Problems stripping/ reassembly of the rear height corrector.

BX Tech talk
bx petrol auto saloon
BXpert
My Cars: Citroens SAABs and Vauxhalls

Problems stripping/ reassembly of the rear height corrector.

Post by bx petrol auto saloon »

Dear All,
I have managed to aquire a repair kit for the rear height corrector, from Martin at Pleiades. The kit comprises off two identical type dust covers, one diaphragm with no centre hole, one diapragm with a centre hole, two identical metal 2 1/4 " ring clips and three LHM pipe end seals.
Today with the rear of the car on axle stands and the front on the floor and with the exhaust system lowered onto the floor, I managed to satisfactorily remove the rear height corrector. I have said corrector in the vice.
I have managed to remove the 8mm nut, cup washer, dust cover 1, metal plate, spring, circlip, and the flat washer. This is exactly where I am upto as of now. I have figured out that the diaphragm with the centre hole in, fits on the rear of the height corrector where the rod comes out of the back of corrector body.
The problem I am having is that there appears to be a large diaphragm still happily seated in the rear of the corrector body, that I can,t seem to manage to move at all,( I don,t want to pull it out any further as it seems to be not shifting at present ) and I don,t want to break anything.
The second problem I am having is that I haven,t seem to found the second diaphram, the one with no centre hole. :?
The third problem I am having, is that I have managed to fit the most rearward diaphragm, the one with the centre hole, which is a little fiddly, but I seem to have no chance at all of fitting the new metal ring. :roll:
Any help or guidance would be gratefully appreciated :oops:
Vince,
Passion Hydropneumatic Citroen,s

Cars;- 1993 White Citroen BX 1.6 TXi petrol
saloon auto with air-con & ABS.
47,594 Miles from new.
Owned for 3 years sorned.
1988 Silver SAAB 900i 2.0 8v F/lift,
saloon 5sp with 3 spoke Ronals,
69,000 Miles from new.
Owned for 15 years T & T.
citronut
Over 2k

Re: Problems stripping/ reassembly of the rear height correc

Post by citronut »

first thing to make a note of is the orientation of the ball end fitting, as this must go back exactly in the plain it was before dismantling,

secondly after removeing the one 8mm nut and washer from the under the dust cover without the hole,
then remove the disc and then prise off the alloy retaining ring around the outside of the diaphragm,
the ring is also the seat for the edge of the outer dust cover,

now with the one diaphragm removed remove the circlip,

you can peel the dust cover from the other end by stretching it over the ball bracket,

hold the ball bracket with grips and undo the other 8mm nut

then prise the alloy ring from that diaphragm,

unhook the edge of the other diaphragm from the corrector body,

regards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
H reg CX saffari 2.5 TRI (now gone to Malaysia)
R reg xantia 1.9TD est (gone to meet its maker)
bx petrol auto saloon
BXpert
My Cars: Citroens SAABs and Vauxhalls

Re: Problems stripping/ reassembly of the rear height correc

Post by bx petrol auto saloon »

Dear Malcolm,
Firstly Malcolm thank-you so very very much for your really kind and invaluable advice =D> :D
Secondly, please accept my sincere apologies for not replying sooner Malcolm :oops:
Thank-you so much Malcolm :D I had got up to where I had put on my thread, but I couldn,t for the life of me figure out how to get any further #-o I read your very kind reply Malcolm about 8 to 10 times and having much pondering looking at this height corrector sat on my vice in my shed ( thinking how on earth does this come apart any further ) Then finally the penny dropped, that you have to gently remove those allly rings to get it to come apart any further :roll:
Up to the point where I posted it on here Malcolm, thankfully I hadn,t moved the inner spindle, so thank-you so much for the " top tip " ( I didn,t know that one ) after reading your reply, I marked it so that it went back together absolutely in the same plain as you kindly commented on Malcolm :wink:
I wrote a list with little drawings, in pencil for the front parts and in biro for all the rear parts, so that I didn,t muck it up :)
With your very kind help Malcolm, I managed to successfully get the height corrector resealed and put back on the car and the sytem bled by 1pm on Saturday :D that just left me to rehang the exhaust sytem and take the rear off its axle stands and bleed the sytstem and do some Citronics and check for any leaks. Monday night she was back on solid ground and happily sleeping last night :D and back to being leak-free again :D
Once again, thank-you so very much indeed Malcolm =D>
Vince,
Passion Hydropneumatic Citroen,s

Cars;- 1993 White Citroen BX 1.6 TXi petrol
saloon auto with air-con & ABS.
47,594 Miles from new.
Owned for 3 years sorned.
1988 Silver SAAB 900i 2.0 8v F/lift,
saloon 5sp with 3 spoke Ronals,
69,000 Miles from new.
Owned for 15 years T & T.