Bleeding pressure regulator

BX Tech talk
Tinkley
1K Away

Bleeding pressure regulator

Post by Tinkley »

I have successfully grafted in the 1.6 B2C lump and she started third turn of the key!. However I am having no real joy bleeding/setting the regulator. The front seems to go up and down, less so the back. There are NO ticking noises at all from the regulator. I left the screw open for a while on the max height setting then shut it and the car rose up close to max. I then opened and shut the screw whilst at fast idle sat 1500 rpm. Still can't get the back to behave and too much weight in the steering (PAS). Is this a knackered pressure regulator/faulty valve inside? The Accumulator has done about 38k but was working OK, though the rear has been a bit slow to rise. It will not adjust properly to the height controls at all, maybe tries but just never gets there even at 3,000rpm.
Is it a case of keep bleeding? It just doesn't sound right without the cutting in and out noise, just too quiet.
Any tips would be most appreciated, thanks in advance.
Makes a pleasant change to have all the gears and no clutch release problems! Just was not expecting a hydraulic one!.
MULLEY
Over 2k
My Cars: 1999 Xsara LX 2.0HDI (90) Hatch - Fern
2002 C5 2.0 HDI (110) Estate - Jasmine - SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - SORN
1992 TZD Turbo Estate - SORN
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired - SORN
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

Re: Bleeding pressure regulator

Post by MULLEY »

Have you bled the brakes as it sounds like there might be plenty of air in the system. Malcolm also suggested that you open the pressure on the fdv & rev the car for at least 2 mins before tightening up the bleed screw on the fdv, i can't remember how many revs he suggested, if you do a search it was a recent thread. Have you checked the amount of lhm you have in the tank when on high?
2002 C5 2.0 HDI Estate - Jasmine - Now SORN
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - My daily
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired.

I'm not just a username, i'm also called Matthew.
Tinkley
1K Away

Post by Tinkley »

I carefully read what Malcolm and others suggested as per the other thread prior to starting the car. She was started with the pressure bleed screw released, run for a few minutes, stopped, restarted and revved up gently. Lever for ride height at Max all this time. After a 3rd session of about 4-5 mins at fast idle I shut the bleed screw and some life went into the system and the car started to move on her struts and the rear raised a bit. Not enough to get her off the side jacks though. Repeat bleeding has not yet resulted in a pressurised system so I will give it 30 minutes if necessary of bleeding. There obviously isn't enough pressure yet at the Flow Distributor as the warning light is staying on.
Plenty of LHM (not too old) but I'm not sure I need to bleed the brakes as the only disconnects were the reservoir to pump and the high pressure feed to the regulator. If I really need to get a lot of flow back through the system, maybe I'll try it.
I am more inclined to think its something in the regulator, as the pump is fine, the rest of the stuff worked fine just the combination of pump off newer engine to older hydraulic system can't quite pressurize. Possibly a bit of unwanted dirt has got in but I was fairly carefull to keep the pipe ends taped up and clean.
citronut
Over 2k

Post by citronut »

MULLEY wrote:Have you bled the brakes as it sounds like there might be plenty of air in the system. Malcolm also suggested that you open the pressure on the fdv & rev the car for at least 2 mins before tightening up the bleed screw on the fdv, i can't remember how many revs he suggested, if you do a search it was a recent thread. Have you checked the amount of lhm you have in the tank when on high?
me thinks theres a touch of :? :? :? seting in here Sir MULLEY

citroen used to state after opening the hydraulic system, with the "reculator " ( not FDV ) bleed vavle open, let engine idel for around 2 min's, the hold the RPM at about 2.500 whilst shutting the bleed valve,

Tinkley
the main suspension circuit is more or less self bleeding, and it wont make any difference continually bleeding the system,

as the front is raising this does not point to a faulty regulator, as you are reach system presure or there abouts

sounds to me either there aint enough citro blood in the tank as MULLEY says,

a slack pump belt, or even a week pump,

check the above in that order

regards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
H reg CX saffari 2.5 TRI (now gone to Malaysia)
R reg xantia 1.9TD est (gone to meet its maker)
citronut
Over 2k

Post by citronut »

Tinkley wrote: warning light is staying on.
Plenty of LHM (not too old) but I'm not sure I need to bleed the brakes as the only disconnects were the reservoir to pump and the high pressure feed to the regulator. If I really need to get a lot of flow back through the system, maybe I'll try it.
I am more inclined to think its something in the regulator, as the pump is fine, the rest of the stuff worked fine just the combination of pump off newer engine to older hydraulic system can't quite pressurize. Possibly a bit of unwanted dirt has got in but I was fairly carefull to keep the pipe ends taped up and clean.
maybe you pinched the pipe seal on refitting the main high presure line to the regulator,

although
when i saw this many years ago it split the accumulator sphere wide open, because it blocked the pressure going the route its meant to,

is the weight of the car on its wheels,at least the front end anyhow,

as i have seen them were i have had to place blocks of wood under the front wheels to firstly get me jack out, and secondly to get the front end to burst into life

regards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
Tinkley
1K Away

Post by Tinkley »

Thanks Malcolm. Yes, the car is on her wheels. I used a little hydraulic jack each side to get her off the normal (with car) jacks which were just holding her. Also needed the car weight to tighten one of the lower ball joints up properly. I will test as you suggest. The pump though did raise a car unraised for 2 years to its full height. However although there is no squealing the belt is a bit cracky on the inside, serviceable but wants replacing. Loads and loads of LHM - topped after something knocked off the pressure returns n/s front a while back, must have been a bit of branch or greenery down the local backroads.
Your last comment may be the problem though so I will release the input (from pump) pipe from regulator and check flow (could get pretty green!) but also seal. Don't want to blow stuff apart if I can help it. Thanks for the tip. I know the seal did not come out with the pipe end, and previously when replacing the front brake flexys' it was on the pipe or visible. A good strong light and a blunt cocktail stick might find it.
It would make the most sense, I've just got to go through it logically, thanks for your expert and experienced input.
Now sorted, thanks guys, reseating the pressure feed to regulator and adding a small ammount - 250ml of LHM then re following your bleed procedure and all was well again.
citronut
Over 2k

Post by citronut »

i'd be very worried about running the pump up with the main feed pipe to the regulator disconnected,

as you do know there is 2.600psi at that point :shock: #-o [-X :wink:

regards nalcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
Tinkley
1K Away

Post by Tinkley »

Thanks Malcolm, all sorted, reseated pressure input pipe to regulator, added 250ml LHM and re bled as per your instructions (on other thread) this time it all went as it should do. I've bled the system on these a few times before without issue but that was only from draining and changing the LHM (35k miles), not swapping components.
Had to retighten hydraulic pump belt after it squealed a bit after some minutes - getting used to working again!.
MULLEY
Over 2k

Post by MULLEY »

Glad you got it sorted, sometimes for no known reason they are just an absolute barsteward to get air out of the system & other times there's hardly any delay before the suspension starts to rise & fall correctly, pure luck i guess???

Yes Malcolm, i'm all over the shop these day's, family health issues, work stress caused by management & possibly redundancy on top, what day is it today ;) Bear with me, & i don't mind the piss being taken :)

citronut
Over 2k

Post by citronut »

MULLEY wrote: Yes Malcolm, i'm all over the shop these day's, family health issues, work stress caused by management & possibly redundancy on top, what day is it today ;) Bear with me, & i don't mind the piss being taken :)
likewise
seems life is throwing a load of crap about at the mow ,

on top of that all the senior moments

hope all your probs sort them selves sooner rather than later,

quite often things like redundancy work out for the best/better, as her in doors has found,
her new job in a nursing home all the staff are very friendly ( no back stabbing and bitchiness )

landed on her feet in the end

regards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
MULLEY
Over 2k

Post by MULLEY »

cheers mate, & glad your wife is happy, thats one of the most important things that'll make you happy as well :)