restarting drained hydraulic system - best method?

BX Tech talk
tim
BXpert
My Cars: 2 1992 BX TXD estates

restarting drained hydraulic system - best method?

Post by tim »

Finally finished repiping the old horse and it's time for startup. I realised that there isn't any info on the process of refilling to hand so can anyone advise, i.e. which setting, normal or high? The brakes will also need bleeding, found some posts on that, i.e. bleed screw out 1/4 turn, run at 1000 rpm then pedal down on brakes until the bleed tubes are bubble-free (as usual with any caliper). And any further useful advice? I assume the pump won't need priming or is that wrong? The pipes drained out of course but there should be fluid left in the various systems?
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Re: restarting drained hydraulic system - best method?

Post by Dollywobbler »

Always a contentious point. Some say the pump should be primed, I've never primed a pump and have seen BXs behave just as badly whether primed or not.

Suspension on high and leave it running with the pressure regulator undone at first. Then tighten it. Could take several minutes to rise up. May respond from steering input, may not.

What I will say is check all of the bleed nipples will loosen before getting carried away. They often seize, especially on the rear wheels. If there's a problem, better to find out before you start trying to purge the system of air because if you have to remove a caliper to sort out a problem nipple, you'll have to re-bleed anyway.

You will also need some weight on the rear wheels. There are flanges on the base of the suspension arm, near the hub, that you can jack up on.
tim
BXpert

Post by tim »

OK, thanks for that!! Calipers have been rebuilt so no probs there. Why do the wheels need weight? I only have one jack so presumably one at a time, or just one, will do?
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

The rear brakes get power via the rear suspension units, cleverly giving adjustment for weight carried. If there is no weight on the rear wheels, the brakes will get no fluid and you therefore can't bleed them. I don't know enough about the circuits to know if you can do one side at a time.
Mothman

Post by Mothman »

Just let me know if you need a hand or a foot to press a pedal bud.

Andy
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

Or wedge a piece of wood between the steering wheel and brake pedal to keep the pedal depressed. Thanks to Todd for that neat tip!

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
Jaba
1K Away
My Cars: BX GTi, C3 Auto

Post by Jaba »

mat_fenwick wrote:Or wedge a piece of wood between the steering wheel and brake pedal to keep the pedal depressed. Thanks to Todd for that neat tip!
I use a broom from the seat to the pedal as I always have a broom of some sort to hand........
The Joy of BX with just one Citroën BX to my name now. Will I sing Bye Bye to my GTI or will it be Till death us do part.
MULLEY
Over 2k
My Cars: 1999 Xsara LX 2.0HDI (90) Hatch - Fern
2002 C5 2.0 HDI (110) Estate - Jasmine - SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - SORN
1992 TZD Turbo Estate - SORN
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired - SORN
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

Post by MULLEY »

I always prime the pump & only stick the hose back onto the lhm tank once the bubbles have stopped. I then turn the pressure regulator on & off repeatedly upto approx 20 times. Once the regulator has been closed so that it can re-pressurise, i then put the car into high & wait a couple of minutes to see if anything happens, if not i give the car some revs for about a minute, nothing, then i turn the steering on full lock from side to side, its probably stiff as hell to begin with & should then get lighter & lighter as the air is purged out. I check the lhm reservoir whilst still on high for the lhm level & usual put some more in, half a litre+ approx (before i would have put in 2.5 litres into the tank, before priming the pump, so approx 3odd litres in total). I then press the brake pedal whilst turning the steering & then go up & down the height settings & it should start to move, it takes a while before it goes to the correct heights. Works everytime, although a bit time consuming. If anyone has got a faster technique that always works, please let me know :)
2002 C5 2.0 HDI Estate - Jasmine - Now SORN
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - My daily
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired.

I'm not just a username, i'm also called Matthew.
kiwi
Over 2k

Post by kiwi »

So my lazy way of cleaning the reservoir then topping up and waiting for it to rise is not as easy as that?
1991 BX19 TZS 04/01/91 (Deceased)
1990 BX19 TRS 27/10/89 (Reborn)
1992 BX19 TXD (Ex UK - K 744 SDF) 15/06/92
1990 BX19 TZS Auto 06/11/1989
1992 BX TZD Turbo Estate (Ex UK) 1/07/91
tim
BXpert

Post by tim »

Just read the Haynes, maybe I should have done so first..... they state that the pedal simply needs to be pressed down rather than any weight or leverage applied to the rear arms themselves. I don't know about waggling steering - the front is on ramps, the rear on axle stands, it would have to be a pretty minimal wiggle! Maybe if I can get the brakes fully bled up first and the wheels on, this could be done after that.
Piece of wood trick noted. On a lot of hydraulic systems you need to 'pump' the system to get all the air bubbles out rather than apply continuous pressure to the pedal - I take it this won't be the case with the BX?
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

MULLEY wrote:i turn the steering on full lock from side to side, its probably stiff as hell to begin with & should then get lighter & lighter as the air is purged out.
If the wheels are on the ground and there is no power assist, you risk splitting the Hardy disk by turning the steering at this time. :shock: Don't ask me how I know! :oops:
1991 BX19GTi Auto
citronut
Over 2k

Post by citronut »

no need for weight on the rear wheels at all, just get the suspension functioning and fully up on its highest setting ( with wheels dangling is fine ) before bleeding the brakes, with it fully up on high it opens the flow fully to the rear brakes,

not usually any need to prime the pump either,
just let it sit there on idle with the regulator bleed valve open for about two minutes, then hold the revs at around 2,500rpm whilst closing the bleed valve

regards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
H reg CX saffari 2.5 TRI (now gone to Malaysia)
R reg xantia 1.9TD est (gone to meet its maker)
MULLEY
Over 2k
My Cars: 1999 Xsara LX 2.0HDI (90) Hatch - Fern
2002 C5 2.0 HDI (110) Estate - Jasmine - SORN
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - SORN
1992 TZD Turbo Estate - SORN
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired - SORN

Post by MULLEY »

I like your easier method Malcolm, i'll give that a try next time :)

Never even thought about the hardy disc being damaged way2go :( would it only do that if it was on its way out anyway??
2002 C5 2.0 HDI Estate - Jasmine - Now SORN
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - My daily
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired.

I'm not just a username, i'm also called Matthew.
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

I'm just thinking - I think I've only ever had to the resort to steering input when the car was either on grass or gravel. Tarmac or concrete could be very different I guess.

Glad to be corrected about the rear brake bleeding. That makes life easier!
RxBX
Over 2k

Post by RxBX »

tim wrote:Finally finished repiping the old horse and it's time for startup. I realised that there isn't any info on the process of refilling to hand so can anyone advise, i.e. which setting, normal or high? The brakes will also need bleeding, found some posts on that, i.e. bleed screw out 1/4 turn, run at 1000 rpm then pedal down on brakes until the bleed tubes are bubble-free (as usual with any caliper). And any further useful advice? I assume the pump won't need priming or is that wrong? The pipes drained out of course but there should be fluid left in the various systems?
Tim, have you not seen/read the thread for HP-PUMP PRIMING TIP ?

Hopefully it may be of help !

:)