How To Guide: Remove and retro fit Air Conditioning.

BX Tech talk
BX Bandit
Backslash Bandit
My Cars: Cars

How To Guide: Remove and retro fit Air Conditioning.

Post by BX Bandit »

As I am about to do this, I thought I'd try to document what I'm doing.

This will take some time to complete as I will retro fit at a later date, but removal has, in part, already started.

I know there are a few who have done the same and/or similar, so any pointers, contributions and help gladly received.

I'll invite the first bit of help: does any one know if the wiring loom for air con is an added plug in loom, or is it grafted into the original loom in a non plug and play way?
1990 BX 16V Platinum Grey
1990 BX TGD White
1960 Morris Minor Clarondon Grey
1971 Triumph 2000 Auto Valencia Blue
bx petrol auto saloon
BXpert
My Cars: Citroens SAABs and Vauxhalls

Re: How To Guide: Remove and retro fit Air Conditioning.

Post by bx petrol auto saloon »

Dear BX Bandit,
What a cool idea this will be 8) :D This will be one thread I will be reading and also inwardly digesting, with great pleasure =D> :-" and good luck with the upgrade and hope it all goes according to your plans =D>
Vince,
Passion Hydropneumatic Citroen,s

Cars;- 1993 White Citroen BX 1.6 TXi petrol
saloon auto with air-con & ABS.
47,594 Miles from new.
Owned for 3 years sorned.
1988 Silver SAAB 900i 2.0 8v F/lift,
saloon 5sp with 3 spoke Ronals,
69,000 Miles from new.
Owned for 15 years T & T.
Jaba
1K Away
My Cars: BX GTi, C3 Auto

Post by Jaba »

BX Bandit wrote: I'll invite the first bit of help: does any one know if the wiring loom for air con is an added plug in loom, or is it grafted into the original loom in a non plug and play way?
The loom is all bundled up together but you should be able to separate the a/c wiring from the loom with average difficulty in the same way that ABS wiring can separated out.There is not much of it really especially if you already have the twin radiator fans and relays installed.
The Joy of BX with just one Citroën BX to my name now. Will I sing Bye Bye to my GTI or will it be Till death us do part.
BX Bandit
Backslash Bandit
My Cars: Cars

Post by BX Bandit »

Thank you Vince, to be honest I think I need my head reading. I wasn't in methodical mode yesterday so I stopped.
I also want to add the TZD spec wiring loom - so many darn cables!

So Jaba, it's just a case of locating the relevant loom(s) and unbundling/disconnecting them, no snipping required?

The twin rad cooling fans are already in, but there are extra controls/cabling for these aren't there? Fr when the a/c is on?
Also I need to remove the wiring for the
Recirc fans
Pressure switch
Compressor
Cabin side controls.

There are also two extra relays under the little black box shelter that sits in the near side bulk head. Are these a/c related?
1990 BX 16V Platinum Grey
1990 BX TGD White
1960 Morris Minor Clarondon Grey
1971 Triumph 2000 Auto Valencia Blue
Jaba
1K Away
My Cars: BX GTi, C3 Auto

Post by Jaba »

Afraid so mate, there will be snipping where the a/c connects up with the existing cooling + blowing circuits, unless you want the extra pain of removing and installing those as well.
There are 3 relays for the twin rads somewhere under the bonnet usually then a further two for the a/c. They are all usually beside the LH blower.

Interestingly my TZD with no aircon seems to have the underbonnet connectors for the a/c bits neatly protected by plastic bags.
The Joy of BX with just one Citroën BX to my name now. Will I sing Bye Bye to my GTI or will it be Till death us do part.