX 17RD MK1 - it called to me!
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
XM Turbo SD,GS Club Estate,Visa 17D Leader,HY Pickup,Dyane Nomad,Dyane 6,2CV AZL,Falcon S,Trabant P50,3x Land Rovers (88" series 1,109" series 2a FFR,series 2a Marshall ambulance),DKW F7, Lambretta LD150 x 1.5,Mobylette SP93,Ural Cossack,Ural M63,CZ 250 Sport,Honda Varadero 125,lots of bicycles & tricycles including (but not only) Sunbeams,Higgins & Bates!
kbami8txd
Confirmed BX'er

Post by kbami8txd »

This is just an idea. the only stuff I know of that bonds glass well are the little kits to re stick rear view mirrors (the ones that stick to the window).. These come with some form of gauze as well as glue... The gauze and glue must be available in larger quantities ? worth some research ? Or buy abot ten of the little kits Ha ha
Mothman

Post by Mothman »

kbami8txd wrote:This is just an idea. the only stuff I know of that bonds glass well are the little kits to re stick rear view mirrors (the ones that stick to the window).. These come with some form of gauze as well as glue... The gauze and glue must be available in larger quantities ? worth some research ? Or buy abot ten of the little kits Ha ha
You dont need this, only the rubber strip and it wont pop out.

Andy