Electric window regulator

BX Tech talk
Dominic
Confirmed BX'er

Electric window regulator

Post by Dominic »

It always amazed me that the one touch up/down switch worked so well on my tzd, now it doesn't.
It reaches the last centimetre on its upward travel, then something encounters what sounds like a missing tooth on a rack. The motor turns OK. I have taken the trim panel and the draught/sound proofing (?) off, but I cannot see where the offending components are. Does anyone have any knowledge/microfiche/drawings of what's inside before I go further...?
Dom
91 TZD
02 Picasso HDI
'12 DS5
83 Moto Morini 500
70 Fiat 850 Spider
Anything that turns money into noise...
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Re: Electric window regulator

Post by Dollywobbler »

More likely that the cog on the motor has a problem. It's possible to change the entire regulator, and I had to do so on my TXD as the window was very clunky indeed. With the one-shot system, it stops if it detects something solid. That should be the window frame, but in this case, the cog issue is likely to be causing it to stop early. I presume you can just push the up button to get it to close completely?

You'll ideally need a new regulator. They're a fiddle to fit, but not too traumatic. In my experience, they either come out of the door swiftly in one go or prove an utter faff. Made worse on my TXD because someone had obviously slapped a LOT of grease around to try and 'fix' the problem. I've never done the job with the aid of a manual, but you soon work out what needs unbolting - some bolts around the motor itself and a couple more on the linkage. Then you need to unlink it from the window glass -this can be 'interesting' too. You need to lower the window then unhook it from the rollers attached to the linkage.

Someone else may be able to describe this rather more clearly than I have!
Tinkley
1K Away

Re: Electric window regulator

Post by Tinkley »

You need to locate the motor/gear drive which is held on 3 M6 (10mm flat) machine screws or nuts. It is not hard to find once you have peeled back the foamy liner.

If you remove the window motor, make sure window is down first! you can tap the little U shaped pieces through the black plastic housing to access the worm gear mechanism. On mine it got stiff mainly because of corrosion on the steel rod as it slides through the phosphor bronze bush. If this is the case try cleaning the shaft and oiling, oiling, oiling whilst running the motor. This may help. Mines still a bit 'sticky' but it does work. Be careful if you adjust the worm gear tension, it is very sensitive - a worm gear is used because it will 'lock' in position without drive ie your windows won't drop down as per spur gears.
It might take a couple of goes to get the tension right.
I have also found the rotation of the motor affects the speed, indicating binding or something odd inside the motor itself. I adjust the worm tension to give the most even speed in any orientation and check its still working fine in the position that it will be reinstalled in.