Aerial

BX Tech talk
Pogo
Confirmed BX'er

Aerial

Post by Pogo »

My BX no longer has it's arial, due to a quick decision after watching my friend having his XM aerial ripped off by the car wash!
Mine wouldn't unscrew and after unleashing the pliers on it it broke clean off!
Luckily I hava a spare mast, and I am hoping I may be able to get the broken off piece out with drills and easy outs etc, but I fear the worst.

Has anyone replaced the aerial and can they offer any advice / tips about removing the trim to get the wire out and back in without damaging anything?
How does the front of the headlining fix and how do you remove the A post trim sucessfully?

On the plus side, the car did complete a 1200 mile tour to Ireland and back without any other problems!
1990 Black BX GTI
citronut
Over 2k

Re: Aerial

Post by citronut »

trouble with drive trough car wash's is they not only rip parts of the car off, but also scratch the pait work to shreads,
ORIBLE THINGS DONT GO NEAR THEM :evil: :evil: :evil:
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
H reg CX saffari 2.5 TRI (now gone to Malaysia)
R reg xantia 1.9TD est (gone to meet its maker)
RobC
BXpert
My Cars: 1991 Citroen BX 16v

Post by RobC »

IRRC it's easy enough to unscrew the old mount just by taking off the trim by the sunroof controls - it just bolts through the roof. I can't remember what it's like on models without a sunroof, but assume there are just blanking plates in place?
1991 Citroen BX 16v
citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

On Hatchbacks without a sunroof there's a piece of plastic between the sun visor clips. there's a screw in each clip, then the whole lot comes off to reveal a hole where you can reach the aerial.

On Timex at least, there's a headlining coloured blank just rearwards of the plastic mentioned above, which I presume hides the aerial (it's certainly not accessed the same way as the hatchbacks), but it may be different on Mk 2's
Mike Sims
BX 19RD Estate Mk1 - Timex!
BX 4X4 Estate - Oh god, I've done it again!
BX 17RD MK1 - it called to me!
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
XM Turbo SD,GS Club Estate,Visa 17D Leader,HY Pickup,Dyane Nomad,Dyane 6,2CV AZL,Falcon S,Trabant P50,3x Land Rovers (88" series 1,109" series 2a FFR,series 2a Marshall ambulance),DKW F7, Lambretta LD150 x 1.5,Mobylette SP93,Ural Cossack,Ural M63,CZ 250 Sport,Honda Varadero 125,lots of bicycles & tricycles including (but not only) Sunbeams,Higgins & Bates!
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

..that_
Same on the Mk2 estates (no sunroof) I've seen, no need to remove A pillar trim as the wire detaches from the aerial base. I have a spare mount if that's the damaged part but the whole thing is fairly cheap and easily available from Citroen dealers, as it's shared with other models.

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
rutter123
Over 2k
My Cars: 90 Bx Tzd turbo ven red 295k
74 D Super 5 black
05 Volvo V50 2.0d 180k
65 Peugeot Boxer work van 280k

Post by rutter123 »

i have a very good complete aerial on my bx breaker should u need it.
90 BX Tzd turbo 294k SORN undergoing major surgery
90 BX Tzd turbo estate 46k awaiting surgery
65 Peugeot Boxer Van the new workhorse
52 Toyota Rav4 180k Bulletproof Jap reliability
Pogo
Confirmed BX'er

Post by Pogo »

Well, I got my drill out and managed to re-thread the hole to the correct size.
I had a spare aerial 'whip' which came with the car.
I'm glad to know the wire unscrews from the base though, that will make it much easier to replace the base if I need to.

Looking at aerials on ebay, they seem to be plastic whilst mine is some sort of metal (alloy?), what should be fitted, metal or plastic?, my friends XM (1997) has a plastic mount and appears of a different design.

And yes, I agree about automatic carwashes, it was one of those situations where thats all there was and I had a car covered in sand and salt in a foreign country!
1990 Black BX GTI
citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

There seems to be 2 different finishes or aerial - shiny and black. to my knoweledge, they are both metal.
Mike Sims
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
XM Turbo SD,GS Club Estate,Visa 17D Leader,HY Pickup,Dyane Nomad,Dyane 6,2CV AZL,Falcon S,Trabant P50,3x Land Rovers (88" series 1,109" series 2a FFR,series 2a Marshall ambulance),DKW F7, Lambretta LD150 x 1.5,Mobylette SP93,Ural Cossack,Ural M63,CZ 250 Sport,Honda Varadero 125,lots of bicycles & tricycles including (but not only) Sunbeams,Higgins & Bates!
Mothman

Post by Mothman »

Most Mk1s are a shiny metal Mike.

Andy
citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

Yep - Timex seems to be the only Mk1 about with a black one, but I don't know if that's due to it being changed or what Heuliez had available to fit - there's not exactly a lot of Mk1 estates to compare it to.
Mike Sims
BX14 TGE, - SOLD